Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Lol,well ...CaNik are in the game and their speed of development s outstripping the Sony rate,so who s late?
Clearly Canon and Nikon are playing catch up to Sony. Sony doesn't have to release 3 new full frame cameras a year because they have a ton on the market, hitting about every price point you can imagine. Canon and Nikon right now are trying to turn out cameras that hit similar target points as Sony -- and fill out lens line ups. Of course they are turning things out faster at this point. Sony's holes are smaller.

I think the real questions have to do with how many folks have money to spend on new camera gear before next spring (my guess is few, but maybe the economy will bounce back really quickly) and if Canon and Nikon are stealing customers from Sony and Fuji or only from themselves. If Nikon is selling the same number of Z mount plus F mount cameras now as they used to sell F mount cameras alone then I don't know that that could be considered a win.

06-28-2020, 12:38 AM - 3 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Y’know, of all the big brands there are no bad cameras out there if you ignore the bargain basement models. However, that doesn’t play well to the “XXX is CRUSHING the market” crowd. Kit yourself out with any of the top-flight models and a useful set of their lenses and you are good for years of making fine images. Just remember if you buy gear to maintain personal prestige you’re gonna have to buy another camera or complete outfit again in a year. And again in another year to 18 months at most. And again...
06-29-2020, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are no bad cameras. I see this Z and RF mount a possibility for those brands to sell their own system twise for the people who love it. And steer perhaps new customers to the brand. Perhaps some who went to Sony will come back if it get good enough. Higher the demand get then custoers are more picky. Many seem to go towards Sony because of their very good functionality and quality. This Z5 seems more pointed towerds some who love photos and occasionally do video. Good thing is that IS in camera. It becomes a must now a days. Dunno about it if anyone is actually late anymore. This thing in the air seems to have cooled down gear buying hype going on lately. That and the fact that sales in general is falling may get things even with everyone. There are more options than ever.
06-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Clearly Canon and Nikon are playing catch up to Sony.
Canon are not playing catch up,they were when the R system was released in late 2018 but they are now setting the highest of standards. Use google translate.

Présentation de la vidéo*8K ? Canon*EOS*R5 - Canon France

07-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I could will have to settle for a Nikon one.
Nikoshita have leaked the specs but no price yet,itll have to compete with RP.

24mp...IBIS(5axis)...4K video...dual slots...splash and dust resistant...4.5fps...iso 100-51200...3.69evf...new battery...3.2inch lcd.....new kit lens 24-50.
07-18-2020, 12:31 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I am putting the Z5 on my Christmas shopping list, along with one of these.

07-18-2020, 02:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

along with one of these.
From what Ive seen of the Z lenses,the prices are up there.

However, adapting can be more reasonable.

Along with the Z/F adapter,there are third parties too.Fringer does a EF to Z AF adapter,lots and lots of quite good EF/s glass at reasonable prices.

07-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

I am putting the Z5 on my Christmas shopping list, along with one of these.
It does look attractive for a nice side camera. Just waiting to see that price.

OTOH, waiting for the Z6/Z7 refresh at the end of the year might also be tempting. The fact that Nikon are designing a portrait grip for it will go a long ways I think. Plus dual card slots and dual processors. The latter of which probably means a faster AF system. It will be interesting to see if they reuse the same EVF or not.

Nikon have great DSLRs and now slowly maturing a solid MILC system. It looks really pleasing.
07-18-2020, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
slowly maturing a solid MILC system. It looks really pleasing
Both Nikon and Canon are progressing around the same rate, 4 bodies each(after Z5 comes) and a reasonably quick(compared to $ony) lens development.By end of 2021 Z and RF will probably have claimed back a % of the Dslr shooters who jumped to $ony.Of course in these times all will be struggling,Cvirus isnt going away quickly.Its probably the worst time to be releasing new stuff.

---------- Post added 07-19-20 at 12:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
waiting to see that price.
Its Nikons answer to the RP which is 899 body or 999 with kit lens,so Z5 cant be too much higher I wouldnt think.
07-21-2020, 02:20 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Release price U$ 1399

Well,its about 300 over what i thought it should be at launch.Canon are refurbishing RPs @ 750 body only.

Christmas sales at 999/1099 and thats what its worth.

07-21-2020, 04:36 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

At these prices aps-c is going to have a tough sale of the more premium bodies.
07-21-2020, 06:44 AM   #27
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

Well,its about 300 over what i thought it should be at launch.Canon are refurbishing RPs @ 750 body only.

Christmas sales at 999/1099 and thats what its worth.

Nikon Z5 Mirrorless Camera | First Look - YouTube
My thoughts exactly.

And I do wonder what bundles we'll see come late November? I wouldn't mind 1400 dollars if it came with the FTZ and the MB-N10. Otherwise that 1k price is where I think the body needs to be.

The 4.5 fps burst is not inspiring. But it's definitely not an action-oriented body.

Still, it is coming with 2 SD slots, IBIS, same EVF as Z 6/7, accepts MB-N10 grip. Just needs a ~400 dollar cut.
07-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
At these prices aps-c is going to have a tough sale of the more premium bodies.
They are getting awfully close to APS-C pricing. The one thing that makes FF pricier overall are the lenses. Those Z lenses do cost a bit. The cheapest Nikkor prime starts at about $397 & the cheapest Nikkor zoom starts at about $800.

Then again some of the DA* lenses can get rather pricey too. Hahaha!
07-21-2020, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
They are getting awfully close to APS-C pricing. The one thing that makes FF pricier overall are the lenses. Those Z lenses do cost a bit. The cheapest Nikkor prime starts at about $397 & the cheapest Nikkor zoom starts at about $800.

Then again some of the DA* lenses can get rather pricey too. Hahaha!
But the Z series compete with the best optically. Go look at the Z 50 f/1.8 benches. It is just as sharp as the Sigma 50 f/1.4 ART even with the sigma stopped down to f/1.8, but its smaller and lighter than the f/1.4 DSLR lens.

So you do pay a bit more, but you're also getting more too.

The era of cheap new cameras and lenses is pretty much over. Even the budgetier stuff like Tamron is still competitive optically but costs a bit.

That said, if you're willing to spend a grand or more on a body, you should be willing to do the same on your lenses imo.
07-22-2020, 03:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now that the Z5 has landed, do we start a new thread or continue with this one? Decisions, decisions. In the meantime, read all about it here.

Nikon Unveils the Z5, Its Entry-Level Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera

Specs are looking great but the price is not. At around USD1400, I am a little disappointed. I was hoping for something closer to USD1000, i.e. Canon EOS RP money. Perhaps the price will come down to say USD1200 once the hype subsides.