Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It takes quite some time to get my film back to me so this is from the X700. Not bad for a quick walk around the yard with 15+ year old film that was stored in all temps, and processed through Rite-Aid.(sent to some Fuji lab)

Attached Images

06-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #122
Veteran Member

That lens will be simple to fix, its an MD series so they are fairly simple unless the crud is between the sealed elements.
06-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are talking about that speck in the upper right corner, that must have been on the outside of the lens because it is not in any of the other pics.
06-15-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So this X570 came in the mail today. It is funny what people will put together in their kit. It did not come with a lens, but I had an extra. It did come with the WinderG, the 2x tele, and the Nikon flash. lol

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
06-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Film in general has been dying for years......it's hanging on only on due to hobbyist, So yes, film cameras are a niche hardware nowadays.
06-15-2020, 11:28 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
If you are talking about that speck in the upper right corner, that must have been on the outside of the lens because it is not in any of the other pics.
No....I was referring to your earlier pic with the lens next to some grips looking very dusty.

Its an MD so the tough part is getting the beauty ring off the front, ormally I ise some sticky tape and then press down on it with an empty pill container I have for just that job. Once the beauty ring is off everything else is held togethef with JIS screws so no lens spanners needed. Very easy to take down.

I did a Nikon last weekend that was a perisher. It looked very simple but there were a couple of booby traps for the unwary in it. Nothing that couldnt be doped out but annoying just the same. If you ever thought Minolta MDs were cheaply made a Nikon E series shows you just how cheap a lens can be made....frighteningly awful.

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 11:35 PM ----------

Ps I have film on its way back, lab has been shut due to Covid but hopefully tonite I will be coming home to some film to look at.
06-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have googled "best minolta cameras" and there seems to be as many opinions as there are users. So I am asking for all your opinions as well.
There is only one best, and that's the one I don't have. . .

My next target is their first SLR, the SR2.

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Les...thats weird, I did acquire an XE at one point but it was a dishonest eBayer and the camera was junk and went back, it felt a lot larger in my hands than a Pentax KX but it never went near my other cameras as it was dull of mould and in terrible shape. Quite surpised in your pics as it seemed so much larger and heavier closer to a Nikon F with a photomic head.
Yeah, seems auction site descriptions never match reality.
If you're used to the post OM series released cameras, everything will seem bigger!

---------- Post added 06-16-20 at 10:18 AM ----------

Les, I must have read all that information at least three times before it started to sink in. lol

So many opinions and so many reasons for going with one camera over another. Like all manufacturers, there are good cameras in each series. The SRT 102/303, the XD11/7, the XG-M, X570, X700, with the XG-M and X700 giving you more auto features. The XD11/7 seems to be a more professional level, along with the X570. Of course these are just my musings after spending too much time absorbing all that info. 😄
Early on, it was a matter learning semantics for sure. Even though those were of my era, I never got into it until after DSLRs were released - oddly enough

For me the best is one that is fully functional and accessories available.

06-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #128
Pentaxian

So this X570 came in the mail today. It is funny what people will put together in their kit. It did not come with a lens, but I had an extra. It did come with the WinderG, the 2x tele, and the Nikon flash. lol
Looks like some car models in the background, RC types? My current obsession!
06-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mel, that crud was all on the outside of the lens. After cleaning it all off, the lens was crystal clear.

Les, those are model cars. They are my first love, everything else are just mistresses. 😁

I went through an R/C phase years ago. 1/10 mainly, both gas and electric. I liked building them more than running them. Same with R/C planes. I will say that the R/C rock crawlers are very tempting to get into.
06-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Les, those are model cars. They are my first love, everything else are just mistresses. 😁

I went through an R/C phase years ago. 1/10 mainly, both gas and electric. I liked building them more than running them. Same with R/C planes. I will say that the R/C rock crawlers are very tempting to get into.
You can do much with them . . .

06-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that isn't nice Les! 😁

I have enough squirrels running around without you throwing a new one into the mix. 😝

Another question about fungus. I noticed in other discussions that some people are paranoid about a lens with fungus being anywhere near their other lenses. Does it really contaminate so easily?

I also was able to solder that wire on the 102 and now the meter works.

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 06-16-2020 at 12:35 PM.
06-17-2020, 12:17 AM   #132
Veteran Member

I cant say of it really does migrate lens to lens. I have had a few with fungus but I always strip and peroxide the lens and then give it 20 minutes of UV lamp a d try to air the lenses with sunlight every month. So far so good but an XGM I got off ebay has fungus in its prism... that wont be going anywhere near other cameras or lenses. What a job thats going to ne to replace a prism in an X series, i got it cheap as a test to see if I really can swap prisms over. Theres only about a zillion screws to remove, solder joints to remove and a fragile super thin flexible circuit board loaded with sensitive electronics....what could possibly go wrong
06-17-2020, 12:33 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Its an MD so the tough part is getting the beauty ring off the front, ormally I ise some sticky tape and then press down on it with an empty pill container I have for just that job.
By no means I'm an expert as taking the lenses apart scares me a bit but this part I find very easy - I use a big rubber stopper (for wine making) to unscrew this ring.
The type I'm sepaking of:
Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies Rubber Stopper- Size 5.5- Drilled: amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I did it a few times when I bought lenses with dirty front element and taking the plastic ring off made cleaning much easier.
06-17-2020, 09:57 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Yep that will work too, I have a collection of rubber stoppers which are handy for removing lots of stuff.

Some beauty rings though can be tough to get off, I use some small rolls or balls of sticky tape and then press onto the tape using an old pill bottle, if its likley to be very hard I cover the lens off with a lens cloth so the glass doesnt take any hits from tape glue.
06-17-2020, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will have to see what the hardware store carries.

I exercised a camera today. It will probably take 6 wks to get the film back...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo