Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panasonic is still ALIVE,even though Olympus is wounded.G100/110 arrives.

M43 is great as a lightweight kit,good for travel and candid stuff.

Its not MF,FF or crop so comes with the limitations of the small sensor.

Bang 4 Buck though,as its capable of creating excellent moving pictures and OK stills.

The Oly news was known late last year and wasn't a surprise,good luck to the brand I love my Pen F.

A downer one day is followed by good news the next.

The G100/110 is a new line,although some may think it follows the G90.

Some great new features that some may like.

06-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

"Its not MF,FF or crop so comes with the limitations of the small sensor." And that is the prime reason I would not be interested in it...also with the bad news regarding Olympus.....do you think the M43 is on the way out ?

As you also say:

"Bang 4 Buck though,as its capable of creating excellent moving pictures and OK stills."

I'm a still photographer and I like my full frame K1 or my ASP-C K5 or very small, but comes with a relatively large ASP-C sensor and albeit fixed, but excellent 28mm F 2.8 lens GR ll....and if we take any moving pictures....it is invariably with my wife's Apple phone.

I know this may be heresy, but the Apple...even though it is just a cell phone.... is small, quick to set up and takes really good moving pictures...much to my surprise.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-26-2020 at 02:32 PM.
06-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe oly is selling their camera division to JIC, they might continue developing the camera lines, or use the tech and patents for other projects.

I used oly EM1 for about 2.5 years, and I personally enjoyed my time with the system a lot. They have a lot of excellent glass, and systems are truly small. I carried my entire kit in a small sling bag. K-1 and ff glass forced me to buy my GRIII for travel photos. Worked out for the best though, GRIII is a stunner.

Last edited by awscreo; 06-26-2020 at 02:44 PM.
06-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
and takes really good moving pictures...much to my surprise.
And how is it @ 1000mm?

---------- Post added 06-27-20 at 08:53 AM ----------

do you think the M43 is on the way out ?
Good question,Panasonic stated they were fully committed to M43 when they introduced FF.

Olympus also stated that they were not selling the camera division.We know someone lied.

Time will tell,of course with lack of confidence in what future OLY has,its logical for some of their users could switch to Panasonic when they have the lenses they like and they fit the mount.Plenty of M43 users have both brands.

Panasonic are probably happy right now with their major rival selling out.

---------- Post added 06-27-20 at 09:01 AM ----------

I'm a still photographer and I like my full frame K1 or my ASP-C K5
Thats great,both those bodies do stills very well.

However, in M43 its widely considered that Olympus for stills and Panasonic for moving pictures.

This particular model is essentially a light,small video camera that can shoot stills.If the buyers like the stills thats fine,if they dont they can get an Olympus(there should be a few going cheeeep soon!).

---------- Post added 06-27-20 at 09:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I carried my entire kit in a small sling bag.
Thats the appeal of M43,plenty who use it have a bigger sensored kit as well.

Last edited by surfar; 06-26-2020 at 03:03 PM.
06-26-2020, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Everyone has their own personal gear-weight versus image quality trade-offs.

For me, the weight of the K-1 and 5-7 lenses that I usually carry on hikes and trips is forgotten within a few days of my return but the quality of the FF images is remembered and appreciated forever.
06-26-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
the quality of the FF images is remembered and appreciated forever.
Of course,and the quality of the 4K moving pictures is always in your imagination!
06-26-2020, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Of course,and the quality of the 4K moving pictures is always in your imagination!
People with their phones and cameras often forget to just be in the moment and look at things. I fI see something interesting, if I do not have a camera with me, I just try to take in the view. Just like the old George Carlin bit making fun of 1 hour developing. "How about using your memory instead..."

06-26-2020, 07:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Originally posted by lesmore49 and takes really good moving pictures...much to my surprise. And how is it @ 1000mm?
I dunno how good the Apple phone is at 1000mm. Probably not so hot. But the only thing we use video for is taking family movies and movies of our 2 1/2 year old grandson as he runs around.

For those long distance shots...and remember I'm a still photographer...I always use my K5 and Sigma 150-500mm. At 500mm with the K5 body (ASP-C) I understand the 35mm equivalent of this 500 mm lens is around 750mm. I can tell you the photos with this combo are excellent. I'm very happy and I can crop and then enlarge the photos to 8 X 10....which is my favourite size for display .
06-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K5 and Sigma 150-500mm.
yes, would do OK.

Hows the truck you need to move it in?
06-26-2020, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

yes, would do OK.

Hows the truck you need to move it in?
We have a large Chevy SUV, with a payload rating of over 1600 lbs. So no issues there.

When I carry this K5-Bigma combo...I don't notice it too much, but I'm a fairly big guy.

Also the key to carrying it, is...that I do bicep curls with it, when walking from our SUV to the photo site. Keeps me in tip top condition..
06-26-2020, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well,thats great.

I'll walk a bit closer with PenF and 75-300.(600mmFF) or not get as close when I use the built in 2x TC.(1200mm).

I have a 50-500 as well as 2x 150-600s...2kgs,2kgs,3.25 kgs...they are a pain to use,big and cumbersome,HEAVY.They adapt to M43 no problems as well.Monopod mainly.

For half the weight though of the K5/Bigma and 4X the reach my bridge camera does a good job.
06-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Well,thats great.

I'll walk a bit closer with PenF and 75-300.(600mmFF) or not get as close when I use the built in 2x TC.(1200mm).

I have a 50-500 as well as 2x 150-600s...2kgs,2kgs,3.25 kgs...they are a pain to use,big and cumbersome,HEAVY.They adapt to M43 no problems as well.Monopod mainly.

For half the weight though of the K5/Bigma and 4X the reach my bridge camera does a good job.
I am a fan of small cameras.

About a year and a bit ago, I bought a NOS Ricoh GR ll and although it doesn't have interchangeable lens ability, I'm pleased with the fast, very sharp 28mm F 2.8 lens. I got it to take over form my Canon G12, primarily because the Ricoh, which is around the same size has a ASP-C sensor, bigger of course than the G12's. I did look at the small Fuji X10.....I think it was, but decided on the GR ll.

Back in '81 or so, I bought a used 1951 Leica 11f rangefinder with an even older collapsible F 3.5, Leitz Elmar 50 mm lens. Still have it , still works well, although it ain't too purty anymore.....leatherette peeling, dent in the top. It's been through the mill, but the images it produces are still top notch and the focusing is quick and accurate...even for me and my bifocals.

I do like small , quality cameras with either 'normal' 50mm or moderate wide angles such as 35 or 28mm. I can see myself when I get into my 80's (hopefully and healthily ) that I will be using a small camera most of the time.
06-26-2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Buying new gear or getting into a new brand, you should find out for yourself whether the current offering will keep you happy with your investment for a long enough time. The gear is often great, but the brand may fade. Olympus glass will make you happy for a long time, the new lenses are very nice. I bought the last new Leica R lens and did not care when R mount was discontinued. I will buy the next DA* lenses not asking about where Pentax will be 8n 5 years. Legacy helps, but current sales rule. The photo market has no bright future, but some will survive and you never know who. Pentax is so slow and conservative with development, they probably stick around for a little longer.
06-27-2020, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO an interesting product line with a clear target group - that's simply not the high IQ stills target group but VLoggers demanding ...

- Clean video output
- FullHD 60p
- Selfie flip screen
- Dedicated movie button
- Interchangeable lenses

There's simply no competing Pentax camera. To me competitors are cameras from Canon, Sony and maybe Fujifilm. I think it could be of interest for in Vlogging interested Pentaxians to discuss the competing cameras. Which of these cameras (by example a Canon m6II) would you suggest is better or worse and why? ... Of course concerning the described purpose (target group)!

Thanks for posting this!

P.s. I think the discussion about the general future of m43 is nearly irrelevant here.
06-27-2020, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You do know that some people use still cameras for still photos and dedicated camcorders for video?

(I have never been happy with the ergonomics of typical still photo cameras for video -- they're OK for the occasional clip, but not so great for typical usage -- particularly not with the 1000 mm lens you mentioned).