The Nikon D6

Nokishita on twitter:

Twitter

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 14:56 ----------

It looks like a D5 with a 6 on it where the five used to be

02-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Pretty much.

Supposedly IBIS will be a feature, but who knows. No official specs have been given so far.
02-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It looks like a D5 with a 6 on it where the five used to be
I think that's the idea, isn't it? The people who use it want to pick it up and have their fingers know where everything is immediately. OTOH, it does make it more difficult to integrate new feaures - be interesting to see what they've come up with
02-11-2020, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow! That's one obese camera! With that much bulk, it's no threat to the K-1 for hiking/outdoor use.

02-11-2020, 09:15 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Wow! That's one obese camera! With that much bulk, it's no threat to the K-1 for hiking/outdoor use.
You could say that again. Though each camera is intended for different markets.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

lt's so big it makes the mount look tiny.
02-11-2020, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For many of us , we have cars, engines designed for 200K miles. Then there are heavy trucks designed for 1 million miles. So that D6 is the heavy truck of cameras. I can't where to plug the grease pump on the D6, where's the opening to change oil every 50 000 miles?

02-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Well, it looks like Nikon is taking the legacy DSLR design to the max. Go big or go home, I guess. Perhaps they see a market to sell enough of them. It certainly doesn't look like it will appeal to much of the amateur enthusiast crowd where less is more these days.
02-11-2020, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

In fairness, dimensions ought to be compared to other full frame DSLRs with a battery grip installed... Still, even if that combined lower grip section were lopped off, it could hardly be considered svelte. I guess those who the D5 and D6 are aimed at know what they want, or what they're letting themselves in for, and why. Most folks are probably better served by the D850 or (forthcoming?) D860 which is a bit more comparable to the K-1 in size (if still considerably bigger)...
02-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You could say that again. Though each camera is intended for different markets.

Compare camera dimensions side by side
Bert, interesting tool that you linked. I wasn't aware of it before. Something I will have to bookmark for further reference.

Canon 1D X (probably leaving part of the nomenclature off ) is about the same size and same class, in the dimension comparison with the Nikon D6. Both certainly are big cameras, as is my K1 with the battery grip. I'm starting to notice the K1 equipped this way, as getting heavy for me. My rotator cup injuries feel the effect of using this heavy body, especially with larger lenses.

Given that, I think this dimension tool would be valuable for people to check out cameras before purchase, particularly when shopping online...to get an idea if the camera they have in mind is perhaps too large....dimension wise for them to handle comfortably.
02-11-2020, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
In fairness, dimensions ought to be compared to other full frame DSLRs with a battery grip installed... Still, even if that combined lower grip section were lopped off, it could hardly be considered svelte. I guess those who the D5 and D6 are aimed at know what they want, or what they're letting themselves in for, and why. Most folks are probably better served by the D850 or (forthcoming?) D860 which is a bit more comparable to the K-1 in size (if still considerably bigger)...
Bloated cameras like this are interesting on multiple levels.

1) In 1978, the OM-1's manual taught me how to hold a camera in both landscape and portrait orientation. Both positions are equally comfortable, equally stable, and flipping is instantaneous because it doesn't require letting go of one grip to shift to another. For me (others may disagree), a grip adds nothing but bulk.

2) Cameras like this do prove that some buyers really do prefer bigger cameras over smaller cameras. It would seem that "big is pro" and "pros pick big." This fact puts smaller mirrorless cameras at a disadvantage in the marketplace.

3) I have to wonder how this camera would survive the test Steve Job's used to detect wasted space in the first Apple iPod. He tossed the prototype in an aquarium and yelled at the designers when bubbles came out. Where there's air, there's wasted space. This camera looks big for the sake of bigness rather than big for the sake of required functionality. But then some photographers probably want a bigger camera even if it is filled with more air (see point #2).

No doubt, others have other preferences. Nikon will probably sell a nice number of these at the expensive of puny mirrorless cameras.
02-11-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Bloated cameras like this are interesting on multiple levels.
For such a compact post, this raises some really good discussion points...

1) In 1978, the OM-1's manual taught me how to hold a camera in both landscape and portrait orientation. Both positions are equally comfortable, equally stable, and flipping is instantaneous because it doesn't require letting go of one grip to shift to another. For me (others may disagree), a grip adds nothing but bulk.
When I first bought a grip for one of my cameras, it was for the extended battery life, and I really enjoyed having a full day's shooting (or more) without needing to change batteries. Then I tried using the additional shutter button and controls in portrait mode, and really enjoyed them. For a while, I made a point of using them when shooting in portrait orientation, and (for me) they're definitely more comfortable. But... I tend to switch between landscape and portrait orientation frequently, and often quickly back-and-forth - so in typical real-world use, I found myself using the camera's controls rather than those on the battery grip, regardless of orientation. After all, who wants to move their right hand around the camera every time they switch orientation? Then, whilst the extra battery capacity was really nice, the extra weight wasn't. Ironically, we justify that extra capacity for long shooting sessions, but carrying the camera with additional weight of the grip and battery is tiring and counter-productive.

So, now, I typically shoot my DSLRs without a battery grip attached, and simply carry an extra battery or two in my pocket (back to square one )... except for my Sony A7 MkII, which I always shoot with the grip attached... battery life without it is frustratingly short, and it's a much more comfortable camera to hold with the grip.

2) Cameras like this do prove that some buyers really do prefer bigger cameras over smaller cameras. It would seem that "big is pro" and "pros pick big." This fact puts smaller mirrorless cameras at a disadvantage in the marketplace.
I like bigger cameras too, but for me, bigger is in the range between K-3 and K-1. The K10D / GX-10 is about perfect for me Regarding mirrorless, see my comment above...

3) I have to wonder how this camera would survive the test Steve Job's used to detect wasted space in the first Apple iPod. He tossed the prototype in an aquarium and yelled at the designers when bubbles came out. Where there's air, there's wasted space. This camera looks big for the sake of bigness rather than big for the sake of required functionality. But then some photographers probably want a bigger camera even if it is filled with more air (see point #2).
If it's properly weather-sealed, there shouldn't be any bubbles Seriously, though, I'd love to see inside the D5 / D6. I'd like to think Nikon makes use of all the available space, but who knows?

No doubt, others have other preferences. Nikon will probably sell a nice number of these at the expensive of puny mirrorless cameras.
No doubt. I imagine it'll attract its fair share of pro sports and press photographers... There's no way they can be seen turning up to events with an A9 MkII
02-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is big, but I don't think the weight would actually be that much more than the K-1 with the grip and extra battery in place.
02-11-2020, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is big, but I don't think the weight would actually be that much more than the K-1 with the grip and extra battery in place.
I've never wanted a grip. With a Pentax, I have my choice grip or no grip. I hate other people making up their minds on what they want, then forcing that decidion on me if I want their product. MY K-1 just barely fits in the waterproof Pelican cases I use on canoe trips. I have practical reasons for wanting K-1 sized cameras ( less bubbles in the pelican case). I'm not in the compensation for _______ envy group.
02-11-2020, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not in the compensation for _______ envy group.
Yep, so long as you can grip it properly, it's all good...

I'm talking about the camera, of course