Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #46
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
To bring closure to this thread, I'm staying in APS-C. So for those who thought I was pretty set in my ways, I guess that proves I wasn't

I started selling off some things to get me some higher quality APS-C lenses, and a DA 35 Limited just showed up for a fantastic price that happened to be what I had already sold... so now that I bought that, after I sell the rest of the stuff I should be able to get a DA 21mm and have a great APS-C setup for my amateur needs

Maybe I need to put "long live APS-C" in my signature...
Congrats on the DA35 Limited. With its superb IQ and close focusing ability, it's a really versatile lens. I'm sure you'll love it... and should you manage to pick up the DA21 at some future date, I've no doubt you'll love that too

01-08-2020, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Congrats on the DA35 Limited. With its superb IQ and close focusing ability, it's a really versatile lens. I'm sure you'll love it... and should you manage to pick up the DA21 at some future date, I've no doubt you'll love that too
Indeed. My justification was twofold: normal FOV is how I see the world, and I didn't have a 1:1 macro lens...

It amazes me to think I paid less for this lens than I paid for my DA 35 2.4 Plastic Fantastic back in 2013 - and I bought the 35 2.4 when it was on sale!
01-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. My justification was twofold: normal FOV is how I see the world, and I didn't have a 1:1 macro lens...

It amazes me to think I paid less for this lens than I paid for my DA 35 2.4 Plastic Fantastic back in 2013 - and I bought the 35 2.4 when it was on sale!
Really?!? Wow... what a bargain! That's even better. Nice catch - enjoy!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-08-2020 at 02:30 PM.
01-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Really?!? Wow... what a bargain! That's even better. Nice catch - enjoy! It amazes me to think I paid less for this lens than I paid for my DA 35 2.4 Plastic Fantastic back in 2013 - and I bought the 35 2.4 when it was on sale!
To be fair, the DA 35 2.4 is the only lens I ever bought new... paid 185 dollars for it and I was quite happy for the performance for the price paid. It was my first good prime other than the M 50 1.7

01-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see the OP has stayed in the crop fold, which is probably sensible.

For future readers who might be tempted by cheap older Canon FF bodies, I'd rather shoot (and have shot) the old 1Ds body than the original 5D. It costs about the same -- $200ish -- and has real autofocus, unlike the old 5D. Amazing image quality at reasonably low ISO and is built like a tank. Another possibility for about the same price is the APS-H 1.3 crop 1D II, a real sports shooter.

I'd also pass on the Canon 50 1.4, which is kind of a dog in the Canon world. Get a cheap 50 1.8, or the pancake 40 2.8. Add in a used 85 1.8 and the world is your oyster.
01-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
For future readers who might be tempted by cheap older Canon FF bodies, I'd rather shoot (and have shot) the old 1Ds body than the original 5D. It costs about the same -- $200ish -- and has real autofocus, unlike the old 5D. Amazing image quality at reasonably low ISO and is built like a tank. Another possibility for about the same price is the APS-H 1.3 crop 1D II, a real sports shooter.
What do you mean by real autofocus, I'm not that familiar with those bodies.
01-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What do you mean by real autofocus, I'm not that familiar with those bodies.
The 1Ds has 45 autofocus points compared to nine in the 5D. The AF is faster and more reliable.

01-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Do those good Pentax lenses perform better on your Sony than the cameras they were designed for? Truly curious as you imply they do, "breathing new life" into them.
I don't own a Sony. However an older Sony FF mirrorless, as the OP discussed, is a logical and economic way of mounting that legacy 35mm glass to a FF sensor. With the EVF providing aids like peaking for manual focussing which is tricky on a DSLR's OVF.
01-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use my Sony A7 much now I have a K-1, but it still has its occasional uses for me.

01-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #55
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

To bring closure to this thread, I'm staying in APS-C. So for those who thought I was pretty set in my ways, I guess that proves I wasn't

I started selling off some things to get me some higher quality APS-C lenses, and a DA 35 Limited just showed up for a fantastic price that happened to be what I had already sold... so now that I bought that, after I sell the rest of the stuff I should be able to get a DA 21mm and have a great APS-C setup for my amateur needs

Maybe I need to put "long live APS-C" in my signature...
congrats on the limited

but beware

like the commercial

it may be hard to stop at one or two

this thread might be of interest

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com