Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Canon EOS 1D X Mark lll announced

New Canon EOS-1D X Mark III announced. I received an email from Canon Canada about it...$ 8,999 CAD I believe...

01-06-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talking about it in the thread directly beneath this one...

the C-new coming this year/aka the olympic model - PentaxForums.com
01-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thx, didn't realize there was already a thread.
01-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
not for me, I'll wait for the next Pentax camera.

01-07-2020, 04:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Canon EOS 1D X Mark lll announced
That's THE camera, a beast. Costs like a small car, and is built like a car. Canon delivered.
01-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's THE camera, a beast. Costs like a small car, and is built like a car. Canon delivered.
Looks to be like a phenomenal camera, but it cost more than many of my new cars ...up to the 1990's. Pricey item. Makes me realize how reasonably priced Pentax equipment can be. Over the past summer, I was taking pics with a Canon buddy and he was admiring the images my DF A 100mm F 2.8 Macro WR was producing...and also the build quality. He asked me how much it cost new and was shocked at the reasonable cost of my 100 Macro and K1.

Yep, I realize the new Canon EOS 1D X Mark lll is one of the absolute top pro cameras ...and I'm not comparing it to the K1 or any Pentax camera body...but just saying...we Pentaxians get an awful lot of bang for the Pentax buck.
01-07-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Looks to be like a phenomenal camera, but it cost more than many of my new cars ...up to the 1990's. Pricey item. Makes me realize how reasonably priced Pentax equipment can be. Over the past summer, I was taking pics with a Canon buddy and he was admiring the images my DF A 100mm F 2.8 Macro WR was producing...and also the build quality. He asked me how much it cost new and was shocked at the reasonable cost of my 100 Macro and K1.

Yep, I realize the new Canon EOS 1D X Mark lll is one of the absolute top pro cameras ...and I'm not comparing it to the K1 or any Pentax camera body...but just saying...we Pentaxians get an awful lot of bang for the Pentax buck.
If we want to be fair, if you add a few features to Pentax K1 (updated processors, conectivity, video) it will cost as much as D850, 5D Mark IV, A7R IV. These days people want also video options for example in their cameras due to the vlogging mania. Sony, Canon and Nikon take care of those people also, but with a cost.

Pentax seems focused more on:
- the "old" generation that are happy by shooting with vintage lenses for example
- landscape photographers who may use astrotracer, pixel shift, etc.

I'm curious if Pentax will continue the tradition with the upcoming APS-C or they will try to be more trend oriented. Each way they decide to go, the user base seem to buy enough Pentax gear to keep them in the market which is all that counts for them.
01-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
If we want to be fair, if you add a few features to Pentax K1 (updated processors, conectivity, video) it will cost as much as D850, 5D Mark IV, A7R IV. These days people want also video options for example in their cameras due to the vlogging mania. Sony, Canon and Nikon take care of those people also, but with a cost.

- the "old" generation that are happy by shooting with vintage lenses for example

I'm curious if Pentax will continue the tradition with the upcoming APS-C or they will try to be more trend oriented. Each way they decide to go, the user base seem to buy enough Pentax gear to keep them in the market which is all that counts for them.
I guess even if they are late to join they can not ignore the trend forever. Bringing in some video features is a must. Also for business reasons Knew will be more expensive than K3 at launch, so Pentax has to offer more to make price easier to swallow

01-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Good points. I've always been a stills photographer myself and even though I have a number of cameras...both DSLR, mirrorless and dedicated video cameras over the years... that shoot video.

I find for the most part we rely on the video of my wife's newer Apple Cell phone. Mostly because it's convenient, easily accessible, always with us and does a surprisingly good job. I realize that's me...and my wife...and probably isn't representative of many people who use DSLR's.....or working professionals who require cameras that can take both top notch stills and video.

I'm from the 'older' generation and although don't use many of my vintage lenses on modern DSLR's...I prefer to use my newer digital lenses, although there are a few vintage lenses I still use on DSLR.

You mentioned and I quote...''I'm curious if Pentax will continue the tradition with the upcoming APS-C or they will try to be more trend oriented. "

Good question. Older photographers are eventually going to pass on and many companies concentrate on the younger generations as they are looking at locking in this demographic for life time business. Chances are...of course...that the younger demographics will be around longer than older demographics.

There is an old American auto business quote that has always made sense to me. Apparently a GM executive said, back in the 1950's, you can always sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car. The same may apply to cameras.

Les
01-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

At equivalent feature set and quality, pentax cameras are cheaper than competition.
01-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Older photographers are eventually going to pass on and many companies concentrate on the younger generations as they are looking at locking in this demographic for life time business. Chances are...of course...that the younger demographics will be around longer than older demographics.
Even younger generations get old eventually. Some camera companies might decide to pursue younger female customers (Pentax is one example of a company that tried and failed), but the overall trend is that serious cameras appeal mostly to older males and people who are attracted to unserious cameras are happy with the free ones attached to their phones. It is just like MILCs with smaller sensors, you would think the size advantage of mirrorless would make these models more successful, when in fact the only way to sell a MILC is to put a bigger sensor in it so there is no size advantage to being mirrorless. With a shrinking pool of serious camera buyers, what does sell is going to become more limited.
you can always sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car. The same may apply to cameras.
It is very true with cars, but I'm not sure it applies equally well to cameras. If there is such a thing as a young man's camera, it doesn't seem to appeal to old men and the few young people I know who are trying to earn money with a serious camera are using DSLRs, so it seems that you can sell an old man's camera to a young man.
01-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Even younger generations get old eventually. Some camera companies might decide to pursue younger female customers (Pentax is one example of a company that tried and failed), but the overall trend is that serious cameras appeal mostly to older males and people who are attracted to unserious cameras are happy with the free ones attached to their phones. It is just like MILCs with smaller sensors, you would think the size advantage of mirrorless would make these models more successful, when in fact the only way to sell a MILC is to put a bigger sensor in it so there is no size advantage to being mirrorless.
It may turn out that younger men who are attached to their phones today will remain attached to their phones when they become older; the phone companies are trying to provide better cameras in parallel to the customers's needing better cameras, and so far there is little evidence of the company's failing. As far as size is concerned, most words about size seem to have come from DSLR supporters - MILC supporters talk about EVF instead.
01-08-2020, 02:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Good points. I've always been a stills photographer myself and even though I have a number of cameras...both DSLR, mirrorless and dedicated video cameras over the years... that shoot video.

I find for the most part we rely on the video of my wife's newer Apple Cell phone. Mostly because it's convenient, easily accessible, always with us and does a surprisingly good job. I realize that's me...and my wife...and probably isn't representative of many people who use DSLR's.....or working professionals who require cameras that can take both top notch stills and video.

I'm from the 'older' generation and although don't use many of my vintage lenses on modern DSLR's...I prefer to use my newer digital lenses, although there are a few vintage lenses I still use on DSLR.

You mentioned and I quote...''I'm curious if Pentax will continue the tradition with the upcoming APS-C or they will try to be more trend oriented. "

Good question. Older photographers are eventually going to pass on and many companies concentrate on the younger generations as they are looking at locking in this demographic for life time business. Chances are...of course...that the younger demographics will be around longer than older demographics.

There is an old American auto business quote that has always made sense to me. Apparently a GM executive said, back in the 1950's, you can always sell an old man a young man's car, but you can't sell a young man an old man's car. The same may apply to cameras.

Les
I'm looking at the new generation (16 to 23 years old) and they want modern gadgets. I go out with a few students from time to time to shoot and they are far more interested in the touchscreen of their camera, in their flip screen for vlogging all day long, in eye af and so on rather than pixel shift or astrotracer for example. They are used to one year updates from their smartphones and if if they are not upgrading their camera each year, they are so interested in trendy features. And you can't blame them since they were born with technology. I didn't know how a mobile phone looks like until I was 17 years old...

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 09:50 AM ----------

At equivalent feature set and quality, pentax cameras are cheaper than competition.
If you talk about image quality, then yes, Pentax is cheaper than equivalent cameras. If you talk about features, then it depends on what you shoot and how important are those features for you. For example, I don't need pixel shift, astrotracer, GPS. But I do enjoy eye af, large area af, wifi tethering via smartphone with full control over settings, touch and drag af points, and stuff that help me get the shots faster. Each time I use the joystick on DSLR to change the af points it seems that I'm wasting time.
01-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If you talk about image quality, then yes, Pentax is cheaper than equivalent cameras. If you talk about features
Image quality is one thing, for sure. On the other hand, Pentax offer some features that others don't have, such as pixel shift and hand held pixel shift, astrotracer, AA simulator, composition adjust (shift), the way screen articulates, build quality, dual sided IR remote. Competitors of Pentax offer more product / lens options, but when a Pentax product exist the value is usually slightly better. Of course there is no Pentax equivalent to 1Dx III, that's what I call superior choice of options with Canon. However I find Canon lenses to be good, I don't find EOS R to be particularly solid, a little plasticy to my taste, and that doesn't mean it's doesn't perform to take great photos, it's just a philisophy of canon how to calibrate the amount of material they decide to put on cameras versus lenses.
01-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

On the other hand, Pentax offer some features that others don't have, such as pixel shift and hand held pixel shift, astrotracer, AA simulator, composition adjust (shift), the way screen articulates, build quality, dual sided IR remote.
Sony has 2 versions of pixel shift, Panasonic and Olympus have it also. It's not a unique Pentax feature anymore. If you look at all the features you listed, most of them are for landscape photographers. Even on a poll regarding the use of astrotracer, most of pentaxians never used it or used it just a couple of times. Same with AA simulator (it's either on or off). Composition adjust is nice, but tilt shift lenses offer better solution for the ones who really need such an option. Build quality is good, but saying that other don't have the same build quality cameras isn't true.

Competitors of Pentax offer more product / lens options, but when a Pentax product exist the value is usually slightly better.
Again, depending on what you shoot. What use do I have of a K-3 II that has 8fps but the af can't keep up with the speed? What use do I have of K1 if it takes 20s to clear a burst of 7-9 images? Sure, if you shoot landscape or studio, then you don't need speed or fast af.

However I find Canon lenses to be good, I don't find EOS R to be particularly solid, a little plasticy to my taste, and that doesn't mean it's doesn't perform to take great photos, it's just a philisophy of canon how to calibrate the amount of material they decide to put on cameras versus lenses.
And that's why Canon, Sony and Nikon are leading the market, because they have different choices for different needs. I don't shoot often in bad weather and when I do, I use rain cover for me, for my camera and lenses. Not even 6D failed me as long as I was protecting it with rain covers. In the sport department Sony still has to catch up in a few areas such as: speed and buffer, pro support, battery life, durability. Sure, A9 II can shoot 20fps, but with electronic shutter that can lead to banding when shooting under led lights and if you switch it to mechanical shutter it shoots only 10fps vs. 16fps 1Dx III.