Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not interested in video, but these cameras look exciting for stills. I can't remember saying that about Canons before.

08-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #227
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'm not interested in video, but these cameras look exciting for stills. I can't remember saying that about Canons before.
Thye may even have overheating issues if only shooting stills.

[You get] 19 min from a cold body with no foreplay, [if] you take a pic or two and fiddle in the menus that time begins to drop. I got to use an R5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the EF to RF adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out.

Their processors may be too much for the relatively compact cameras without adding an additional cooling system, tho how it would not be recognized as an issue in engineering would be hard to understand so my guess may not turn out accurate.

In any case if it's something that can't be corrected with firmware that would be unfortunate as I agree the new Canon's were looking like a significant step forward. Certainly way out of my budget so nothing I'd be considering but not for certain professionals who lean heavily on video or some the most dedicated Canonites who simply want the most top of their line.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-04-2020 at 06:54 PM.
08-04-2020, 09:05 PM   #228
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I doubt it.

---------- Post added 08-05-20 at 03:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The overheat problems might or might not be able to be fixed with firmware.
Some maybe, whats the firmware do?...nobody knows.

There are 2 hardware adapters coming,they will extend the time.

Both these bodies work as intended,as Ive said its the silly reviewers who push past the limit (of the canon limitations) who have had the bodies shut down.

Test your car for overheating...in neutral,put a brick on the accelarator and leave it there...the red light comes on...Now will you leave the brick there like these camera reviewers?
08-04-2020, 11:28 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

[You get] 19 min from a cold body with no foreplay, [if] you take a pic or two and fiddle in the menus that time begins to drop. I got to use an R5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the EF to RF adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out.

Their processors may be too much for the relatively compact cameras without adding an additional cooling system, tho how it would not be recognized as an issue in engineering would be hard to understand so my guess may not turn out accurate.

In any case if it's something that can't be corrected with firmware that would be unfortunate as I agree the new Canon's were looking like a significant step forward. Certainly way out of my budget so nothing I'd be considering but not for certain professionals who lean heavily on video or some the most dedicated Canonites who simply want the most top of their line.
To me this would be not so good. It does remind me of the times when I did drive motocross(even if this is just a bridge from one subject to an other). Great fun, driving. Having to change a lot of parts, clean up after, because driving those things are really powerful and eat up parts quick, more so if you really drive I like you stole it.. hours of fun, sometimes even days of waiting for parts(I was hobbyist and did not have access of lot of things to begin with). This reminds me of that. You get great performance from this, but you have to have a cooler with you, attached to the camera(rig) or a bigger one, and/or second body. But when one is a professional, you should have enough dough...perhaps that part of 1600mbs transfer rate does also heat things up too? More file, more images captured, more heat -> more sweat. While pentaxians are waiting for their buffer to clear, these guys are having cool aid

08-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #230
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
While pentaxians are waiting for their buffer to clear,
The people in the R system are shooting, shooting,shooting shooting shooting shooting with fast accurate AF!
08-05-2020, 12:38 AM   #231
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The people in the R system are shooting, shooting,shooting shooting shooting shooting with fast accurate AF!
Unless they first did a nice video, and then had their machine on for too long. It could be just a short try first, then 5 Minutes video -8 K ofcourse- and . . . Cooling . . . Still cooling . . . (AF is no use when camera is off, you can’t even look through VF, because it is black too.

Edit: You do know, I’m not 100% serious...being more serious. I have interest of high quality hybrid, just for my video needs. I have BMPCC4K. I have lived with it’s restrictions, and while all is fine, I can use just battery, no external. And as you know it has short life. Usually I have to fix things, like you know...all that does chew battery. But it can be solved with fresh battery at your pocket. But I can feelthe heat. If, I’d choose out of these new ones. It would be A7SIII or a bit order S1H, latter, because it has fan(genious, right).

Last edited by repaap; 08-05-2020 at 01:12 AM.
08-05-2020, 03:06 AM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt it.

---------- Post added 08-05-20 at 03:10 PM ----------

Some maybe, whats the firmware do?...nobody knows.

There are 2 hardware adapters coming,they will extend the time.

Both these bodies work as intended,as Ive said its the silly reviewers who push past the limit (of the canon limitations) who have had the bodies shut down.

Test your car for overheating...in neutral,put a brick on the accelarator and leave it there...the red light comes on...Now will you leave the brick there like these camera reviewers?
Are you saying that shooting two and a half hours in 85 degree temperatures with stills only is akin to holding your accelerator pedal down with a brick? It must be cooler in Australia than I thought, because that doesn't sound extreme to me at all. It feels like most of the summer around here it is 10 degrees warmer than that and I certainly wouldn't get a camera that couldn't tolerate 90 degree heat for more than a couple of hours.

08-05-2020, 06:21 AM   #233
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Are you saying that shooting two and a half hours in 85 degree temperatures with stills

What I said,
as Ive said its the silly reviewers who push past the limit
These reviewers are given(loaned) the cameras,wait till the observations of the buyers start filtering through.When there is a negative review of a Pentax product,do you believe that non owner(?) or the reports of people who actually cough up the cash and know how to use Pentax?

The data output is the most of any smallish camera so far,its amazing there is 8K full frame at all for the size.

---------- Post added 08-06-20 at 12:27 AM ----------

I certainly wouldn't get a camera that couldn't tolerate 90 degree heat for more than a couple of hours.
Well dont buy a $ony!
08-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter

What I said,

These reviewers are given(loaned) the cameras,wait till the observations of the buyers start filtering through.When there is a negative review of a Pentax product,do you believe that non owner(?) or the reports of people who actually cough up the cash and know how to use Pentax?

The data output is the most of any smallish camera so far,its amazing there is 8K full frame at all for the size.

---------- Post added 08-06-20 at 12:27 AM ----------

Well dont buy a $ony!
Right. Buy Pentax.
Mirrorless in general does tend to get a bit heated, more so than DSLR.

I take it you hate Sony BTW. Why?
08-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #235
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I take it you hate Sony BTW. Why?
No,i dont hate $ony.However i wont buy any due to the fact of all their products that Ive been a consumer of have failed.Put LG into that category too.

Right. Buy Pentax.
Lets wait and see what it can do first!
08-05-2020, 02:08 PM   #236
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not Smart reviewers

Lol

From the EOS R5 Adavanced User Guide.......Page 375.

......."RED Internal temperature warning icon"....

........"turn off the power and let the camera cool down".....

So how many of the reviewers followed this instruction?...I know the answer to the many things Ive read and watched.

ZERO...ZILCH.....NONE!

So they pushed the camera to the limit where its design mechanism turns it off,SO the user error caused the camera to get to a level of heat that the manufacturer has warned about.Consequently it takes a longer period to cool than when the first moment of the RED LIGHT appearing.

The R5/6 work as they are designed.

Last edited by surfar; 08-05-2020 at 02:23 PM.
08-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter

Lol

From the EOS R5 Adavanced User Guide.......Page 375.

......."RED Internal temperature warning icon"....

........"turn off the power and let the camera cool down".....

So how many of the reviewers followed this instruction?...I know the answer to the many things Ive read and watched.

ZERO...ZILCH.....NONE!

So they pushed the camera to the limit where its design mechanism turns it off,SO the user error caused the camera to get to a level of heat that the manufacturer has warned about.Consequently it takes a longer period to cool than when the first moment of the RED LIGHT appearing.

The R5/6 work as they are designed.
That's not what DPR did is it? That they would suggest it's not a camera for professionals was surprising considering the noise surrounding it and the number of times "professional" was used in pre-release PR. You can hardly shut the camera off and let it cool down at a wedding or live event unless you're a fairly well to do professional wiling to invest in multiple R5 (or R6) bodies, and then you might be better served by a really good DSLR or MILC and a completely separate video camera if that's equally important..

One camera being the master of all things might be unreasonable. Still these new Canon's appear to be great and innovative cameras as long as what you believe what they will do for you is tempered. Focusing looks amazing and it's got the whole checklist of camera features prosumers look for.

Perhaps initial hype from the fans and the press was a bit too grandiose, and that's certainly not all on Canon's shoulders. I'm sure they would have preferred over-delivering rather than this early negativity.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-05-2020 at 05:42 PM.
08-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #238
Pentaxian

Original Poster
a fairly well to do professional wiling to invest in multiple R5 (or R6) bodies,
An amatuer takes a single camera to a paid gig,the professionals who shoot Canon will take their Dslrs(unless they stopped working the day the R5 walked in the door) and use both accordingly.

The Pros who already use R/RP will use those in tandem with R5/6...

One camera being the master of all things might be unreasonable.
The R5 probably wont be "master" of all things,but wait and see.There is no alternative FF that is HI RES/FAST/Advanced video capable.R5 is the leader in that category.The noise about the downsides will be proven to be inaccurate as time passes.

$ony FanBabies seem to be the most vocal about whats making the topic the hot item it is.Its there in black and white(manual) on how to operate it...Free Download btw.
08-06-2020, 02:42 AM   #239
Pentaxian

There is no alternative FF that is HI RES/FAST/Advanced video capable.R5 is the leader in that category.The noise about the downsides will be proven to be inaccurate as time passes.
That you are getting a A9II+A7RIV+A7SIII in one R5 body makes it both the smallest, lightest, most portable and by far cheapest solution in one go.

The $ony forcing allrounders to buy multiple cameras to fullfill broader requirements is actually the biggest feature crippling attack on buyers on the market.

Why do smartphones sell? Because they can do it all.
08-06-2020, 02:58 AM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An amatuer takes a single camera to a paid gig,the professionals who shoot Canon will take their Dslrs(unless they stopped working the day the R5 walked in the door) and use both accordingly.

The Pros who already use R/RP will use those in tandem with R5/6...

The R5 probably wont be "master" of all things,but wait and see.There is no alternative FF that is HI RES/FAST/Advanced video capable.R5 is the leader in that category.The noise about the downsides will be proven to be inaccurate as time passes.

$ony FanBabies seem to be the most vocal about whats making the topic the hot item it is.Its there in black and white(manual) on how to operate it...Free Download btw.
I'm not the market for this camera, but typically a pro is going to be shooting a wedding with two bodies -- one with a 70-200 on it and the other with a 24-70 on it. Shutting down one of your cameras mid-event for a period of time would be less than ideal and carrying a third camera body and breaking that out wouldn't be great either.

I'm sure these cameras will sell well. They bring a lot to the table. I just think there are some downsides to putting this sort of processing capability in a tight MILC box.