Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't imagine anyone who shoots with the R5 for a day or two would ever be happy going back to a dslr.

When it came out out I had no interest but then seeing the eye af reviews I got interested and got it thinking it would be a nice addition. After a month I sold the 1DX2 and 5DSR and got the R6, the af is just so good.

In the US they are still sold out everywhere, my local shop is sold out for next few months for the R5 they have such a big waiting list. The RF lenses are hard to find also except the 24-240 lens.

It's a shame they don't give sales numbers, it would be interesting to see how many they sold this year.

12-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #332
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I can't imagine anyone who shoots with the R5 for a day or two would ever be happy going back to a dslr.
Except for wildlife, it was hard for me to go back to 5D Mark IV after I used EOS R for a month in the same scenarious I used 5D Mark IV (corporate events, portraits and people lifestyle for stock). That's why I sold the 5D and I'm waiting for R5 and R6 to become available for rent so that I can decide which one I'm going to buy.
12-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #333
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's a shame they don't give sales numbers, it would be interesting to see how many they sold this year.
Sold out in many places, so until everything gets back to "normal",its probably pointless.

Normality is a LONG time away!

---------- Post added 01-01-21 at 04:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I'm waiting for R5 and R6 to become available for rent so that I can decide which one I'm going to buy.
I will await next Christmas sales till I get the R5,but will consider the R6 which I had a shoot with recently.
12-31-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #334
Pentaxian

All I shoot is wildlife and the only thing about my dslr I miss is the big battery the 1DX2 has and how it balanced on the gimbal with the 600 F4.

The R6 is great also, depending on what and where I’m shooting I’ll take that instead of the R5.

01-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter

This was very refreshing honesty from a Canon exec, including candid comments about the 8k video feature existing mostly for marketing reasons, bragging rights for being "first" even if flawed.

Interesting read from a market perspective.
?????IoT?????? | ????????? | ????????? | ?????????
01-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
This was very refreshing honesty from a Canon exec, including candid comments about the 8k video feature existing mostly for marketing reasons, bragging rights for being "first" even if flawed.

Interesting read from a market perspective.
?????IoT?????? | ????????? | ????????? | ?????????
Where do you get this from? Your link only shows the following:

QuoteOriginally posted by toyokeizai.net:
Canon, the leading manufacturer in the digital camera market, is also facing a huge wave of market contraction. In the April-June 2020 period, when the effects of the new coronavirus were clearly felt, sales of digital cameras and multifunctional office equipment fell sharply, and the company posted its first quarterly loss.
In addition, while Sony has been increasing sales of mirrorless cameras since before Corona, Canon, which had been focusing on single-lens reflex cameras, has fallen behind in its support for mirrorless cameras, and although it will launch the EOS R5, a mirrorless camera for professionals, in July 2020, it will not be easy to catch up with Sony.
I interviewed Tsuyoshi Tokura, Managing Executive Officer of the Image Communication Business Unit, who is in charge of digital camera strategy at Canon.
Dramatically improved performance in the second generation

--Sales of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera, launched in July 2020, have been so strong that some customers are waiting more than three months to get their hands on one.

The popularity of the camera has exceeded our expectations, and we apologize to the customers who have been waiting for it. The EOS R5 is a professional product, and the price is quite high (about 500,000 yen). In addition to the body (camera body), sales of interchangeable lenses for full-size mirrorless cameras are also growing steadily, and I feel that this shows the strength of the R series (Canon's mirrorless series).

--Why are the sales of the expensive EOS series R5 and R6 so strong while the digital camera market is shrinking due to the Corona disaster?

There are three reasons. First, they have high performance and strong product appeal: from what we called the first generation of mirrorless cameras, such as the EOS R released in 2018, to the subsequent second generation R5 and R6, which have dramatically improved the performance of digital cameras.

The timing of the launch was also significant: 2020 was an extraordinary year for Corona, and the Olympics were postponed. The camera market hit a major bottom in the spring, and we were able to launch new products at a time when the market was recovering. In some ways, we were able to take advantage of the market's recovery.

Third is the naming. Our products bearing the number "5" were given the role of incorporating new functions even before the mirrorless era. The brand power of "5" is high, and of course, customers have high expectations. This image also contributed to the success of the project.
Translated with DeepL Translate (free version)
01-23-2021, 07:23 AM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Where do you get this from? Your link only shows the following:

Translated with DeepL Translate (free version)
The big green button translates to "Read the rest of this article (Register/Login)" so I guess there? I'd also be interested in knowing more.

01-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #338
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The big green button translates to "Read the rest of this article (Register/Login)" so I guess there? I'd also be interested in knowing more.
Correct. It was free to register.
02-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #339
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R5 is good value compared to the closest trailing system.

Lots of adverts, but the content is reasonable.

04-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter

Still not without its issues since no camera is perfect. This one is again from Chelsea
04-07-2021, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #341
Pentaxian

I would rather take a bath with a toaster oven than listen to her.
04-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #342
Loyal Site Supporter

I would rather take a bath with a toaster oven than listen to her.
You could turn the sound down and just watch her.
04-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Her 5 negatives are trivial, the camera shows the way at the moment.

R1 will be worthy of the 1 status when it comes next year.
04-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #344
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Her 5 negatives are trivial, the camera shows the way at the moment.

R1 will be worthy of the 1 status when it comes next year.
SD card bricking the camera and "sticky AF" might be more irritating to other users than yourself. No camera is perfect.
04-08-2021, 03:53 AM   #345
Pentaxian

After six months with the R5 my biggest complaint about it is the battery grip. The joystick is not in the same position as it is on the regular body so you go to move it and you can’t find it. With my old 1DX2 if you were in horizontal or vertical the feel was exactly the same.

The lens and body caps are a pain in the ass also, with old EF you could just put them on anyway, with the RF you have to line them up just right. It’s a small thing but gets annoying when you’re try to switch lenses quickly and trying to put caps back on.