Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2020, 03:07 AM   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That you are getting a A9II+A7RIV+A7SIII in one R5 body makes it both the smallest, lightest, most portable and by far cheapest solution in one go.
That's pretty much what I also think. R5 is a photography beast with very capable video specs. Paired with the RF lenses that are amazing...

Not to mention that R6 looks a lot better than A9 II for 2000$ less. It has:
- similar EVF with 120fps refresh rate
- better video specs
- 12fps with mechanical shutter (A9 II has 10fps) and the same 20fps with electronic shutter
- Af sensitivity -6.5EV while A9 II has the af sensitivity rated to -3EV
- up to 8 stops of IBIS while A9 II has 5 stops which pretty much every photograher say it's more like 3.7-4 stops

On paper R6 also has better ISO performance than A9 II. The af may be a little better on A9 II but we have to see how much better it is, if it is at all...

---------- Post added 08-06-20 at 10:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not the market for this camera, but typically a pro is going to be shooting a wedding with two bodies -- one with a 70-200 on it and the other with a 24-70 on it. Shutting down one of your cameras mid-event for a period of time would be less than ideal and carrying a third camera body and breaking that out wouldn't be great either.

I'm sure these cameras will sell well. They bring a lot to the table. I just think there are some downsides to putting this sort of processing capability in a tight MILC box.
There are already pros filming weddings with R5 and R6. They shoot normal 4k at 24fps where the camera doesn't overheat not even after 2 hours of filming and for special moments they have the second body to shoot 4k at 60/120fps. No complains so far from their reports.

08-06-2020, 04:34 AM   #242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
That's pretty much what I also think. R5 is a photography beast with very capable video specs. Paired with the RF lenses that are amazing...

Not to mention that R6 looks a lot better than A9 II for 2000$ less. It has:
- similar EVF with 120fps refresh rate
- better video specs
- 12fps with mechanical shutter (A9 II has 10fps) and the same 20fps with electronic shutter
- Af sensitivity -6.5EV while A9 II has the af sensitivity rated to -3EV
- up to 8 stops of IBIS while A9 II has 5 stops which pretty much every photograher say it's more like 3.7-4 stops

On paper R6 also has better ISO performance than A9 II. The af may be a little better on A9 II but we have to see how much better it is, if it is at all...

---------- Post added 08-06-20 at 10:13 AM ----------

There are already pros filming weddings with R5 and R6. They shoot normal 4k at 24fps where the camera doesn't overheat not even after 2 hours of filming and for special moments they have the second body to shoot 4k at 60/120fps. No complains so far from their reports.
As a mostly unrelated aside: are 8 stops of IBIS ever needed? That would turn a shot "needing" 1/8000 shutter speed into... 1/30? You're gonna run into motion blur issues a good way before hitting the IS limits. Unless you're using a 2000mm telescope to shoot the wedding from a flying plane I guess

To be fair I haven't managed to get more than 4 stops or so out of the K-1 but that's IBIS only... and 1/4 second with a 50mm is plenty good for me.
08-06-2020, 04:45 AM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
As a mostly unrelated aside: are 8 stops of IBIS ever needed? That would turn a shot "needing" 1/8000 shutter speed into... 1/30? You're gonna run into motion blur issues a good way before hitting the IS limits. Unless you're using a 2000mm telescope to shoot the wedding from a flying plane I guess

To be fair I haven't managed to get more than 4 stops or so out of the K-1 but that's IBIS only... and 1/4 second with a 50mm is plenty good for me.
To be honest, I don't care about IBIS at all when comes to photos. What I shoot, people mostly, require a shutter speed of 1/60s minimum and given that I shoot a lot wide open with fast lenses, I use a shutter speed of 1/125s or faster so IBIS is a feature that I need only on very few occasions. On wildlife it's also less important because I tend to shoot from a hide, using a tripod. On the other hand, I started to learn and shoot video and those 8 stops of IBIS will make the gimbal less necessary for what I plan to film.
08-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I wonder?

When will the next camera be able to do 35mp stills @ 30 fps?

I'll answer,.......itll be the next 8K capable Canon

---------- Post added 08-07-20 at 02:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
a A9II+A7RIV+A7SIII
4500 + 3500+3500= 3x R5s.... and all have easy to use menus(not 1 out of 3).[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by surfar; 08-06-2020 at 09:08 AM.
08-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #245
Pentaxian

Original Poster
NO OVERHEATING if you use this method.

---------- Post added 08-07-20 at 03:39 AM ----------

Low light looks ok.

Last edited by surfar; 08-06-2020 at 09:40 AM.
08-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #246
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Watch from 8/35

As Ive been emphasising, the people who are pushing the limits trying to over heat the R5 are just silly.

If the Canon user guide is followed,then recovery time is probably as Canon stated @ the specified temperature.If the temps cooler recovery will be shorter and viceversa.

This guys research is good.

08-06-2020, 11:50 PM   #247
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would believe that this -using it past the limits- usage does imply that this is what people would like to have. Especially when all that you see is that high quality video at there. Where it should just be used carefully, and you get that, not just all of that and stick to the rules. This goes for everything out there from stoneages. Don’t do that or you going to break it.

As it seems, it can give you great result, just use Ninja with it at alltimes, when shooting high quality video. Heat is not good for camera and or media, it does lower the quality and reliability. I f one just has a brief look of dataransfer speeds with those Cards, it is easy to figure out, it’ll overheat.

Next thing is that incerdible ibis, which is combination of ES and sensor stabilisation. It is great, but it does give you that little wobble which is normal because of ES(some Walkin examples does prove this). It is great, do you really need to go that far? Please consider of using proper shoulder kit or gimbal.

Great camera R5. Expensive, and even more so with all thegear you neidot make it work(nothing new) and then to get those lenses on top of that...

08-07-2020, 01:54 AM   #248
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Great camera R5.
It will be when fully developed and some bugs overcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Expensive, and even more so with all thegear you neidot make it work(nothing new) and then to get those lenses on top of that...

The body's intro price is only 10% above what it replaced(5Dmk4), so its fair.The add ons that will be needed add a premium though.

Some of the native lenses are up there but so is the SoNik glass.When you consider the present OEM adapters and third party,the EF/s glass works great and is excellent mostly and sometimes superb.

CF express co$t, the Ninja Atomos is usually owned already by video enthusiasts,but some dont.

Last edited by surfar; 08-07-2020 at 02:03 AM.
08-07-2020, 02:14 AM   #249
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It will be when fully developed and some bugs overcome.

The body's intro price is only 10% above what it replaced(5Dmk4), so its fair.The add ons that will be needed add a premium though.

Some of the native lenses are up there but so is the SoNik glass.When you consider the present OEM adapters and third party,the EF/s glass works great and is excellent mostly and sometimes superb.

CF express co$t, the Ninja Atomos is usually owned already by video enthusiasts,but some dont.
Yes, that is actually what I did mean. If one has these OEM lenses, but if you don't. And it does work best with RF, as it does for SoNiksonik too to be fair...atleast this is what they say in these videos made for the brand...video guys have their stuff for sure.
08-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A load of old EF glass works without any limitations on the R6/R5:
EOS R5 - Canon Deutschland

While you can use adapters on other systems what I read means that these cross brand adaptions without any exception limit the native performance of EF lenses with regards to autofocus (not for shooting flowers and landscape but for sports).
08-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #251
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Using the R5 within its limitations,it works as Canon intended.

So we are through the period of reviews where SRs(silly reviewers) are pushing it PAST the intended limitations.

Now, the real practical use situations are being revealed.

08-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #252
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A portrait shoot

08-11-2020, 05:17 AM   #253
Pentaxian

Original Poster
R5 shooting some wild life.

This is a promo for one of the online gear sellers in OZ,set in a great place to visit.
08-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #254
Veteran Member

Remember that Canon doesn't intentionally cripple their cameras.

UPDATED: Chinese user modifies Canon EOS R5 to improve heat management, but finds artificial firmware time limit - EOSHD.com - Filmmaking Gear and Camera Reviews
08-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting points in the article. Thanks.