Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 02:56 AM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
That 50mm is frightening.
Dont be frightened its only a lens,none have bitten me yet!

CaNikTax all have a niftyfifty,usually cheap and OK.I adapt the STM EF 50mm,its ok.Especially for a lazy Hundy.

It will be interesting to find out if the RF is much different to the EF?

10-29-2020, 03:35 AM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, but the FA 50/1.4 is what, 55 years old? AFAIK it's the same optical design as the 1965 7-element Takumar 50/1.4.
Unfortunately that's not really an advantage for Pentax as it's the only alternative to the DFA*50. It might hold up but it will be interesting to see. The Pentax is f1.4 of course but a rather funky f1.4

It'll be interesting to see how Canon does their "lighter" lenses after seeing how their crown jewels look. The 85/2 macro is still large and heavy compared to, say, the 100mm macro WR.
This 50 looks tiny though. FA50 tiny.
10-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
That 50mm is frightening. Finally delivering on the compact milc promise. If it's a good lens reasonably priced it will indeed make Pentax a hard sell.
The Pentax advantage is they're committed to DSLR as are a lot of photographers. Not just any APS-C DSLR but the most ergonomic and best performing. MILC as a whole is a non-starter for a significant percentage of experienced shooters. Even some of those newbies who buy into mirrorless may discover they don't like it as much as some friends DSLR.

Pentax is wise to stick with what they know and not try to be everything for everybody.
10-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Pentax advantage is they're committed to DSLR as are a lot of photographers. Not just any APS-C DSLR but the most ergonomic and best performing. MILC as a whole is a non-starter for a significant percentage of experienced shooters. Even some of those newbies who buy into mirrorless may discover they don't like it as much as some friends DSLR.

Pentax is wise to stick with what they know and not try to be everything for everybody.
I think sticking with DSLR as an advantage (?) is also probably the only option for Pentax. This mirrorless war is causing the big players to bleed out loads of money in a very depressed and shrinking market in a desperate attempt to gather as many people as are left from the dwindling user base of pro's and enthusiasts. Right now it's fire off fully featured cameras as cheap as possible and get them into your lens mount ASAP so they stay in the decades that follow with whatever mount they choose. It's interesting to watch them adopt features to lure people away from DSLR. Remember in the past the "Canon Cripplehammer" and how they used to deliberately heavily limit features on cheaper models? They seem to be doing far far less of that now because they need that RP buying buying glass and sticking with them. That Z5 may lure them away with that "cripple the cheap camera" approach. That can come later once the dust settles.

That was one of the major reasons I picked up Pentax a decade ago. They didn't hold back on features like Canon and Nikon did with their APS-C bodies as they tried to lure/protect Full Frame.

For sure and Pentax is right, there will be some who just always prefer optical. And EVF isn't "Better" but moreso different. For example it is better in dark conditions IMO or really bright sunny days where you can basically look into your shaded viewfinder and not blowout your highlights as you shoot by making quick adjustments. Of course you can do the exact same thing on a liveview display by shading it but it's easier with an EVF. Optical rules right now for fast moving subjects as EVF's still have physics to deal with in transmitting that data to a LCD/OLED and it causes a bit of Lag. Optical is the speed of light and will always have an advantage there. On the other hand mirrorless can shoot at insane FPS compared to a traditional camera. But how many FPS do we really need in any situation to get the job done? The K-3 iii is going to be as fast as the camera's that were professional for years and likely satisfy anyone for speed so long as AF is good with it.

I actually think Pentax could have a genuine advantage if they combined both in an SLR like Fuji does with the rangefinders. That would be a totally unique feature for them and offer both experiences. The X100 series are really a joy that way.

11-03-2020, 01:00 AM   #305
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
TWO new lenses are imminent.

According to some Nokishita leaks the 50mmf1.8(very compact) and the 70-200f4 IS will be announced in a few days.
Well Prices are leaked now,do you want the good news or the high price of the 70-200F4

U$D 1599...pretty steep

The Nifty 50 is U$ 199 which was expected.
11-03-2020, 03:14 AM   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well Prices are leaked now,do you want the good news or the high price of the 70-200F4

U$D 1599...pretty steep

The Nifty 50 is U$ 199 which was expected.
That's the typical release price of their F4 telezooms, no? The EF IS ii goes for 1300 or so and it's been some years.

EDIT: Nevermind, the EF released at $1300. Ooops. That's a hefty increase.
11-03-2020, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #307
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's the typical release price of their F4 telezooms, no? The EF IS ii goes for 1300 or so and it's been some years.
Im seeing EF first edition 550,2nd edition 1000....So a 600 premium for RF.

I like my price 455 plus 70 for Tamron SP 70/200 F2.8 with Canon adapter.

But i wont cheap out on the 50mm,I'll be early adopter!

11-03-2020, 03:42 AM   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well it's not like you can cheap out a lot on a $200 lens, the Tamron is 2000 saved so that one does make a lot of sense
11-03-2020, 03:55 AM   #309
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Rf 50

:lol....It;ll be double what I paid for the EF version.

---------- Post added 11-03-20 at 09:56 PM ----------

Well it's not like you can cheap out a lot on a $200 lens,

---------- Post added 11-03-20 at 10:03 PM ----------

the Tamron is 2000 saved so that one does make a lot of sense
Yes.but actually a double save as its used on Fuji and Canon.
11-03-2020, 04:43 AM   #310
Pentaxian

$199 is not a lot for a brand new ff lens. 50mm lenses are rarely poor so as I said before looking forward to tests.

The FA 50 is likely to look like a terrible deal in comparison.
11-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #311
Pentaxian

The more I use the R5 the more I’m thinking of trading in my 5dsr and 1DX2 on another. I probably won’t just because the 1DX2 is so good and built so well.

I’ve been looking at a couple RF lenses a lot the past couple weeks, probably good nobody has them in stock now I spent enough money the past month. The 28-70 F2 and the 85 1.2 look so good, I just don’t use those short focal lengths much so it’s hard to spend the money but really would like to have one.

I may do a CPS loan on them after the new year.
11-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
The more I use the R5 the more I’m thinking of trading in my 5dsr and 1DX2 on another. I probably won’t just because the 1DX2 is so good and built so well.

I’ve been looking at a couple RF lenses a lot the past couple weeks, probably good nobody has them in stock now I spent enough money the past month. The 28-70 F2 and the 85 1.2 look so good, I just don’t use those short focal lengths much so it’s hard to spend the money but really would like to have one.

I may do a CPS loan on them after the new year.
I’m 90 percent decided on getting either an R6 or Z6ii with a 24-240 or 24-200 for my travel camera. Replacing my OMD. It’s a tough decision but I think I’ll probably go for the Nikon for the FTZ adapter and my Nikon Glass. I’m probably going to go Mirrorless for my full frame, replace the OMD if it’s compact enough with one lens and keep Pentax for DSLR.

Does the IBIS in the Z cameras sync with the lens VR like Canon ?

Honestly Canon has the most attractive mirrorless cameras and lenses at the moment for me. The ergonomics look very well though out.
11-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #313
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nifty 50

11-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #314
Pentaxian

The R5 with the RF50mm F1.8 STM looks an awful lot like a dslr. I know it's the same size as the K-1 minus box potrusion but seeing videos of it being handled with a smallish lens brings it home.

Looks like the 50 will perform according to it's price

mtf https://downloads.canon.com/nw/lens/rf50mm/RF50mm-F1.8-STM.jpg

Last edited by house; 11-04-2020 at 08:09 AM.
11-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 70-200 is super compact, I love the design honestly. Shame it fits on a *shudder* mirrorless camera and costs almost as much (1755€ in Amazon.de) as all my gear together LOL.