Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raspberry Pi 12mp dslr

I just saw this today and it made me go hmmm...

What a way to resurrect an old Pentax that cannot be repaired, or any other old camera for that matter.

Here is the article..

Raspberry Pi unveils a high-quality interchangeable-lens camera | Engadget

Any thought?

04-30-2020, 07:24 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's not really a camera so much as it's a naked camera sensor circuit board (using a C-mount screw-on lens -- sold separately) that you attach to a Raspberry Pi (sold separately), which you attach to a display (sold separately), put in your own box (sold separately), and attach to a power supply (sold separately).

It's a very nice little bit of electronic/computer hobbyist kit but the tiny sensor (crop factor 5.6X!) isn't going win any image IQ awards.
04-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Similar sensor as the Pentax Q
04-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Non-Pentax Cameras forum

04-30-2020, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As @photoptimist points out, it's really just a camera sensor module with a mount. It needs a Pi SBC and power source to operate, so you'd need to fit those three things inside the target camera, along with an LCD screen for composition and review... then find a way to integrate the computer with the electro-mechanical controls and mechanisms of the camera. The "I'm Back" product is a similar idea, but hasn't been well received by members here...
05-01-2020, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's not really a camera so much as it's a naked camera sensor circuit board (using a C-mount screw-on lens -- sold separately) that you attach to a Raspberry Pi (sold separately), which you attach to a display (sold separately), put in your own box (sold separately), and attach to a power supply (sold separately).

It's a very nice little bit of electronic/computer hobbyist kit but the tiny sensor (crop factor 5.6X!) isn't going win any image IQ awards.
But hey, if you’re looking for something to spend the lockdown days on...!
05-01-2020, 02:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Similar sensor as the Pentax Q
I think you'd be better off with one of the Qs. Sensor quality may be similar, but the optics available and ergonomics of this don't seem awesome by any means.

05-01-2020, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
So this is just unbridled optimism then?

05-01-2020, 07:19 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So this is just unbridled optimism then?
LOL!

It might be a way to get better IQ out of a Canon lens! ;-)
05-01-2020, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can appreciate the idea of building your own "box". I had already thought about taking a point and shoot digital, and seeing if I could put the components in an old Kodak Pony.
05-01-2020, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I can appreciate the idea of building your own "box". I had already thought about taking a point and shoot digital, and seeing if I could put the components in an old Kodak Pony.
Sounds like a fun project!

With the c-mount removed, there's a chance you might be able to fit the 38mm x 38mm camera board into the film gate area of the Pony. If it doesn't fit, there's always the option of using a larger body like the Kodak Brownie series. Some of those old Kodak Brownie bodies are probably big enough for both the camera AND the Raspberry Computer and maybe even the display!

For extra credit you might also horse around with adding a strong positive supplementary lens between the main lens of the old camera and the sensor. With a bit of luck and care, that supplementary lens can de-crop the image somewhat, shift the focal plane closer to the lens and provide more room at the back of the camera for a display.

Too much fun!
05-01-2020, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you'd be better off with one of the Qs. Sensor quality may be similar, but the optics available and ergonomics of this don't seem awesome by any means.
I don't think the point is to beat the Q in image quality, so much as it is a platform to build your own camera with whatever requirements, software, hardware, etc that you want. You could go without a display and build a rangefinder, we have certainly had a number of posts/posters who wanted an ultra-simple ILC. You could embed the module in some kind of unconventional place like a car dashboard or a hole in the wall, or I don't know, a hollowed out tree or a baseball bat. It's $50, it's not quite disposable, but almost. Plenty of TV shows like Mythbusters broke a lot of cameras, and maybe they could take something like this, put it in unique enclosures, and get some otherwise unobtainable shots. The sensor doesn't have to be in the same physical location as the Pi that drives it, you could connect the two with a cable. You could cut a hole in the back of your oven, cover it with some kind of high-temp glass, embed the camera behind that, and rig up a way to watch what you're baking remotely, or support your own YouTube cooking channel.

The whole idea is supplying components to build and invent things that nobody ever has before. If you want a refined, integrated body with super high IQ you go buy an off-the-shelf ILC.
05-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How about that whole series of Pentax film cameras with the plastic gears that failed. You might be able to gut the camera and actually make them usable. 😉😄
11-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #14

And speaking of the Q... would there be any way to get an API for the Q lenses? That way they would be usable with this and future Raspberry sensors O: We could make our own Q's!
11-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #15

Very interesting.
It still need a proper housing with LCD screen.