Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bridge Camera for Photographer with Visual Impairment

Hi All - I have a friend with MS who is still strong and active but has declining eyesight that's only going to get worse. She has expressed an interest in taking up photography, in particular nature photography (squirrels, birds, dogs and other small animals) and landscapes in her new home in Florida. She has no pretensions of becoming a fine photographer, just wants the pleasure of making some images of things she sees. She doesn't want to spend a lot of money or face a steep learning curve. I have suggested a bridge camera like a Pentax X70, but for the life of me I haven't been able to remember or confirm whether you can compose using the rear screen with these, or have to use the viewfinder. Can anybody fill me in, or make some suggestions of a good, low-priced bridge camera that allows composition on the rear screen?

01-07-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Hi All - I have a friend with MS who is still strong and active but has declining eyesight that's only going to get worse. She has expressed an interest in taking up photography, in particular nature photography (squirrels, birds, dogs and other small animals) and landscapes in her new home in Florida. She has no pretensions of becoming a fine photographer, just wants the pleasure of making some images of things she sees. She doesn't want to spend a lot of money or face a steep learning curve. I have suggested a bridge camera like a Pentax X70, but for the life of me I haven't been able to remember or confirm whether you can compose using the rear screen with these, or have to use the viewfinder. Can anybody fill me in, or make some suggestions of a good, low-priced bridge camera that allows composition on the rear screen?
If the bridge camera doesn't work out then m43 gx-1 with a 45-200 Panasonic might.
01-07-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have my Pentax X90 bridge camera that I sometimes take out if I want something light; takes surprisingly good photos. Yes, there’s a toggle button next to the viewfinder that switches between the EVF and the rear LCD.
01-07-2020, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Panasonic bridge cameras are well worth looking at... I have a little Panasonic DMC-FZ62 (I think it's the DMC-FZ60 in the US) that can be picked up used for USD $150 or considerably less depending on condition. It produces excellent quality images given the class of camera and sensor size, has plenty of automatic and semi-automatic modes and full manual control. The EVF is decent too. About the only thing missing is raw file capture, but you can't really grumble at that for the price. It's so light and easy to handle. On days where I don't want to carry a DSLR, it's a more than adequate tool and has rewarded me with some lovely photos...

01-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all for the great ideas and input. I have passed them on to my friend and hope to hear from her that she has bought a camera and is having fun with it. Who knows, maybe I can get her interested in joining the forums some time in the future. Again, thanks! Pentax Forums is the best place to be on the internet.
01-08-2020, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad we could assist.