Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with my Canon EOS 80D shutting down. (Going Dead)

After nearly eight years being a member of PF., I am aware that the Primary Brand is Pentax. However, searching through this thread I have noticed other brands i,e., Sigma, Tamron, Nikon and Canon. So hopefully this post will not garner any objections. I seem to recall a similar problem with a Pentax Digital Camera. Thanks for reading.

Greetings,

Yesterday we finally caught a break with the inclement weather doldrums and I went out to take advantage of it. I brought my Canon EOS 80D body with the Canon EF-S 55~250mm, IS, STM Lens. Now just prior to leaving the house I checked the power level of my OEM Canon Li-ion battery and it revealed there was 85% power remaining. After taking only approximately 10 shots, the camera shut down on me. I could not turn it on or off, could not fire the shutter or anything else, I mean it was dead. Fortunately I brought two spare batteries with me, and replaced the Canon battery with a non Canon battery and everything proceeded to work flawlessly the rest of the day. Now when I arrived home, (before downloading images) I inserted the OEM Canon battery in the 80D and the camera powered up with no problem. I then checked the Battery Status in the Menu and it revealed a level of 78% remaining juice. I then went ahead and re-charged all three batteries to full power levels. I am still in a quandary as to why the camera/battery failure occurred.

Many thanks for any suggestions and helpful hints.

Regards, Tony

03-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony - I've moved this to the non-Pentax forum. It's absolutely fine for you to ask for help regarding your Canon camera here Sorry I can't be of any assistance personally, but hopefully one of our other members can...
03-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Tony - I've moved this to the non-Pentax forum. It's absolutely fine for you to ask for help regarding your Canon camera here Sorry I can't be of any assistance personally, but hopefully one of our other members can...

Totally understandable Mike and thanks for your assistance.

Cheers,

TT
03-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Totally understandable Mike and thanks for your assistance.

Cheers,

TT
In case you don't get an answer here, this forum is affiliated Canon Forums

Link from the bottom of this page!

03-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
In case you don't get an answer here, this forum is affiliated Canon Forums

Link from the bottom of this page!

Actually, I did post the issue in Canonforums also, however past experience has revealed that responses are extremely slow.

Thanks very much for your input.

Tony
03-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sound like a problem that could happen with any brand of camera. Did you try re-inserting the OEM right away or go directly to the 3rd party battery? I'm not an electronics expert, but there was some kind of fault that seemed to be reset after breaking the circuit. Hopefully it may never happen again. But I would monitor it, track your battery and if it does happen again with a different battery, it should rule the battery out, which is not comforting. Also make sure the contacts on the battery and in the battery compartment are clean. Look at the battery and bump it up to another to make sure it has not swollen or anything. Look at whatever hold the battery in place so the contacts stay "contacted" and make sure it has not lost strength. I wouldn't send it off yet, hopefully it was a fluke.
03-11-2020, 09:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It sound like a problem that could happen with any brand of camera. Did you try re-inserting the OEM right away or go directly to the 3rd party battery? I'm not an electronics expert, but there was some kind of fault that seemed to be reset after breaking the circuit. Hopefully it may never happen again. But I would monitor it, track your battery and if it does happen again with a different battery, it should rule the battery out, which is not comforting. Also make sure the contacts on the battery and in the battery compartment are clean. Look at the battery and bump it up to another to make sure it has not swollen or anything. Look at whatever hold the battery in place so the contacts stay "contacted" and make sure it has not lost strength. I wouldn't send it off yet, hopefully it was a fluke.

When I removed the Canon OEM Battery, I went immediately to the Generic battery and installed it right away. Then when I turned the power button to "On" it came on right away. Okay, so I just cleaned the contacts on all three batteries and inside the battery chamber. With the Canon OEM Battery installed, I fired off 38 images. I then checked the Battery Info., in the Menu and it revealed the 38 shots and also displayed remaining power level at 95% after using the built-in flash on every shot. 760 shots while using the built-in flash I should get approximately 900 shots per battery charge using a speedlight. Just an aside.

Well sir, thank you very much for your feedback and I will certainly keep a close eye on it in the future. I am interested to see what Canon USA will have to say regarding the shut down. Again, many thanks.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 10:09 PM ----------

One thought that just occurred to me is a sudden change in temperature. The batteries had been in the house which is kept at a constant temperature of 76 degrees F, to suddenly being outdoors

at 49 degrees temperature. Any thoughts on this possibility?

Thnx, Tony

03-12-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Batteries are like people, they don’t work so well in the cold, but 49F isn’t cold. Except in Florida.
03-12-2020, 01:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Tony, I don't think that you have to worry. A camera is a computer with useful add-on functionality. As you well know time and again a computer just hangs and you will have to do a hard reboot (force a shutdown and restart). I think that this is what happened when you switched battery and there is probably nothing wrong with your batteries.
03-12-2020, 04:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
When I removed the Canon OEM Battery, I went immediately to the Generic battery and installed it right away. Then when I turned the power button to "On" it came on right away. Okay, so I just cleaned the contacts on all three batteries and inside the battery chamber. With the Canon OEM Battery installed, I fired off 38 images. I then checked the Battery Info., in the Menu and it revealed the 38 shots and also displayed remaining power level at 95% after using the built-in flash on every shot. 760 shots while using the built-in flash I should get approximately 900 shots per battery charge using a speedlight. Just an aside.

Well sir, thank you very much for your feedback and I will certainly keep a close eye on it in the future. I am interested to see what Canon USA will have to say regarding the shut down. Again, many thanks.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-11-20 at 10:09 PM ----------

One thought that just occurred to me is a sudden change in temperature. The batteries had been in the house which is kept at a constant temperature of 76 degrees F, to suddenly being outdoors

at 49 degrees temperature. Any thoughts on this possibility?

Thnx, Tony
On the thought of battery status I just had a quick look at an image using EXIFGUI tool Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.16 and it has stats for battery, i.e. voltage, power source, don't know if this would help with your diagnosis?

Of course this is info from a Pentax Camera, I don't know if Canon would display the same in an EXIF file!
Attached Images

03-12-2020, 05:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If say you don't have enough data yet. Try monitoring how the Canon battery performs, most rechargeable batteries agree over time and lose capacity, often they report their capacity inaccurately. Recycling through use and recharge sometimes fixes the accuracy.

EOS 80D Battery Issue - Canon Community