Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon R5 under development plus 9 news RF lenses in 2020

Canon have announced the development of an advanced mirrorless body,capable of *8K video.

The Canon EOS R5 is officially one of the most powerful mirrorless cameras ever | TechRadar

Two of the 9 lenses are 1.4x and 2x TCs.So 17 different lenses by years end.

02-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Now that they decided to change direction, they are picking speed. But they waited a bit too long and gave Sony an opening (and even allowed Nikon to announce before them - I did not expect that!). It will be interesting to see where they end up once the dust settles. I doubt that they'll have as big a lead in the market as they used to have in the (D)SLR era.
02-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks impressive and highly likely to keep the haters and review-before-it’s-out crowd busy for weeks.
02-13-2020, 01:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I doubt that they'll have as big a lead in the market as they used to have in the (D)SLR era.
Only time will tell,however,the lens lineup will fill out quite well by end of next year and will be ably backed by the 3 adapters and pretty well complete set of EF lenses.

Add to that(only rumours at this stage) the other bodies coming this year.R6 is fairly certain, RS(higher resolution than $ony) and a budget bare bones model underneath the RP.

Canon can make it reasonably attractive to choose FF over Apsc,whether they actually do it???

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Looks impressive
As did the 5D mk 2 when it dropped.

02-13-2020, 01:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not surprising, no one need to buy new cameras if newer models not better than previous models. Leading brands are pressing forward in order to trigger new sales in a mature market. With more new models, the current models will eventually become more affordable, while still being excellent. With some patience, we'll be able to get great equipment at moderate prices. Along with a the EOS RP, some entry level lense being announced ($400), full frame for everyone. That's nice for customers, but small brands will be squeezed badly.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-13-2020 at 08:16 AM.
02-13-2020, 03:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Now that they decided to change direction, they are picking speed. But they waited a bit too long and gave Sony an opening (and even allowed Nikon to announce before them - I did not expect that!). It will be interesting to see where they end up once the dust settles. I doubt that they'll have as big a lead in the market as they used to have in the (D)SLR era.
I think Canon is in good shape. The big thing to me is that Canon has chosen not to simply replicate their SLR line up for their MILCs, but also to create interesting lenses that basically aren't available anywhere else. So they have an f2 standard zoom and their 70-200 f2.8 is smaller than the 70-200s available from other brands.

The big issue is that all of this new glass is really expensive. If I were to by a Canon MILC, I would probably just shoot EOS lenses on it for the most part using an adapter. By all accounts they work fine and the savings by doing so is considerable (particularly when you consider the used market).
02-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Very nice camera, but it's definitely way out of my league. The mirrorless race is definitely on.

02-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Very nice camera, but it's definitely way out of my league. The mirrorless race is definitely on.
Interesting to see where this race will go. definitely it is going to be brutal. It says something that Canon adds SR which work together with lens VR. (or what ever letters they use for it.) This clearly means that cloves are off.
02-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Canon is in good shape.
They're certainly not in bad shape. But I don't think they're in their top shape either. They used to own ~50% of the SLR market. That will probably end up looking like 30% in the MILC market. 30% is not bad, but it's not as good as 50%.
02-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Interesting to see where this race will go. definitely it is going to be brutal. It says something that Canon adds SR which work together with lens VR. (or what ever letters they use for it.) This clearly means that cloves are off.
With Canon firing off this EOS R5 shot that's been heard around the world & them stating that they were going to focus less on EF lenses & more on R mount lenses, the race to see who will be at the top of mirrorless has officially begun.

Nikon is also trying to get a slice of that pie. In a recent interview, Kenji Oishi from Nikon has stated that their goal is to eventually get all DSLR users to transition to mirrorless. "Eventually" is the keyword here 'cause DSLRs are still gonna be around for a while, though with less development.

Who knows how this will all pan out for Ricoh. I'm still waiting for that K-new APS-C flagship. Hahaha!
02-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
With Canon firing off this EOS R5 shot that's been heard around the world & them stating that they were going to focus less on EF lenses & more on R mount lenses, the race to see who will be at the top of mirrorless has officially begun.

Nikon is also trying to get a slice of that pie. In a recent interview, Kenji Oishi from Nikon has stated that their goal is to eventually get all DSLR users to transition to mirrorless. "Eventually" is the keyword here 'cause DSLRs are still gonna be around for a while, though with less development.

Who knows how this will all pan out for Ricoh. I'm still waiting for that K-new APS-C flagship. Hahaha!
Yea, we will see.
02-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think (pure speculation) that decision has been made by Ricoh. Just not revealed yet.
02-13-2020, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
This clearly means that cloves are off.
They are? Must be really old, 'cos properly stored they'll last 3 or 4 years.
02-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Of claws and cloves...
02-13-2020, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
They are? Must be really old, 'cos properly stored they'll last 3 or 4 years.
Oops, I ment that they had to take gloves off to put cloves in the jar.