Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The path to a 1 inch sensor camera.

After years of using a Pentax W90

And then a Nikon Coolpix Aw 130

There were images like this where these cameras are simply the weakest part of our trip photography. Taken from our trip report... Algonquin Treks & Images

My little dog is blasted, no shadow detail Tess' hat is blasted, Even the canoe gunnels which are neither shiny nor white are blasted, clearly not enough dynamic range.

But these camera are small rugged and waterproof. Perfect for carrying in your pocket. Clearly our intent in the above image is to get our stuff and our dogs up this beaver dam so we can continue our trip. We aren't going to open a pack to get out a DSLR and make an already long day even longer.

Not waterproof we can work around, not pocketable we can't.

So here we are, $1000 worth of waterproof shockproof cameras ($2000 in 1:23 sensor cameras), and not one we want use. In such situations, there's only one solution , a larger sensor. It's basic physics. Even my Q has a protruding lens that makes it less than desirable as a pocket camera.

And my XG-1 while achieving 1200mm is hardly low profile for quick unobtrusive storage.

So what's a guy to do?

I field tested a Lumix FZ1000 5 years ago.. and liked the results but not the form, again , not pocketable. Too bulky for a rugged hiking quickly available scenario.
But I liked the images.

If your thinking "Pentax doesn't make a 1 inch sensor pocket camera" you'd be right. But, neither does almost anyone else. Enter the Lumix ZS100

So forgoing the DA 16-85 for yet another year, we put this years photo budget into this camera. As advertised it fits nicely into a jacket pocket. We will order a leather carry case for dry weather walks and a very small Pelican case for wet weather, and for attaching to the outside of a pack or belt for quick access

First impressions.... I really have to be careful with the aperture. I suspect the useful diffraction limit is about ƒ5, but the camera seems to wander up into 5.9 and above, because when you set it to ƒ5.9 in telephoto, it doesn't remember to stop down to ƒ4 when you return to a wider focal length, unlike my Pentax's where if you set it to the widest possible aperture, it will always use the widest possible aperture, even after a lens change.

In Imaging Resources it's 20 MP sensor puts out close to the same resolution as my K-3. So the IQ has been a delight. Not to mention no lens hoods. The lens protection automatically opens when you turn the camera on and closes itself when you turn it off. No keeping track of lens hoods and caps.Walking with the K-3 around my neck ready for birds or other wildlife it saves me lens changes by being easily available, and you can pull it out of your pocket with one hand.

It's resolution makes it a fine landscape camera in everyday situations. I've yet to test it on sunsets (extremely high DR) or low light situations.

The dynamic range is far superior to 1:2.3 sensor cameras. In the image below the wood splitter and wood pile were rescued from near blackness and look great. No colour shift or loss of detail.

I'm shooting raw files and they hold up to heavy manipulation for special effects, like exploiting the shape of the tire patterns in the snow.

It does seem to suffer from diffraction a bit in the long end, but with a minimum aperture of 5.9 that's given. Still here at ƒ5.9 and 200mm, it's really not bad.

A landscape at ƒ5.6. Clearly past the diffraction limit but sometimes I PP my images to look like this, so it's not big issue.

The macro feature is excellent and if you're used to large sensors 4/3, APS-c, FF, pretty much to die for.

Going to a different camera system means a much longer learning curve. Little things like the aperture adjustment turning the wrong way compared to Pentax , are just irritating. If you only have one dial, at least it could turn the right way. The EVF is next to useless for judging image quality but gets you pointed in the right direction on a sunny day. And I've confined it to single centre point focus, because the crazy AF system is ridiculously unpredictable. Honestly this whole jabbing the back of the screen with your finger to establish where you want the camera to focus is ridiculous. Ridiculously more complicate than it needs to be. For landscapes or even macros, the unpredictblilty of the camera if there is hand movement makes having a tripod almost a necessity. Telling it to focus on the tree to the right was way more effort than it should have been and took three tries with an effort to hold the camera really still while getting my hand away from the back of the camera to take the picture. But hey, not everything is perfect, just like every other system.

All in all, we are looking forward to improving the weakest part of our trip photography next summer, and it will be really handy glove box camera on trips to the store etc. Even helping with wildlife on occasion, even if it falls far behind a K-3 with DA 55-300 in that regard.

K-3 and DA*60-250 with 1.4 TC

ZS100, same shooting position.

As an added bonus, the 4k video is pretty much astounding if you have a 4k TV, even if a 5 minute clip takes half a gig.

For further information...

This looks to me to be the perfect, fit in an otherwise excellent K-1 / K-3 environment. Pentax should license it, and change the direction the dial turns to increase the aperture. They've nothing close, and it would end the "Pentax video sucks" nonsense. Someone explain to me again why my Pentax's need video. This camera is currently being discounted to under 600 USD. And does terrific 4k video. You could pay as much for a nice video lens for a DSLR.

It might be the absolute best IQ you can buy for that money in a pocket camera. I may have to start combining Pentax and Panasonic and just start calling them "the P cameras". IMHO, it's a great compliment to your Pentax gear.

I'm even looking to get to an old school camera case for it.

Honestly, we should adopt it into the Pentax family. It's that good. Right now, the its the best price you're going to see for a camera with this quality of image and 4k video if you're looking for something you can carry in your shirt pocket.

Last edited by normhead; 03-06-2020 at 02:54 PM.
03-06-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad you found something that works for you! A couple of our friends have the Sony RX100, that while having a shorter zoom range (it's 24-70 methinks?) also has a 20 MP 1" sensor and a decently fast f/1.8-2.8 lens.

I suppose that for you it wouldn't be nearly as good because of the lack of telephoto... the newer versions are also pretty darn expensive*.

*EDIT: yyep, just checked. More than 1K for the MK7 of this camera is preposterous. The Lumix is certainly better value for money if "pocketable allrounder" is what you need.
03-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Glad you found something that works for you! A couple of our friends have the Sony RX100, that while having a shorter zoom range (it's 24-70 methinks?) also has a 20 MP 1" sensor and a decently fast f/1.8-2.8 lens.

I suppose that for you it wouldn't be nearly as good because of the lack of telephoto... the newer versions are also pretty darn expensive*.

*EDIT: yyep, just checked. More than 1K for the MK7 of this camera is preposterous. The Lumix is certainly better value for money if "pocketable allrounder" is what you need.
I also passed on the ZS200, better viewfinder, longer zoom, $300 more dollars. This camera does what I need. If I need a longer zoom I'll get out the K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM.

The 1.8 lens would be good, but every camera that has one has a big fat lens sticking out the front when turned off.

Last edited by normhead; 03-06-2020 at 10:39 AM.
03-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pentax should license it, and change the direction the dial turns to increase the aperture. They've nothing close, and it would end the "Pentax video sucks" nonsense.
This camera is currently being discounted to under 600 USD
If the Panasonic brand name can't do the trick, putting a Pentax label and making a minor change to firmware will be even less successful. Besides, Ricoh makes more margin on cameras it develops itself (like the GRIII and Theta), so there is even less incentive to invest in promoting a out-sourced product that is aimed at a market in which Ricoh and Pentax have never been a player, where the competition has had dozens of products for a long time. Panasonic has trimmed its lineup of point and shoot cameras in the last few years, but they still offer 15 of them, from $150-$1000. I agree with you that the ZS100 is an excellent value, but what you are asking for is a camera made for a market of one.

03-07-2020, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If the Panasonic brand name can't do the trick, putting a Pentax label and making a minor change to firmware will be even less successful. Besides, Ricoh makes more margin on cameras it develops itself (like the GRIII and Theta), so there is even less incentive to invest in promoting a out-sourced product that is aimed at a market in which Ricoh and Pentax have never been a player, where the competition has had dozens of products for a long time. Panasonic has trimmed its lineup of point and shoot cameras in the last few years, but they still offer 15 of them, from $150-$1000. I agree with you that the ZS100 is an excellent value, but what you are asking for is a camera made for a market of one.
Market of one? Dems fighting words. There are two happy users just in my house.

With it's IQ and 24-250 equivalent zoom, this could be "the" camera for a lot of users.

It's definitely the best IQ you're going to get from a camera that will fit in your pocket.

Panasonic has 194 cameras on the flickr list.... not one of which is the ZS100.
Apparently this camera doesn't really exist anywhere but at my house.

The way folks on the forum go on, it should be worth $600 just for the 4 k video
03-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that very detailed review Norm. Looking at US prices it's widely available under $400 so nearly an impulse buy for a DSLR shooter. Much appreciated. I'll be in a Best Buy tomorrow and may look at it.
03-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Market of one? Dems fighting words. There are two happy users just in my house.
But only one camera!

I am joking, I am joking. Honestly, if I had more disposable income I would get a good compact (probably a GR or a Fuji X100, although those are completely different) for "everyday carry" in a coat pocket. I am not overly fond of "superzoom" compacts but I have recommended stuff like yours to people who want a better travel camera than the phone, without the "hassle" of carrying a DSLR, lenses, the works.

---------- Post added 03-07-20 at 11:39 AM ----------

Panasonic has 194 cameras on the flickr list.... not one of which is the ZS100.
Apparently this camera doesn't really exist anywhere but at my house.
I think it's called TZ100 in other markets, maybe that name will bring up something?

03-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
But only one camera!

I am joking, I am joking. Honestly, if I had more disposable income I would get a good compact (probably a GR or a Fuji X100, although those are completely different) for "everyday carry" in a coat pocket. I am not overly fond of "superzoom" compacts but I have recommended stuff like yours to people who want a better travel camera than the phone, without the "hassle" of carrying a DSLR, lenses, the works.

---------- Post added 03-07-20 at 11:39 AM ----------

I think it's called TZ100 in other markets, maybe that name will bring up something?
Still no cigar. Yet one of the reviews I read claimed it was a very popular camera, and with a custom case available for it, you have to assume quite a few were made. I wouldn't mind a custom case like that for my Pentax cameras, and I definitely wouldn't mind if it were the old days and cameras actually came with a case that fit the camera and kit lens.
03-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have that Panasonic ZS-100, It was use on my 3 months trip in 2018 in Western Canada and USA A lot of hiking , and everything . My wife who prabably only handle is Iphone in her life, love the camera, use it and took great picture. I just completed a ski trip in France and this one was in my ski outfit all the time. I highly recommendthat camera. I could photo if needed
03-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

One or two APS-C cameras (fixed lens though) are even more compact than your Panasonic - the GR III and Fujifilm XF10 spring to mind. Bigger, better sensor, excellent lens on both too.

03-09-2020, 06:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
One or two APS-C cameras (fixed lens though) are even more compact than your Panasonic - the GR III and Fujifilm XF10 spring to mind. Bigger, better sensor, excellent lens on both too.
Mo'money
03-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Even my little waterproof shockproof cameras have at least a 3x zoom. If I have shot that requires APS-c or better, my K-1 is in the bag, and Tess's K-5 is in hers.

To me, a camera with a fixed, non-interchangeable lens is a waste of a good sensor, 95% of the time.

A lot of the time it comes down to, do you want the shot or don't you. This camera is like having a 16-85 and 70-200 on your camera, both at the same time.

Last edited by normhead; 03-09-2020 at 09:04 AM.
03-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Honestly, we should adopt it into the Pentax family. It's that good. Right now, the its the best price you're going to see for a camera with this quality of image and 4k video if you're looking for something you can carry in your shirt pocket.
I would be careful keeping it in your shirt pocket or you'll end up with sensor dust

Flickriver: Photoset 'Panasonic TZ100 / ZS100' by kh1234567890
Panasonic TZ100 / ZS100 | Flickr

Last edited by kh1234567890; 03-09-2020 at 01:15 PM.
03-09-2020, 04:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Mo'money
XF10 is relatively cheap - costs less than a 1 inch RX100, about half the price of a GRIII, only $100 more than the 1 inch Lumix at B&H. And lack of a zoom in such designs means less dust entry, better lens to sensor optimization, more compact body. So pros/cons.
03-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This camera is typically a third camera for me. On a 20 day trip, I took maybe 50 images with my Nikon Coolpix AW130. Those cameras get used at best 5 time a year. I'm not anticipating serious dust problems, just because of how little I'll use it. I would think that would be more critical for those who use it as their main camera. For most carrying, it will always be in a case.