Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Crop Lenses on Sonickanony FF Bodies

I'm in a debate on another more general forum about crop vs FF, and I need a bit of info. Can crop lenses be fitted and used on Nikon and Sony FF camera bodies?

I know that Canon crop lenses cannot be fitted on their FF bodies - there is a physical stop to prevent it I believe. What is the story with Nikon and Sony?

Of course the Pentax K-1 can be fitted with a crop lens and the sensor then automatically goes into crop mode, although that can be overridden - best of all worlds :-)

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 03-10-2020 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Added smiley
03-10-2020, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NIkon DX lenses can be used on FX bodies. Sony APS-C lenses can be used on FF bodies. Both have the "crop mode" like the K-1.

Just a bit of info, the Canon APS-C lenses can be used on the new R series bodies, with adapter.
03-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sonickanony, Vecnos, the hits just keep on coming.
03-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for that info. Seems it is only Canon who are awkward, I guess they don't want cheapskates using APS-C lenses (EF-S series) with FF bodies rather than buying FF (EF series) lenses even if a APS-C lens would do (like the Pentax APS-C primes do). Of course they would say they don't want people spoiling their reputation by showing vignetted pictures from their cameras, a bit like HP printers won't run on cartridges over a certain age* because HP say the print would be less than perfect.

* Unless you do an easy hack

03-11-2020, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Seems it is only Canon who are awkward,
There is a flange on EFs lenses that can be removed so that the lens mounts on a Canon dslr.

Also,third party crop lenses will mount on EF cameras no problem apart from the vignette.