Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #16

Lucky you! I think the prices are so crazy because that's the only camera with a mechanical shutter speed that fast. It has some sort of crazy carbon fiber shutter curtain.

03-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Lucky you! I think the prices are so crazy because that's the only camera with a mechanical shutter speed that fast. It has some sort of crazy carbon fiber shutter curtain.
Yes it does have a Titanium shutter. The newer model has an aluminum shutter.
03-07-2020, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you checked the seals. As always, I recommend Jon Goodman as a source for seal kits. His are the best and one can't beat the price. Jon is a member here...

Jon Goodman - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Steve
03-07-2020, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For many years a Nikon FM2n was my only 35mm SLR.
It never let me down. I didn't like the loud shutter.

Chris

03-08-2020, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am super jealous, but happy for you none-the-less.

Did you remember to check the mirror foam and light seals? Chances are they are toast despite the light use.

Steve
I’m not so sure about your “chances are” statement. According to Wikipedia, this camera is contemporaneous with my “Super Program” which l purchased new in 1983 and used for the next twelve years. It has sat around ever since then. has never received any “love” except my cleaning the outside a year or so ago after someone commented how ”filthy” it was becoming, but it worked fine the last time I ran a roll of film though it last year.

Last edited by reh321; 03-08-2020 at 02:57 AM.
03-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’m not so sure about your “chances are” statement. According to Wikipedia, this camera is contemporaneous with my “Super Program” which l purchased new in 1983 and used for the next twelve years. It has sat around ever since then. has never received any “love” except my cleaning the outside a year or so ago after someone commented how ”filthy” it was becoming, but it worked fine the last time I ran a roll of film though it last year.
My "chances are" comment was based on the condition of my Super Program's seals as well as both of my 1982-vintage Ricoh XR7 bodies when I took possession.* Of course, YMMV. As it turns out the FM2's seals did prove to be needing replacement. When was the last time you did the toothpick test on your Super Program?

Steve

* 2010 for the Super Program, 2008 for XR7 #1, and 2013 for XR7 #2...

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-08-2020 at 11:50 AM.
03-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Glad you checked the seals. As always, I recommend Jon Goodman as a source for seal kits. His are the best and one can't beat the price. Jon is a member here...

Jon Goodman - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Steve
I have an email address as Jon_goodman@yahoo.com
Do you know iof this is still a good email ?
Thanks.

03-08-2020, 10:37 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I have an email address as Jon_goodman@yahoo.com
Do you know iof this is still a good email ?
Thanks.
That is the one I have for him.

Steve
03-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Really envious but pleased for you.

Light seals on these old girls are nearly always dud whether its been used or not. The foam just decays even if they have been well stored. I have a Minolta XD7 that was one of the last made so about 1984 and the seals when it got to me were well past they sell by date though even though on a quick inspection they seem ok. They can often look ok with a low use camera until the moment they fail and you definitly dont want bits of greasy gunk in the shutter of any camera or fragments of gooey crumbly foam all over the focus screen or parts of the film transport either because once it starts to disintegrate it tends to get everywhere.

I mostly find mirror bumpers break up into crumbly fragments while door seals go gooey like tar.

Good luck with the Nikon, its a lovely camera for sure.

Last edited by Astro-Baby; 03-09-2020 at 12:16 AM.
03-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Really envious but pleased for you.

Light seals on these old girls are nearly always dud whether its been used or not. The foam just decays even if they have been well stored. I have a Minolta XD7 that was one of the last made so about 1984 and the seals when it got to me were well past they sell by date though even though on a quick inspection they seem ok. They can often look ok with a low use camera until the moment they fail and you definitly dont want bits of greasy gunk in the shutter of any camera or fragments of gooey crumbly foam all over the focus screen or parts of the film transport either because once it starts to disintegrate it tends to get everywhere.

I mostly find mirror bumpers break up into crumbly fragments while door seals go gooey like tar.

Good luck with the Nikon, its a lovely camera for sure.
Foam bumper is great , but the rear door seal is quickly getting ugly and sticky with actual use now. Jon contacted me back and Monday I will have a new seal kit coming for $11
03-14-2020, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Very nice classic camera. Congrats - good to hear this kind of thing still happens. I have an FE2 but I’d rather have your fully mechanical camera.
If you like the aperture priority capability of the FE2 as well as the ability to manually shoot when batteries die (among many other differences) then maybe you would prefer the FM3A?

03-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you like the aperture priority capability of the FE2 as well as the ability to manually shoot when batteries die (among many other differences) then maybe you would prefer the FM3A?
I keep an eye out for a good chrome FM3A but really I’m in sell mode right now.But if I know myself I’ll keep the FE2 and get an FM2 with the FM3A (like you pictured).

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2020 at 01:40 PM.