Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2020, 01:33 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Canonrumours thinks to know about a production delay that will take up until fall for full availability.
They also wrote an article about a "confirmed" cfe and uhs-II slot combination.
I'm at my computer right now and yes, it does look interesting how manufacturers will deal with coronavirus, not only from the delay perspective. It seems that some small businesses struggle these days and this means that people won't jump to buy new cameras because you never know when the employer will come and say that they will close the business or that they don't have money to pay salaries. CFexpress seems the right approach given these new specs of 8k at 30fps with no crop and with dual pixel Af. This combination in theory needs faster memory cards than UHS-II.

---------- Post added 03-13-20 at 08:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Canon reveals further EOS R5 details ? shutting down speculation that some specs are ?a fantasy?. | Canon Australia

They had to announce DownUnder everywhere else has the Virus!

They've just cancelled the F1 race here,WorldSurfing has called off everything in March!
Thanks! It does seem like Canon is trying to take us all by surprise with these impressive specs. I have plane tickets for Barcelona in Octomber and even if there are a few months until then, I still think that we may not escape from coronavirus until then.

---------- Post added 03-13-20 at 08:38 AM ----------

Now I am very interested about the evf specs and how much the r6 will inherit.
You and me both. R6 sounds like a camera I will buy, mostly due to low mp. And if the EVF will have 5.76 million dots, with 100 or 120fps refresh rate, then it's going to be music for my sensitive eyes.

03-13-2020, 02:17 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I'm at my computer right now and yes, it does look interesting how manufacturers will deal with coronavirus, not only from the delay perspective. It seems that some small businesses struggle these days and this means that people won't jump to buy new cameras because you never know when the employer will come and say that they will close the business or that they don't have money to pay salaries. CFexpress seems the right approach given these new specs of 8k at 30fps with no crop and with dual pixel Af. This combination in theory needs faster memory cards than UHS-II.

---------- Post added 03-13-20 at 08:35 AM ----------

Thanks! It does seem like Canon is trying to take us all by surprise with these impressive specs. I have plane tickets for Barcelona in Octomber and even if there are a few months until then, I still think that we may not escape from coronavirus until then.

---------- Post added 03-13-20 at 08:38 AM ----------

You and me both. R6 sounds like a camera I will buy, mostly due to low mp. And if the EVF will have 5.76 million dots, with 100 or 120fps refresh rate, then it's going to be music for my sensitive eyes.
I would prefer 4k60p over 8k30p, but it is great to see the computing capabilities put into those cameras.
With the evf, I completely agree.
I personally use two card slots for redundancy, in this case a slower second slot is very unfortunate. I guess, high bitrate video will be possible to one slot only anyways, so they put a cheaper second one inside. I will never buy another camera with one slot only again, especially not with the master of failing sd format.
For me, a switch to the r6 will be to expensive, also I am not the biggest fan of Canon ergonomics.
I wanted at least a standard zoom like a 24-105/4, a set of fast primes (35, 50, 85) / 1.4 and a simple tele zoom like a 70-300. The rf lenses are too expensive for this set right now for me, although they generally seem to be impressive. Just the 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 are at 5500€ currently.
Still I hope the r6 will be as rumored and a huge success, because this would be exactly where I want the industry to aim at.
03-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #63
Veteran Member

I would prefer 4k60p over 8k30p, but it is great to see the computing capabilities put into those cameras.
With the evf, I completely agree.
I personally use two card slots for redundancy, in this case a slower second slot is very unfortunate. I guess, high bitrate video will be possible to one slot only anyways, so they put a cheaper second one inside. I will never buy another camera with one slot only again, especially not with the master of failing sd format.
For me, a switch to the r6 will be to expensive, also I am not the biggest fan of Canon ergonomics.
I wanted at least a standard zoom like a 24-105/4, a set of fast primes (35, 50, 85) / 1.4 and a simple tele zoom like a 70-300. The rf lenses are too expensive for this set right now for me, although they generally seem to be impressive. Just the 50 1.2 and 85 1.2 are at 5500€ currently.
Still I hope the r6 will be as rumored and a huge success, because this would be exactly where I want the industry to aim at.
If the rumors are true, it will do 4k at 24fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps. So, 4k at 60fps will be covered. I used one card on my 6D for a few years, I use one card on EOS R for a few months, I use 2 card slots on 5D Mark IV. Yes, 2 card slots are always going to be more secure.

Canon has a RF 24-105mm f4L. It will launch also the RF24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM, the smallest and lightest RF zoom lens available to date, weighing only 395g with a length of 88.8mm. It will also have up to 0.4x magnification or 0.5x magnification in Manual Focus. Some cheap primes seems also included in the 9 new lenses that are coming this year.
03-13-2020, 03:23 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
If the rumors are true, it will do 4k at 24fps, 30fps, 60fps, 120fps. So, 4k at 60fps will be covered. I used one card on my 6D for a few years, I use one card on EOS R for a few months, I use 2 card slots on 5D Mark IV. Yes, 2 card slots are always going to be more secure.

Canon has a RF 24-105mm f4L. It will launch also the RF24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM, the smallest and lightest RF zoom lens available to date, weighing only 395g with a length of 88.8mm. It will also have up to 0.4x magnification or 0.5x magnification in Manual Focus. Some cheap primes seems also included in the 9 new lenses that are coming this year.
I had multiple sd card failures over the years, and the worst business decision I ever made was to agree to a product where the os was on a "huge lifetime" sd card in read only mode. The support on this product cost so much time....

I know there are a lot of interesting new lenses coming, still I wanted f1.4 at 50mm and 85mm and this is covered by the rf 1.2 lenses. When Sigma builds its Art series for rf natively it's a different story for me. This is my very personal budget line, nothing generally applicabely. It is not about the lenses not being there, just that they are a bit too high tier for my amateur budget.

Last edited by WorksAsIntended; 03-13-2020 at 03:39 AM.
03-13-2020, 03:50 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I had multiple sd card failures over the years, and the worst business decision I ever made to agree to a product where the os was on a "huge lifetime" sd card in read only mode. The support on this product cost so much time....

I know there are a lot of interesting new lenses coming, still I wanted f1.4 at 50mm and 85mm and this is covered by the rf 1.2 lenses. When Sigma builds its Art series for rf natively it's a different story for me. This is my very personal budget line, nothing generally applicabely. It is not about the lenses not being there, just that they are a bit too high tier for my amateur budget.
Again, I'm not arguing about the 2 slot cards. This is a different perspective from person to person and I also prefer to have 2 slots if possible. Same when comes to handling.

As for low budget, all EF lenses work very well with adapter. Some L lenses like 50mm f1.2L can be found quite cheap second hand. I for example shoot for day to day with 35mm f2 and 85mm f1.8 on EOS R, with adapter. When comes to paid work, I rent the 28-70mm f2L which is a beast and I also use EF 16-35mm f2.8L III and EF 85mm f1.4L in case I need it, both with adapter that work flawlessly. I'm waiting to see what lenses are coming next this year for RF mount and when comes black friday I will start to invest in RF lenses based on my needs. It's the first time I'm considering to buy the 70-200mm f2.8 given the size and weight. The 28-70mm f2 is a lens that I won't buy because it's distracting given the size for clients at corporate events. It's also heavy. It's just that the quality of the files are gorgeous and save God that renting this lens for 2 days costs in Romania 35 euro or 40$.

When comes to switching systems I strongly suggest that everyone should rent first or borrow the gear that they are interested in. I'm lucky enough to go out much with people shooting different systems and for me switching will imply 2 things:

1. lenses - I find lenses to be the most important aspect for me and even if the new RF lenses are expensive, they deliver; the same is valid for EF Canon L lenses
2. the system behind the camera I like - this was one of the main reasons I went from Pentax to Canon; the other reason I didn't go to Nikon is that a few close friends of mine are shooting Canon and I was used with their cameras and lenses (I also don't like in some situations the Nikon skin tones)

I can be happy these days shooting with just about any gear, except maybe Olympus which I find expensive for what it provides, but as long as the system I invested in covers pretty much everything I need, switching systems it's a waste of time. Some of my EF lenses need replacement due to heavy use so I'm good to go when comes to RF lenses to replace the EF ones I have used intensely.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-13-2020 at 03:55 AM.
03-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was looking forward to the rumored 75-80MP body to replace my 5dsr but now the rumors are well over 100MP. I was hoping it would have duel CFexpress slots and something around 5-7 fps and just a little better high ISO capability compared to the 5dsr and not sure they will be able to do that with such high MP’s.

Right now I’m using the 5dsr along with the 1DX2 for wildlife and it’s a great combo. If they do put out a 100-150MP body that is slower than the 5dsr then I would go for the R5. Losing 5MP if the rumored 45MP is true wont be to bad with the improved fps and high ISO capability I’m guessing the R5 will have.

I’m in no hurry though, I’m very happy with what I got and all my money is going to a trip to Botswana in November. But I do have a spot on my wall for a 40”x60” metal print and would love to fill it with a shot from Botswana.
03-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I was looking forward to the rumored 75-80MP body to replace my 5dsr but now the rumors are well over 100MP. I was hoping it would have duel CFexpress slots and something around 5-7 fps and just a little better high ISO capability compared to the 5dsr and not sure they will be able to do that with such high MP’s.

Right now I’m using the 5dsr along with the 1DX2 for wildlife and it’s a great combo. If they do put out a 100-150MP body that is slower than the 5dsr then I would go for the R5. Losing 5MP if the rumored 45MP is true wont be to bad with the improved fps and high ISO capability I’m guessing the R5 will have.

I’m in no hurry though, I’m very happy with what I got and all my money is going to a trip to Botswana in November. But I do have a spot on my wall for a 40”x60” metal print and would love to fill it with a shot from Botswana.
I think R5 will blow 5Ds in pretty much every aspect. Starting with af performance with animal eye af which is selectable from dogs, cats and birds, 12/20fps, new sensor, af area all over the sensor... Given the recent rumors, this year we may see only R5 and R6 and in the first or second part of 2021 we will see the high mp camera. If you ask me, I don't think Canon will go for more than 75mp. But then, looking at the specs of R5 and 1Dx III, it seems that Canon isn't playing when comes to performance and surprises.

03-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Canon reveals further EOS R5 details ? shutting down speculation that some specs are ?a fantasy?. | Canon Australia

They had to announce DownUnder everywhere else has the Virus!

They've just cancelled the F1 race here,WorldSurfing has called off everything in March!
F1 being cancelled ruined my weekend and now the next two GP are cancelled also, I’m going through withdraw.

At least the weather is getting nice here this weekend and I can get out and try to get some pictures.
03-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

---------- Post added 03-14-20 at 07:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
F1 being cancelled ruined my weekend
Many will think the same as you,but the rest of March and into early April is ruined from my viewing perspective!More than likely its the tip of the iceberg???Although i hope not.

Tom Hanks is on the GoldCoast(southern QLD),he and his partner have it.One of the main Australian politicians has it too.Its everywhere!
04-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some more confirmations.

CFexpress plus UHS2 are the cards.

Captures 8K up to 29.9fps(includes 24)

4K slomo 120fps

Log and Raw capable in *8K

Dual pixel AF in all modes

No actual MP number yet for stills but has to be 39-45ish.

Heres Gordons run down

04-21-2020, 01:06 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems that they have been very busy at canon lately. Sony and others, will have to really step it up. Prize of this thing could be quite big, no? 8K they were not kidding. That is going to be expensive update, not just camera vise. All media, progams, computer(s), displays...
04-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the nice thing is that they won't have any trouble having it ready for the Olympics now...
04-21-2020, 06:27 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster

TheOlympic model is released,its a Dslr!

---------- Post added 04-22-20 at 12:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Sony and others, will have to really step it up.
It will be interesting to see what they announce on the 30th?

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Prize of this thing could be quite big, no? 8K they were not kidding. That is going to be expensive update, not just camera vise. All media, progams, computer(s), displays...
8K displays are costly right now,they will come down as time passes.The data being processed will demand high specs for sure,Lens cost for native mount isnt cheap either.Canon have revealed this is a 5(dslr)series equivalent,body cost should be below 4K u$,mid to high 3000s is what I expect.With the 3 adapters(plus 3rd party) EF mount lenses work well.Many users just buy the kit lenses.
04-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’d be surprised if it us under 4000€. About the 8K displays, sure they will come down. Around the same time when 6K is ’mainstream’. Which it is not yet. Not even with editing programs. My computer should be able to edit 6K. Have no idea, because none of my gear has 6K. But hey! Good to be futureproof!
04-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Both Canon and Panasonic have launched cameras with some pretty amazing video specs. Tech specs in general are impressive. Sony has been holding out with the A7sII and I would assume they will make a move now that Canon has played its cards. Going to be some really high end gear hitting the market very soon. Love what Canon is doing with the glass.