Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #136
Veteran Member

With the new camera, Canon is the king and Sony will never go back at top of mirrorless.

WE have to remember that Canon already is no 1 in market share.
And here what CEO of Canon said in 2019
QuoteQuote:
Canon plans to take control of 50% of the interchangeable lens camera market share by 2020

07-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
With the new camera, Canon is the king and Sony will never go back at top of mirrorless.

They also said that Canon would never make sensors comparable to Sony's and here we are .
07-11-2020, 10:52 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The adapters work very well too.

---------- Post added 07-12-20 at 04:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Canon already has three different EF to RF adapters.
the filter one costs a lot
07-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,initially they lagged behind but Canon said they were working hard to firmware up to a reasonable level and they followed through.

Both the R and RP are now priced(and placed) appropriately in the market.

For some people for sure but the stack of F2 primes 28-70 is a bargain for what it does.I'm not sure when its coming but the 70-140 f2 will add lots of options as well.
I haven't been following the pricing for Canon mirrorless or their firmware updates. I'm sure they came down a good bit. They were well over priced at launch. Canon has enough fanboys who will buy at launch prices that they probably sell pretty well for the first year even at a premium. The R5 looks like the first really decent option that Canon users have had to go mirrorless without switching systems. Now the pressure is on Nikon to take the next step. Sony can finally stop dragging their feet and release the a7sIII. The Panasonic S series are really great cameras, but Panasonic has to improve the AF. The competition is really getting good.

07-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The adapters work very well too.

---------- Post added 07-12-20 at 04:58 AM ----------

the filter one costs a lot
Cost is relative. For some it’s a lot for others it’s nothing.
07-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The competition is really getting good.
Game on!

Its interesting to see the progress of what can be achieved.

R5 isnt a camera for everyone,R6 will suit plenty though.Then the 2022 models will advance even further.In the meantime firmware updates will come to address minor issues.

I haven't been following the pricing for Canon mirrorless or their firmware updates.

I read recently the R(body only) will soon reduce to 1399U$.The RP is already at 899 or 999 with the kit lens.Firmware has improved both bodies to a very good useable level.
07-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mainly stills information.

A lot of "focus" has been on the advanced moving picture capability of the R5,here is some comprehensive info about the still side.

07-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
They also said that Canon would never make sensors comparable to Sony's and here we are .
Has someone posted IQ tests with the new Canon sensor yet? I hope you are right and Sony finally has some competition. Sony has been getting lazy.

---------- Post added 07-11-20 at 06:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote

Canon is still #1 and that is pretty irrelevant. There was a point in history when Ashi-Pentax was dominating the market. Kodak had 80% market share. Sears was the worlds largest retailer. It's a long list. Canon has been slipping over the last 5 years and they are doing there best to stop the bleeding. The R5 looks like a solid contender.
07-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has someone posted IQ tests with the new Canon sensor yet? I hope you are right and Sony finally has some competition. Sony has been getting lazy.
It certainly has very high readout speed, and Canon claims 1 stop of DR over the sensor in the 5D4/R... that should be within spitting distance of the latest Sonys.
07-12-2020, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 07-11-20 at 06:48 PM ----------

Canon is still #1 and that is pretty irrelevant. There was a point in history when Ashi-Pentax was dominating the market. Kodak had 80% market share. Sears was the worlds largest retailer. It's a long list. Canon has been slipping over the last 5 years and they are doing there best to stop the bleeding. The R5 looks like a solid contender.
I think Canon has been doing fine. Sure, among Forum folks, it is well known that Canon sensors don't do as well at base iso. I don't think that really affected their sales.

They have well priced cameras and lenses. Their gear is "good enough" for the average person and easily accessible in big box stores. They have always had enough really cheap cameras in their line up that people who didn't have a lot to spend would pick up something like a T5 for 350 dollars and launch their photographic career and then they stayed with them as they developed skills and got dissatisfied with its limitations.

I'm sure Sony will be fine, but I also think Sony has been trying to move upscale and has neglected APS-C lately, not realizing that there are still quite a few folks out there who want cameras for less than 500 dollars and don't need full frame gear.
07-12-2020, 03:35 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Canon has been doing fine. Sure, among Forum folks, it is well known that Canon sensors don't do as well at base iso. I don't think that really affected their sales.

They have well priced cameras and lenses. Their gear is "good enough" for the average person and easily accessible in big box stores. They have always had enough really cheap cameras in their line up that people who didn't have a lot to spend would pick up something like a T5 for 350 dollars and launch their photographic career and then they stayed with them as they developed skills and got dissatisfied with its limitations.

I'm sure Sony will be fine, but I also think Sony has been trying to move upscale and has neglected APS-C lately, not realizing that there are still quite a few folks out there who want cameras for less than 500 dollars and don't need full frame gear.
Yeah, we tend to compare and complain about sensors having less DR but the reality is that most of us wouldn't even max a Canon APS-C sensor out 90% of the time. We're splitting hairs between "great" and "impressive"... anyone who isn't particularly into the gear aspects as much as the art aspects of photography isn't going to fret about the sensor's technicalities or how many lines/mm a given prime manages on the last pixel of the corners, but might put a lot of attention to the rendering of the lenses, the base colours the camera produces, and the ergonomics. I know for a fact that my ex doesn't give a flying about how many EVs of DR or how many fps her 6D has, but you'll have to take her 24-70/4L and 70-200/4L off of her cold dead hands.

In this day and age, I don't really think you can go "wrong" with any camera brand. All of them produce excellent gear.
07-12-2020, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #147
Veteran Member

Canon 1Dx Mark III has a dynamic range of 14.5Evs if we believe the DXO tests. Sony A9 II has a dynamic range of 14Evs. Nikon D5 has a dynamic range of 12.3Evs. The results for Nikon D6 aren't yet published. Pentax K1 has a dynamic range of 14.6Evs.

From what I understood, Canon R6 has a similar sensor as 1Dx Mark III so the dynamic range should be similar. R5 has also a new sensor and it seems to be a good one from what people who spent some time with the camera said about the dynamic range.

---------- Post added 07-12-20 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, we tend to compare and complain about sensors having less DR but the reality is that most of us wouldn't even max a Canon APS-C sensor out 90% of the time. We're splitting hairs between "great" and "impressive"... anyone who isn't particularly into the gear aspects as much as the art aspects of photography isn't going to fret about the sensor's technicalities or how many lines/mm a given prime manages on the last pixel of the corners, but might put a lot of attention to the rendering of the lenses, the base colours the camera produces, and the ergonomics. I know for a fact that my ex doesn't give a flying about how many EVs of DR or how many fps her 6D has, but you'll have to take her 24-70/4L and 70-200/4L off of her cold dead hands.

In this day and age, I don't really think you can go "wrong" with any camera brand. All of them produce excellent gear.
I'm one of the people who doesn't care at all about the dynamic range. I was satisfied with the dynamic range of all my cameras, started with Olympus Pen and continuing with Pentax K5 II, Pentax K3 II, Canon 6D, Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon EOS R. Except landscapes which I don't like to shoot, I've shot a lot of subjects, from BIF, portraits, events, macro, sports and I haven't had any problem with dynamic range.

Even for landscapes, I didn't had any kind of problem with dynamic range because I used filters or bracket shots.
07-12-2020, 06:28 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Canon 1Dx Mark III has a dynamic range of 14.5Evs if we believe the DXO tests. Sony A9 II has a dynamic range of 14Evs. Nikon D5 has a dynamic range of 12.3Evs. The results for Nikon D6 aren't yet published. Pentax K1 has a dynamic range of 14.6Evs.

From what I understood, Canon R6 has a similar sensor as 1Dx Mark III so the dynamic range should be similar. R5 has also a new sensor and it seems to be a good one from what people who spent some time with the camera said about the dynamic range.

---------- Post added 07-12-20 at 12:42 PM ----------

I'm one of the people who doesn't care at all about the dynamic range. I was satisfied with the dynamic range of all my cameras, started with Olympus Pen and continuing with Pentax K5 II, Pentax K3 II, Canon 6D, Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon EOS R. Except landscapes which I don't like to shoot, I've shot a lot of subjects, from BIF, portraits, events, macro, sports and I haven't had any problem with dynamic range.

Even for landscapes, I didn't had any kind of problem with dynamic range because I used filters or bracket shots.
If the R6 doesn't have exactly the same sensor as the 1DXiii I'd be surprised, it's not cheap to develop a sensor and to use it just in a camera that will sell a low number of units seems a bit wasteful.

I've maxed out what the K-1 can do a couple times, but they were very strongly backlit landscape shots and to extract the final result I had to push the sliders so hard that I ended up with this stereotypical HDR look that wasn't even that appealing (to my liking, at least). Although the very low noise in the shadows DOES give you a huuuuge margin of error and lets you ETTR without worrying about shadow detail, so I'm not complaining
07-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

You are correct in that Canon has always had the budget priced cameras like the Rebels, but that is also why they have been taking a beating. The lower end of the DSLR market has contracted significantly. Canon was very dependent on that segment.

Canon also has a history of publishing misleading specs. The R-5 looks good on paper, but lets see how it performs in the real world. They publish 20fps electronic shutter in the spec, but instructed the previews not to discuss or test rolling shutter. I know firmware isn't final, but obviously Canon doesn't have that worked out yet and rolling shutter has been a problem on for Canon. How usable in the 20fps? 8K video? Only to a single CF express card. You can't shoot 8K or 4K/120 to both cards. People looking to get paid will want to write to both cards as a back up. Ambient temperatures above 73 degrees appear to be a problem as over heating occurs after 20-30minutes. Shooting a wedding outside in 85 degree weather or on the beach in the sun? Canon is publishing a lot of high end specs. Let's see how usable those specs are out in the field. Canon has a history of delivering cameras that look good on paper. I don't think Canon has the technology to deliver these specs in a usable package yet. In this case its not an issue of Canon crippling their mirrorless to protect higher end DSLR sales.

This will be an awesome camera for a stills photographer working in studio or available light, but so is a Pentax K-1 or a Fuji XT-3/4 or Olympus EM-2/3 or Panasonic G9.

I think the Panasonic S1H is still king for the video segment.
07-12-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #150
Veteran Member

You are correct in that Canon has always had the budget priced cameras like the Rebels, but that is also why they have been taking a beating. The lower end of the DSLR market has contracted significantly. Canon was very dependent on that segment.

Canon also has a history of publishing misleading specs. The R-5 looks good on paper, but lets see how it performs in the real world. They publish 20fps electronic shutter in the spec, but instructed the previews not to discuss or test rolling shutter. I know firmware isn't final, but obviously Canon doesn't have that worked out yet and rolling shutter has been a problem on for Canon. How usable in the 20fps? 8K video? Only to a single CF express card. You can't shoot 8K or 4K/120 to both cards. People looking to get paid will want to write to both cards as a back up. Ambient temperatures above 73 degrees appear to be a problem as over heating occurs after 20-30minutes. Shooting a wedding outside in 85 degree weather or on the beach in the sun? Canon is publishing a lot of high end specs. Let's see how usable those specs are out in the field. Canon has a history of delivering cameras that look good on paper. I don't think Canon has the technology to deliver these specs in a usable package yet. In this case its not an issue of Canon crippling their mirrorless to protect higher end DSLR sales.

This will be an awesome camera for a stills photographer working in studio or available light, but so is a Pentax K-1 or a Fuji XT-3/4 or Olympus EM-2/3 or Panasonic G9.

I think the Panasonic S1H is still king for the video segment.

"This will be an awesome camera for a stills photographer working in studio or available light..." You forget that R5 (or R6) can shoot 12fps with mechanical shutter, which is plenty enough for mostly everything, from BIF to sports. Even A9 II can't shoot at 12fps with mechanical shutter and it's the sport flagship of Sony. Calling R5 or R6 studio camera is a joke.

As for video, I know a few studio videographers that work in controlled environment and they are super excited to work with R5 for commercial videos. It also depends in which part of the world you live in because in Romania for example 90% of the weddings are inside even in summer and the temperature is around 21-23 degrees celsius.

Videographers I talked to expected 5 minutes of 8k footage knowing the overheat problems from small bodies, so 20 minutes are a lot more than they expected.

Regarding this phrase "Canon has a history of delivering cameras that look good on paper." I think you're confusing Canon with Sony and Nikon. Canon has been under these 2 for the last 6-7 years in terms of specs, yet, after all the criticism of initial reviews online, the reviewers start to change their mind after long term reviews.