Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #211
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
And it works with every EF lens,no hiccups.

Normally,he gets back to enquiries very rapidly.Or he did in the early days,now that his business has grown he may dismiss brands that he hasnt heard of?
From the video reviews of it in action, it does look rather functional.

Which is why I messaged them suggesting the K version. I figure since Ricoh has said over and over again that Pentax is a DSLR brand that there would be some interest in filling a gap with no competition. Namely an autofocus K adapter for a mirrorless body (Nikon) since we'll likely not see a proper Pentax Mirrorless body.

But ah well. Pentax is such a tiny, minuscule part of the market these days it probably doesn't make financial sense to handle it.

08-02-2020, 08:20 PM   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For folks who like to go bobbing for apples in a cesspool, the DPR comments section for the DPRTV Canon EOS R5 is... maximum DPR
08-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #213
maw
Pentaxian

Maybe it's because I'm not interested in mirrorless, but what's the point of buying one of any brand no matter which one, and then buying so many adapters?
Experimenting? Or loss of identity?
08-02-2020, 11:11 PM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Maybe it's because I'm not interested in mirrorless, but what's the point of buying one of any brand no matter which one, and then buying so many adapters?
Under a different world order, in a different reality, perhaps laws would have been passed mandating full interoperability between cameras and lenses of differing brand. Sort of like saying that computer operating systems should allow a range of different web browsers. Not this reality? Oh well.

Oh wait, wasn't that the way M42 operated? Such a pity that bayonet mounts went off in so many directions.

08-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #215
mee
Veteran Member

New Objectives in Photographic Exploration

If you're not interested, why try to understand?
08-02-2020, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

Which is why I messaged them suggesting the K version. I figure since Ricoh has said over and over again that Pentax is a DSLR brand that there would be some interest in filling a gap with no competition. Namely an autofocus K adapter for a mirrorless body (Nikon) since we'll likely not see a proper Pentax Mirrorless body.

But ah well. Pentax is such a tiny, minuscule part of the market these days it probably doesn't make financial sense to handle it.
Maybe it is because of that, and even if they would offer that possibility, there might still be just a few of pentaxians interested, because rest of them do like their mirror boxes and then they won’t buy it, any of it.
08-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #217
maw
Pentaxian

New Objectives in Photographic Exploration

If you're not interested, why try to understand?
Ignoring knowledge and understanding how the world moves, are the death of research and life, Covid-19 has taught nothing to many people and rulers but has created and will create many problems, but believed to be immortal or almost (negationists).

I simply asked, why change dozens of grafts and lenses to prove what?
The ''beautiful'' photos can you still take with a normal film reflex camera and with a banal lens just knowing how to use it?
In the end, when you're 100 years old, I hope so, and you're still trying out new adapters.

Certainly in the near future the photos will be taken with a click of the eyes and through the cerebral cortex will be processed and sent mentally through our personal taste, science fiction?

Bye Mario

08-03-2020, 01:49 AM   #218
Pentaxian

Original Poster
what's the point of buying one of any brand no matter which one, and then buying so many adapters?
So that you can have the benefit of different features and it can be beneficial price wise too.

---------- Post added 08-03-20 at 07:57 PM ----------

Ive only seen it on his website,I'll go have a look around.

I have the 2nd version of the FringerPro EF to FX,it works great but not with every Canon mount lens.Viltrox takes up some of the slack though.
08-03-2020, 02:49 AM   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ignoring knowledge and understanding how the world moves, are the death of research and life, Covid-19 has taught nothing to many people and rulers but has created and will create many problems, but believed to be immortal or almost (negationists).

I simply asked, why change dozens of grafts and lenses to prove what?
The ''beautiful'' photos can you still take with a normal film reflex camera and with a banal lens just knowing how to use it?
In the end, when you're 100 years old, I hope so, and you're still trying out new adapters.

Certainly in the near future the photos will be taken with a click of the eyes and through the cerebral cortex will be processed and sent mentally through our personal taste, science fiction?

Bye Mario
Each person is different.

Personally, I just want the basic focal lengths to shoot with high quality lenses that mount and function well without an adapter. Pentax has provided that for me.

But, there are plenty of people out there that love searching flea markets for "interesting" lenses and seeing how their rendering differs from more modern glass -- or they just have a bunch of old lenses that they never got rid of and mirrorless give those new life.

I don't really think there is a right way or a wrong way to do photography, although I will say that I doubt most folks want to mess with adapters long term and as time goes by they will try to fill out a complete RF mount lens line up (if they can afford it).
08-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #220
mee
Veteran Member

I simply asked, why change dozens of grafts and lenses to prove what?The ''beautiful'' photos can you still take with a normal film reflex camera and with a banal lens just knowing how to use it?In the end, when you're 100 years old, I hope so, and you're still trying out new adapters.
If someone wants to mount Canon lenses on a Nikon, or Nikon Lenses on a Canon, or Fuji Lenses on a Sony, etc then let them. It is a hobby for many, just something enjoyable to do.
08-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #221
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R5 can shoot STILLS!

Many 5Dmk4 shooters will be interested in what this body is capable of and those already in the R system will buy.

Gordons assessment of gear is always interesting.

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 06:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really think there is a right way or a wrong way to do photography
Canons stills way looks pretty right to me.

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 06:53 AM ----------

a complete RF mount lens line up
Thats going to COSTalotta and take a long time.

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 07:08 AM ----------

I will say that I doubt most folks want to mess with adapters long term
Well probably,however the Canon adapters are out of the ordinary.At present they provide 3.The standard one does the job.The control ring turns EF lenses into the same functionality as a native lens.Then theres the filter adapter,quite an innovation for who needs it and can afford it.

Also,there are patents for a few more.One is a speedbooster which will interest plenty.

The cost of this system is the only obstacle.
08-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #222
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It shoots 120 4K commercially too.(first day out of the box)

Probably,the overheating warning light is coming on too early.Many users so far have continued to use R5 well past the initial warning.Here is a good example.

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 09:57 AM ----------

8K wedding footage,short clips ofcourse.

---------- Post added 08-04-20 at 10:02 AM ----------

Last edited by surfar; 08-03-2020 at 03:58 PM.
08-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW DPReview is suggesting the R5 (and R6 kinda surprisingly) is not a suitable camera for professionals intending to use it primarily for video.

Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised - but that's not enough: Digital Photography Review
"After extensive testing of both cameras, our conclusions with regards internal recording are:

Both the EOS R5 and R6 appear capable of working as promised
Lack of dependability makes them a poor choice for much professional video work"
and this:
Even set to the mode designed to limit pre-recording temperature build-up, the clock is essentially running from the moment you turn the camera on...any time spent setting up a shot, setting white balance, setting focus or waiting for your talent to get ready (or shooting still images) will all cut into your available recording time, and you won't reliably get the full amount Canon advises. Not only does this make R5 a poor fit for many professional video shoots, it also means that you can't depend on the cameras when shooting video alongside stills at, say, a wedding, which is a situation that the EOS R5 clearly is intended for.

EDIT: Apparently I may have been wrong about how forgiving the reviewers would be, They might be starting to pile on. There's new reports of even still shooting causing overheating.
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/03/dpreview-eos-r5-overheating-test-you-cant-d...on-the-camera/

So it's an open question whether trying to be "the master of all things" as I suggested earlier will have been a wise move at the moment. Still wish them success.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-04-2020 at 05:00 PM.
08-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #224
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
FWIW DPReview is suggesting the R5 (and R6 kinda surprisingly) is not a suitable camera for professionals intending to use it primarily for video.
There are lots of opinions,they are stills cameras with advanced video capabilities.As with the R and RP,both those were a little underdone on release but after the necessary tweaks they are very capable if used withing their limitations.The same will apply to the 2 latest bodies.

As far as overheating,IF,the cameras are used within their capabilities they work fine.MANY reviewers have pushed the cameras to the limit and pointed the finger.REV a car flat to the floor and see how that goes for a prolonged period?

All issues are being addressed(not sure when the firmware will be released or the cooling aids?) so its just a matter of time.

Canon have out specked Sony, those FanBabies are crying the loudest!lol.
08-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
There are lots of opinions,they are stills cameras with advanced video capabilities.As with the R and RP,both those were a little underdone on release but after the necessary tweaks they are very capable if used withing their limitations.The same will apply to the 2 latest bodies.

As far as overheating,IF,the cameras are used within their capabilities they work fine.MANY reviewers have pushed the cameras to the limit and pointed the finger.REV a car flat to the floor and see how that goes for a prolonged period?

All issues are being addressed(not sure when the firmware will be released or the cooling aids?) so its just a matter of time.

Canon have out specked Sony, those FanBabies are crying the loudest!lol.
The overheat problems might or might not be able to be fixed with firmware. Chances are it's a hardware issue that cannot be so easily remedied (unless Canon has dropped the ball really, really hard with their software).

From the DPR article, "During a one hour lunch, the R5 had returned back to normal, but the R6 had a twenty minute warning still on." More than an hour being needed to go back to room temperature points to either the camera's physical construction or the heat generation of the CPU/sensor being far more than it should be.

That said, dual R6s would more or less fix the issue if someone needs to shoot 2h+ of footage in one go, and stills don't seem to be affected that much.