Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
And that is why Minolta will never be as dead as someone's acting career . . .
Way to go Les !

😂

So I have been keeping a close watch on craigslist, and even though it wasn't free,😝, I brought home a Pentax Spotmatic with a Takumar lens today. I also contacted a person on craigslist who lives about a six hour drive from me and is mailing me a Canon AE1 Program with kit lens, second canon wide angle, vivitar zoom, and canon flash. Super deal on that package. Really nice 75 year old gentlemen who couldn't find anyone local to buy it.

06-01-2020, 11:43 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Ugh pew pew...AE1 eeeek a nightmare to work on....run away if there. Anything weong with it at all. Especially if it has the plastic FD lenses as they are nigh impossible to work on.

I run away from Canon unless its minty as its too much headache.

I had a weird dream last night of being in a photography shop and finding a mint in its box XM that I haggled over and got for £500 and then it turned into a nightmare as I had to explain it to my partner damn I am having nightmares and dreams about Minolta now
06-01-2020, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
damn I am having nightmares and dreams about Minolta now
Lol that's serious
06-04-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

Passing by an ordinary photo lab I spotted Minolta MD 50/1.7 lens on the display, between other "old" stuff, as a decoration. I decided to ask whether accidentally it might be for sale... The guy was a bit surprised but happily got rid of it for the equivalent of $12

06-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
Passing by an ordinary photo lab I spotted Minolta MD 50/1.7 lens on the display, between other "old" stuff, as a decoration. I decided to ask whether accidentally it might be for sale... The guy was a bit surprised but happily got rid of it for the equivalent of $12
Score !

Right place, right time. Good one Chris.
06-05-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

Well this week Inhave bagged another x500 and an XGM for refurb plus yet another 50mm f1.7 and some original Minnie lens caps all for about £30 the lot. The X500 is going to need some leatherette but other than that is in good shape.

It will have to get in the queue tho as this weekend I am working on the Yashica Auto Electro spidey cam. Last weekend I spent the whole two days on a ghastly Helios 44.......never again !
06-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Well this week Inhave bagged another x500 and an XGM for refurb plus yet another 50mm f1.7 and some original Minnie lens caps all for about £30 the lot. The X500 is going to need some leatherette but other than that is in good shape.

It will have to get in the queue tho as this weekend I am working on the Yashica Auto Electro spidey cam. Last weekend I spent the whole two days on a ghastly Helios 44.......never again !
So when do we get to see them?

😁

06-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is an unusual combination on that is on sale - Samsung NX body, adapter and Minolta 50mm f/1.7.

Camera Samsung nx3000 + 50mm Lens Minolta MD | eBay

There is still life left in old Minolta glass.
06-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
So when do we get to see them?

😁
X500 isnhere but she is going to need some work, when she is done I will do some before and after pics.

XGM hasnt got here yet.

I will get some pics up on the Helios lens in another thread as soon as I can.
06-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My latest Minolta pieces will be in sometime this coming week. The AE1 program kit came in today though.
06-07-2020, 01:59 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
There is still life left in old Minolta glass.
Certainly, it is. Within last year I sold around 4-5 MD standard lenses and I found that they are quite popular among Sony users (apart from 'analog' ones).
06-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Wow ....killing it on the Bay at the moment, another XGM bagged off for spares. As soon as they are all poshed up I will get some piccies of before and after shots.

Have some leatherette on order for the X500.
06-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With American, European, and Japanese markets all having different names for the exact same camera, I am constantly having to look names up just to figure out what was what. lol

I also just picked up a cheap 101 with 55mm lens at auction that might have fungus. I have never cleaned fungus before but have googled it. Any tips?
06-09-2020, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #104
Veteran Member

Best thing to do with fungus is get the lenses to bits and give tham a quick bath in Peroxide, you have to be very careful with Minolta glass as the coatings can be very fragile. Take a look at a thread called ‘lenses back from the dead’ its in the SLR lenses tab of the forum.

Fungus is always a hazard, if its been allowed to get going it can etch the glass and there is not much that can be done BUT I have restored a few where the fungus was running riot and the lens was nearly opaque and they cleaned up fine. Its a lens strip down job.

Be wary of Minokta MDs and Canon FDs with fungus, if the fungus is betweenthe elements that are sealed its impossible to repair. On Minolta MDs quite often the entite front and rear assemblys are encased in a plastic carrier which doesnt come to bits so if the fungus is between the elements in the carrier you are stuck.

Have a look at the thread but normally I would strip the lens, quidk bath, no more than a few minutes in peroxide, a quixk bath in IPA and a wash down with water then dry and polish, barrels and metal parts a quixk bath in very dilute peroxide, IPA and then dry and clean, once dully dry blow everything with a rocket blower and reaaemnle using globes and chevking every part as you reaassmnle under a strong glass and a torch.

With minolta glass, especially MC series do not immerse a lens if there is any coating damage at all or suspected damage, they can wnd up reacting super bad, if its an MC I wpukd give it a fast dip in the chemicals but literally in and straight out and dry it off quick. Dont put cemented doublets into a bath of anything, apply chems to their faces using a soft cloth or cotton wool ball very gently and keep the front surfaces wet for a short time to give the chems a chance to work. Immersion in chemicals or even water can break down the glue holding the elements together. Recently I got a sterilising UV lamp to give the glass a teatment of UV post cleaning. Cany say how effective its been really but it gives me a bit of piece of mind.
06-10-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

Thanks for great advice.
I'd happily spend some time watching someone actually taking the lens apart and reassembling it. I think I've got reasonable diy skills but taking the lens apart is quite intimidating task for me. Ok, there are many tutorials but you cannot ask a question watching a YT video The most serious job I've done on the lens was to repair a broken "A" setting in the A-50/1.7 lens. I wish to be able to go further with some old lenses but I don't dare with my present skills...