Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 11:43 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
I found a 'decent' camera for shooting pentax glass! :P

After seeing some examples of other people using one on the forum I figured I'd try out an emount camera again, and I'm pretty satified with my experience with FA* glass, and with the 20mm A glass I have too.

Feature/setupwise the fs5 is pretty easy to rig up too, and the weight is about the same as a gripped K-1 or a 645Z so I can still handhold it.

I'll make some proper videos soon

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
01-14-2020, 01:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always thought the power zoom feature on certain pentax zoom lenses would be useful for videography, does the mount adapter support it?
01-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I always thought the power zoom feature on certain pentax zoom lenses would be useful for videography, does the mount adapter support it?
The old PZ lenses always seemed pretty loud to me.

I’d be worried about zooming being audible during filming.

-Eric
01-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Unfortunately nobody has made a 'smart' E-mount to K/KAF mount adapter. Metabones could probably make one, but I bet their PM/biz people dont see a market for it. With some cleverness I bet you could make an arduino do the things and slap it in a 3d printed casing, but thats a future project.

01-14-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I’d be worried about zooming being audible during filming.
not much of a problem if you use a shock mounted external microphone with the appropriate pattern for noise rejection.

Last time I did a video for a photo studio shoot, my colleague and I were miced up with a pair of wireless lavalier mics, they only had one boom mic to pick up ambient sound. No on camera mics were used.
09-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
The fs5 is definitely aimed for the camcorder market. The grip integrates a shock mount for a shotgun mike and a nearby XLR input with optional phantom power. (and a second phantom power input at the rear). There's also an onboard mic on top of the top grip but it has the performance you'd expected from an embedded camera mic.