Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Canon doesn't intentionally cripple their cameras.
Unless they have Cinema cams they want to sell!

---------- Post added 08-12-20 at 08:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
While you can use adapters on other systems what I read means that these cross brand adaptions without any exception limit the native performance of EF lenses with regards to autofocus (not for shooting flowers and landscape but for sports).
When the adapters get exact copies for half the price?

08-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #257
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pretty Birdie!

Heres one opinion on birding.
08-12-2020, 03:12 AM   #258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Viltrox EF R2 adapter for Canon EOS R RP R5 R6 with control ring at half the price - YouTube[/url]
That is not a cross brand adapter (e.g. Sony lens on Nikon Z camera) which I meant. The issues are in poorly reverse engineered protocols. To date even neither Sigma nor Tamron really have the old DSLR mount protocols understood.
08-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #259
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is not a cross brand adapter (e.g. Sony lens on Nikon Z camera) which I meant. The issues are in poorly reverse engineered protocols. To date even neither Sigma nor Tamron really have the old DSLR mount protocols understood.
Well,Viltrox is a cross brand.They make lenses for Sony,Fuji,Nikon Z and L alliance.

Also,AF adapters F to M43
F to Sony
EF to nikon Z
EF to Sony
EF to Fuji.

Last edited by surfar; 08-12-2020 at 06:17 AM.
08-12-2020, 06:45 AM   #260
Pentaxian

Well,Viltrox is a cross brand.They make lenses for Sony,Fuji,Nikon Z and L alliance.
And all those adapters do not let lenses perform the way they do on the correct OEM body.
08-12-2020, 06:52 AM   #261
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And all those adapters do not let lenses perform the way they do on the correct OEM body.
What experience do you have?
08-12-2020, 07:38 AM   #262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks. I watched this and then a couple of the other Canon promos. Very impressive technology, the tracking is amazing. Did leave me thinking it's all a little soul-less. Reminds me of GPS, and how they've now shown that people have lost a good share of their innate ability of direction because of relying so much on it.

Anyway, I like my KP. . .

08-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #263
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Did leave me thinking it's all a little soul-less.
Anyway, I like my KP. . .
Some people like their horses and carts too.
08-12-2020, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some people like their horses and carts too.
True, good point. Not sure if this post will come through though as I wrote it on my trusty stone tablet.
08-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #265
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not sure if this post will come through though as I wrote it on my trusty stone tablet.
Its ok, most of the hobbit holers are using them too!
08-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #266
maw
Pentaxian

Did leave me thinking it's all a little soul-less. Reminds me of GPS, and how they've now shown that people have lost a good share of their innate ability of direction because of relying so much on it. Anyway, I like my KP. . .
Fully agree
08-13-2020, 01:24 AM   #267
Pentaxian

Original Poster
800mm

just a few amateur shots @ 26mp...DigitalPhoto.Work - EOS RP + RF 800mm

08-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #268
Pentaxian

That is a pretty well made AF comparison for human eye AF:

I expect to see the Sony to fall behind even more with animals, especially when it's not a dog or cat.
08-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #269
Veteran Member

That is a pretty well made AF comparison for human eye AF:
Canon EOS R5 vs Sony a7R IV vs Nikon Z7 EYE AF REVIEW (2020 Edition) - YouTube

I expect to see the Sony to fall behind even more with animals, especially when it's not a dog or cat.
Its a good test, but The A7IV doesn't have Sony's best AF system, so Its not really an apples to apples test. If you want to test cameras with 40MP sensors then you need to test the R-5, A7rIII, & Z7. All of those are amazing cameras for portrait work. The A7rIII (399 PDAF points) doesn't have the same tracking or AF point coverage as the A7rIII (567 PDAF points), but it does have the same eye-AF and animal eye AF. For the test that Fro is doing, there shouldn't be any difference between the performance of the III vs the IV. A friend of mine has both and the most noticeable difference between the 2 of them (to me) is the A7IV EVF is better and I like the body a little better since its closer to my A9 body. The AF on the A9 is definitely better and that is a 4 year old camera. What you are seeing in the video is the best that Canon and Nikon have to offer against Sony's older technology. I know it makes you feel better to think that Sony is falling behind, but that's not what has happened. It's great that Canon has finally released a solid camera like the R-5 and I hope Nikon has an amazing Z-9 ready to launch in the near future, because Sony has been sitting on a lot of technology trying to slow their release cycles. The A7sIII has been ready for launch since the end of 2018. Hopefully Panasonic has some big improvements to their AF system as well as they could be a bigger competitor than Nikon since there are so many hybrid users on the market these day. Hopefully a sensor manufacturer can step up and force Sony to put better sensors in their cameras. The A9/a9II sensor is 4 years old and that was really the last time Sony put a cutting edge (for its day) sensor in a camera.

More companies making great cameras is a good thing for everyone.
08-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #270
Pentaxian

Its a good test, but The A7IV doesn't have Sony's best AF system, so Its not really an apples to apples test.
I know it makes you feel better to claim that this test is flawed, but actually it simply compares the most modern high res DSLMs from three makers and your beloved Sony is not the winner this time. But hey, maybe the A7R5 catches up again in two years.

The AF on the A9 is definitely better and that is a 4 year old camera.
That doesnt help the A7RIV compete in any way, and we are not comparing low res / low image quality cameras, but high res ones. Super fast high res ones.

And there are simply no robust comparative tests out there which prove your claim, so allow me to call b/s on this. Feel free to provide proof.

The animal eye AF of the only 11 months old Sony A9II certainly doesn't look like it is on the same level as Canon's implementation.
But we should wait for robust comparisons.

The A9/a9II sensor is 4 years old and that was really the last time Sony put a cutting edge (for its day) sensor in a camera.
For anyone needing a lot of cropping for wildlife and anyone wanting competitive dynamic range that old 24 MPx sensor in the the A9II never was cutting edge. It was a great one trick/feature pony in its time.
Sony's sensor image quality sacrifices made to allow a fast display obviously did not fit to a broad audience. Not even the A9/A9II owners in forums dared advertise the image quality as a strength.
But that is off topic anyway. Here we discuss high res/high image quality bodies.

Just be happy that Sony now really need to up their game in the next A7R cameras to catch up.