Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Tonehs observations.

The amount of content for these 2 cameras just about doubles every day.

Tony reveals what his testing found,Canon meanwhile have announced firmware is coming.IF,it provides as dramatic improvement as did the R/RP firmware,then these 2 bodies will top the FF sales that $ony have boasted about for a while.

The sleeping giant IS awake!

07-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

The amount of content for these 2 cameras just about doubles every day.

Tony reveals what his testing found,Canon meanwhile have announced firmware is coming.IF,it provides as dramatic improvement as did the R/RP firmware,then these 2 bodies will top the FF sales that $ony have boasted about for a while.

The sleeping giant IS awake!

https://youtu.be/OmGaYYQenSo
Ups, Canon is better than A7s III at stabilisation, rolling shutter and overheating into the sun. In photo mode there's no competition between the 2 since A7s III is video oriented. Who would thought that Canon is leading again?!

07-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #183
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
overheating into the sun
3blindmen and an elephant(HughBrownstone) had exactly the same(23mins) experience at 90degrees.$ony still overheats!Its posted in the A7Slll thread if you are interested.
07-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #184
Veteran Member

3blindmen and an elephant(HughBrownstone) had exactly the same(23mins) experience at 90degrees.$ony still overheats!Its posted in the A7Slll thread if you are interested.
I saw it. Thanks for pointing it. Overall, from the mixed videos I saw, it seems that A7s III has an edge regarding overheating and recording time, but the difference is not what I would expected between a camera dedicated to video vs. a hibrid camera. Given also the small price difference between the 2, R5 does have a much better value. If those small fancy fans will be released and who knows what the Canon firmware will bring, I'm super excited about Canon's move, with both R5 and R6. The R6 is looking more and more appealing as it does seem to have a better quality in 4k 60fps than A7s III and it's also a much better photography camera.

07-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R5 does have a much better value.
Its worth the $$$$! An exceptional increase in capability, many more lenses to come.I'm wondering when the 3rd parties will join in?

It will be interesting to see how the new firmware works and what patents become reality.

I'm super excited about Canon's move, with both R5 and R6.
Its great to see, many will share your enthusiasm(and cost!).ha ha.

I'm wondering whats next after 5/6? 1 perhaps?Also some loose talk of a crop RF body which put the M series in jeopady.I'm sceptical but wont be surprised.
07-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #186
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A look at the COOLing device.

07-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Its worth the $$$$! An exceptional increase in capability, many more lenses to come.I'm wondering when the 3rd parties will join in?
With all the EF lenses that seems to become available in the sevond hand market, I think that I would think twice which ones to choose: EF L lenses or third party lenses. Tamron make some interesting lenses for Sony. I'm not a big fan of Sigma.

It will be interesting to see how the new firmware works and what patents become reality.
It seems that the first stock is already over and the new one seems pushed in November. Canon is working at an overheating fix and we may see a recall for the first batch if it's going to be a hardware sollution. This would be interesting to follow.

[
I'm wondering whats next after 5/6? 1 perhaps?Also some loose talk of a crop RF body which put the M series in jeopady.I'm sceptical but wont be surprised.
R1 is innevitable. They still have some time to develop it since the 1Dx Mark III will cover the next year Olimpic games and what sport events comes in the next 2-3 years. They also have to release the L tele lenses for it, at least 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8.

I think first will see a high resolution camera, the one with the anticipated 75mp sensor...

07-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon is Delaying EOS R5 Shipments Due to Overheating Concerns: Report

QuoteQuote:
Multiple outlets with inside information are reporting that Canon is holding back and/or delaying shipments of the new EOS R5 and EOS R6 cameras as a result of the overheating issues that early reviews have been reporting. This could be a sign that a recall is in the works.

While a recall might seem like a drastic step given how transparent Canon has been about the thermal limitations in the EOS R5 and EOS R6, both Canon Rumors and EOSHD are reporting that Canon is shipping far fewer units than expected, and has delayed the second allocation of cameras “significantly.”
Canon is Delaying EOS R5 Shipments Due to Overheating Concerns: Report
07-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #189
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The R5 is arriving for the preorderers,all those rumour sites are proven to be incorrect or partly incorrect at times.They could be correct in this case.Canon has stated they were under prepared for the demand,and thats understandable with the uncertain times.

Canon is issuing a firmware update,I dont know when?...They have a patent on a cooling device and Tilta,the cage maker has a cooling device.

Teething problems can happen with any new tech,I'l look forward to what eventuates.
07-30-2020, 03:56 PM   #190
Loyal Site Supporter

The R5 is arriving for the preorderers,all those rumour sites are proven to be incorrect or partly incorrect at times.They could be correct in this case.Canon has stated they were under prepared for the demand,and thats understandable with the uncertain times.

Canon is issuing a firmware update,I dont know when?...They have a patent on a cooling device and Tilta,the cage maker has a cooling device.

Teething problems can happen with any new tech,I'l look forward to what eventuates.
The attitude at the review sites will likely be "oh it's OK, there's a firmware update coming". Would they do the same with a K-new and what you call "teething problems"?

FWIW I kinda like what Canon is trying to do. It's a camera trying to be a master of all things. Hopefully it eventually pays off for the investment they must have in it. I don't wish failure on any of the remaining camera companies.
07-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #191
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R1 is innevitable. They still have some time to develop it since the 1Dx Mark III will cover the next year Olimpic games
Yes, i'm sure a 1 series will come with time, very unsure of next years Olympics though.I'll bet now(not much) that they will be delayed again.Something radically good has to happen in the next year.

Preorders are arriving now, do you know when your hire place has it available?have you booked one?

---------- Post added 07-31-20 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The attitude at the review sites will likely be "oh it's OK, there's a firmware update coming". Would they do the same with a K-new and what you call "teething problems"?
I cant answer that one.I dont know.

K-new
...Lets hope its great,this waiting is frustrating with the other brands announcing and releasing their newbys.

FWIW I kinda like what Canon is trying to do. It's a camera trying to be a master of all things.
When the original R came,it got criticised and rightly so.The firmware got it up to speed with its basic limitations.The whingers wanted more,specifically IBIS,dual cards,uncropped 4K video and a few other things.R5/6 will prove to be leaders in the Hybrid category.

$ony,up until now have been the leader in new tech,Canon just Trumpt them!
07-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon says 'first set' of EOS R5 units shipped out this week, quieting rumors...

QuoteQuote:
Orders of the EOS R5 are scheduled to be delivered as initially stated at launch. The first set of cameras shipped from our warehouses this week. We eagerly await the content that will be produced by talented creatives using this camera to be shared with the world.

Canon says 'first set' of EOS R5 units shipped out this week, quieting rumors over delays: Digital Photography Review
08-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #193
Pentaxian

Original Poster
GU is a technically savy reviewer,these new Canon bodies are very good on release and will improve as time goes along.

This is almost 3 hours but may be worthwhile to some?

08-01-2020, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #194
Pentaxian

Wow, the R5 and R6 are all over the internet. The wash of enthusiasm is palpable. All other companies may as well pack up and go home!

But let's just see. To get some very incomplete equivalent of my current FF Pentax coverage, I would want (with Australian prices):
  1. EOS R6 + RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 Aus$4888 (20 MP camera down from 36 on K1, replacing my K1+DFA 28-105)
  2. RF 50 f/1.2 Aus$3299 (to replace my DFA* 50 f/1.4)
  3. RF 100-500 f/4-7.1 Aus$4799 (replacing my DFA 150-450)
  4. RF 15-35 Aus$3899 (replacing DFA 15-30)
  5. RF 70-200f/2.8 Aus$4269 (replacing DFA* 70-200)

That's Aus$21,154 in total, and I'm still missing a ~100mm macro and a 35mm fast prime. Is this really aimed at the average enthusiast user?

Maybe I'll just remain in Second Class for the time being.
08-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #195
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
But let's just see.

It will more than likely be the top FF system when a few minor bugs have been corrected and the basic lens lineup is complete.Which is likely by end of 2021.In the meantime,the adapters for EF/s glass have made those lenses better than on Dslr bodies according to some.Now,i think this is a reaction from people who mostly have older Dslr models and the updated processors in the R bodies enable a better performance from the lens.Many users are buying none/1 or 2 RF lenses due to having quality L level glass.

Its cheaper to get into this system(buying new) than any other FF with current tech.$ony and Panasonic are rumored to be developing some competition but lets wait and see.

---------- Post added 08-02-20 at 12:58 PM ----------

EOS R6 + RF 24-105 f/4-7.1 Aus$4888 (20 MP camera down from 36 on K1, replacing my K1+DFA 28-105)
Its hard to do apples to apples but RP 1195(26mp)with 24-240(999)

DFA* 50 f/1.4)
Tokina Opera 50 f1.4 $1259 from cr kennedy(quite a close comparison)

DFA 150-450)
Sigma Sports 150-600(used mint condition) $1325

DFA 15-30)
Tamron 15-30 G2( not the G1 that pentax is based on) $1369

DFA* 70-200)
Tamron G1 SP 70-200 f2.8 $610

Now, I own this except for Tamron 15-30 and Tokina which i took the prices off Ebay.

Add $90 for the EF to RF adapter which works seemlessly.

Many R system shooters are gradually transitioning.With the glass listed above plus 35mm RF,L 24-70f2.8,L70-300,50mmf1.8 40mm f2.8,85 f1.8 its a very versatile kit.

Last edited by surfar; 08-02-2020 at 03:00 AM.