Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seeking mirrorless to use legacy glass on...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

I'm at a crossroads here... I have some MD mount glass that I'd love to use without added glass in adapter.

I figured if I get a mirrorless, I can basically use all my Pentax, Zuiko, EOS, MD, Yashica.... lenses in one camera....

Now - my crossroads is where should I go from here?

Full Frame A7ii
APS-C Fujifilm X-E1

I was also thinking of 4/3s or micro 4/3s but my thinking (and a PFs comment on it) is leading me towards the FF since all my legacy glass is FF

Budget is the big issue (otherwise why bother asking here)... I have to set my ceiling at around $350-400.

I'd LOVE to have image stabilization in camera.

Any suggestions?

01-22-2020, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Forum Member

A bought a Panasonic GX-80/85 for the same reason.

It is small, it is cheap, it has image stabilisation better than on the K1.
Of course the sensor is small, I would not recomend to replace a K1 by M43, but it is a good camera for day you did not like to carry the heavy gear.

Olaf
01-22-2020, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #3

Manual lenses yes, some AF lenses yes, but with caveats.

I have a7III, and I like my m42 lenses with it, as the focus peaking it pretty nice, and a neat APSC crop mode. Nothing that I've noticed as nice as the green button though.

I have the Sigma MC11 adapter, and Sigma claims that it only works with some of their EF lenses, but a 24-105 L seems fine, video AF isn't great though. I also have some Contax/Kiev RF lenses, and even a Jupiter 12 fits. I will eventually get an Adaptall adapter too.

Sony's UI is daunting, and so many buttons, but many can be customized.
01-22-2020, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung NX is worth a look, being a bit "off brand" you might be able to pick up a s/h one for a great price like I did. I've been pretty happy with my NX20, it's easy to use with MF lenses most adapters available, good evf, one button magnified view for focus, and it's apsc. If you go M43 then almost everything vintage is effectively telephoto due to 2x crop factor.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-22-2020 at 11:32 AM.
01-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Darkover Quote
A bought a Panasonic GX-80/85 for the same reason.

It is small, it is cheap, it has image stabilisation better than on the K1.
Of course the sensor is small, I would not recomend to replace a K1 by M43, but it is a good camera for day you did not like to carry the heavy gear.

Olaf
Looks good on paper... the M4/3 bothers me a bit though - already my Rokkor 58/1.4 will be at 116mm aspect.

I'll nevertheless add it to my short list - thanks!
01-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
I'm at a crossroads here... I have some MD mount glass that I'd love to use without added glass in adapter.

I figured if I get a mirrorless, I can basically use all my Pentax, Zuiko, EOS, MD, Yashica.... lenses in one camera....
Tough decision, though the cost, quality, and nature of available adapters should heavily influence your choices. Things can get very expensive and full-manual aperture grows tiresome for other than tripod work.

Steve
01-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Forum Member

I bought on Panasonic lens. The 20/1.7. It is cheap, small and has good quality. It is not so easy to adapt wide lens to M43, so perhaps one original lens is a good idea and it gives you AF in case you need it sometimes.

BTW: The biggest problem, I am still thinking fullframe. So you think oh I can't use 20mm it is to wide. Even if you can do the math, it feels wrong.

The biggest plus: If you read a pentax lens test that said: The center is good, but the edges are a little bit soft, M43 makes it to a superb lens. :-)
And you can use fast lens like a 50/1.4 wide open! This helps to lower the ISO and help for the noise.

01-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Samsung NX is worth a look,
Thanks for the suggestion - not a bad idea actually, especially if it gets discontinued as it will be inexpensive (and all I need are adaptors and my old glass) = the lack of in camera image stabilization is the one thing stopping me right now.

---------- Post added 01-22-20 at 01:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Tough decision, though the cost, quality, and nature of available adapters should heavily influence your choices. Things can get very expensive and full-manual aperture grows tiresome for other than tripod work.

Steve
I can deal with full manual aperture - I even use my A and F series Pentax glass manually without the A.

Adapter costs - I'd like:
1. for K mount (which by adding a M42-PK on it that I already have will make it useful for 2 mounts).
2. for MD mount
3. for OM mount

So,,, loking at an additional $60 on top of the camera?

---------- Post added 01-22-20 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I have a7III, and I like my m42 lenses with it, as the focus peaking it pretty nice, and a neat APSC crop mode. Nothing that I've noticed as nice as the green button though.
I'm trying for an A7ii under $400... I love that it has the in camera stabilization...

If I could have the A7 with stabilization I'd be sold... I do not want all the gizmos that come with it (AF and all that). I just really see it as a medium to use old MF lenses of any mount.
01-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
I also have some Contax/Kiev RF lenses, and even a Jupiter 12 fits.
Did you spring for the Amadeo or Kipon adapter?

Steve
01-22-2020, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

My advice is, go with the Sony a7ii if you can find one around your budget.

For the Pentax lenses my advice is for you to get a “dumb” connector like this: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Control: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo.
It will let you use any Pentax lens with or without aperture ring.

Best regards,
01-22-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, if you want cheap, go for the Fuji X-E1 and a K&F concept k mount/x mount adapter with aperture ring. The Fuji recently cost me £90 and the adapter another £25. The adapter moves the lever on the back of the k mount lens so you can use any AF lens, with or without an aperture ring on it. I had my 10-17mm fish eye on mine and the 40mm xs also works a treat. The pentax-m mounts work especially well, as do m42 (you just put the m42 adapter in the k/x adapter and boom) the camera is a 16mp sensor. You have a really good evf with peaking. You can also click the rear dial to zoom in for focusing. Images are very sharp and the jpeg film simulations, especially the custom ones, are stellar. The only thing missing is ibis but then, its only £90
01-22-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you spring for the Amadeo or Kipon adapter?

Steve
No, an ebay special - one of the type where they take a Kiev mount, weld it to a E mount connector, and call it good. It works, but it's sloppy, but honestly doubtful I would spend more on the adapter than what I paid for all my lenses put together. If I had some nice Nikon or Zeiss lenses though...

I think with shipping from the Ukraine, I got the adapter for like $25.

The biggest problem with an ebay special, is that it doesn't have a stop at minimum focus, the helical can actually rotate completely out, and I don't want to lose my Jupiter 3, so just have to remember to be careful. The Jupiter 12 doesn't have that problem with the outer bayonet.
01-22-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve used an original A7 for years for my collection of old MF SLR lenses: Pentax, Leica, Canon, Nikon, Minolta, etc. They work great, and are easier to manual focus in any light, even without focus aids. I will use magnification at times, but just judging the normal image is very close. The VF is always bright even in dark interiors. I prefer center spot metering, picking a spot that makes the VF look right, then locking exposure and re-framing. Yes, no auto diaphragm, but it’s easy to view & focus anyway.
I’ve used cameras without any stabilization for 50 years, so I don’t miss it. Don’t see a reason to upgrade, as it does what I want.
01-22-2020, 08:56 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also use A7 with legacy glass and it works great. Smaller sensors would cripple the experience as maybe the most important point with adapting lenses for me is to get full FOV from the lenses. I have tried adapting lenses on APS-C cameras, but it just don't work out as well. With (first curtain) electronic shutter enabled I do not miss image stabilization that much, as I can use fairly long shutter speeds anyway.
01-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I’ve used an original A7 for years
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I also use A7 with legacy glass and it works great.

Thank you both for sharing your piositive experiences with the orig A7 - it is back on the list along side A7ii - I do believe an A7 is findable at about $350-400 (body only).

Cheers!