Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, shoot it to me straight....

I jumped on the B&H D610 deal. I’ve never had a full frame DSLR. Rented a K-1 once, but didn’t get a chance to really try it out, so I don’t consider that a decent test. My daughter has an A7III and I took that out exactly once, which little to show for it. So I’m hoping something enlightening will happen with the D610 but expect my continued mediocrity...

So, any fans of the 610? Are my hopes grandiose? I do mostly landscapes and am limited on glass of course. I do have a 67-F adapter and look forward to trying the 55/4 and 200/4 on it. Otherwise, I’ll only have the Nikkor 50 1.8D and 50 1.8G to play with.

Thanks
Z

07-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you'll find the 610 is great with the 50 1.8G. I have the lens but a D500 and I think it's a nice combination. I have heard great things about the 610.
07-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that 610 is a fabulous camera in terms of picture quality. In general their lenses are a bit pricey compared to Pentax lenses but they got some really snappy lenses in their line up. I think it kinda comes down to personal preferences if you know what I mean.

Just curious - what was about A7II that you were not impressed with?
07-15-2020, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Congrats on a great camera! That's a great deal on it. Makes other full frame offerings look very expensive.

You do know that you will need some lenses to go with your D610, don't you. That rabbit hole goes very, very deep. Some those who venture into it never come back...

If you go new, B&H lists 247 lenses in F mount full frame. If you go used, you can choose from sixty years worth of F mount glass production. I can't recommend any particular one, since I have never owned any of Nikon's or Nikkor's finest.

To start off with, may I suggest a 24mm? The conventional wisdom is to get a 28mm, but one might as well go the extra mile four millimeters.

07-15-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
So, any fans of the 610? Are my hopes grandiose? I do mostly landscapes and am limited on glass of course. I do have a 67-F adapter and look forward to trying the 55/4 and 200/4 on it. Otherwise, I’ll only have the Nikkor 50 1.8D and 50 1.8G to play with.
While I don't have the D610 if do find the 50 1.8G a nice lens for the D800, for what you pay for it and its size its a nice go everywhere lens.

Any of the the ƒ1.8 G lens are very nice for landscape I like the 28 1.8, 50 1.8 and the 80 1.8

The 21 1.8 would be my next if i had not found a Carl Zeiss Distagon 21 at a giveaway price.

I also like the sigma arts like the 24 1.4 and the 35 1.4 other good choices for landscape
07-16-2020, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I think that 610 is a fabulous camera in terms of picture quality. In general their lenses are a bit pricey compared to Pentax lenses but they got some really snappy lenses in their line up. I think it kinda comes down to personal preferences if you know what I mean.

Just curious - what was about A7II that you were not impressed with?
I bought the A7III for my daughter who was going to minor in Photography at SCAD (instead went Digital Film and Performing Arts). So I did not have access to it since she was at school. I took it once to a local park with the stock 24-70 lens. I think it takes great pictures, but I really do not like the menu/controls and perhaps more basically I prefer the DSLR format with a viewfinder rather than composing everything via rear screen. Even if I got past all this, they are still going for $1600 body only and I bought the 610 for $900 new with a lens, grip and WiFi adapter. As much as I hate to make it about price, that just seemed like a smoking deal to get into FF. Because as we all know the $$$ is in the glass. Less spent on a body, more available on lenses.
07-16-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
I bought the A7III for my daughter who was going to minor in Photography at SCAD (instead went Digital Film and Performing Arts). So I did not have access to it since she was at school. I took it once to a local park with the stock 24-70 lens. I think it takes great pictures, but I really do not like the menu/controls and perhaps more basically I prefer the DSLR format with a viewfinder rather than composing everything via rear screen. Even if I got past all this, they are still going for $1600 body only and I bought the 610 for $900 new with a lens, grip and WiFi adapter. As much as I hate to make it about price, that just seemed like a smoking deal to get into FF. Because as we all know the $$$ is in the glass. Less spent on a body, more available on lenses.
Ahhhhh I see.

While I don't have the extensive experience shooting with A7II, the difficulty with menu has been mentioned more than few times by many, for sure. I have one friend, who takes great pictures with it, who says that he feels like he is only able to use 10% what camera has to offer because the menu itself is so convoluted.

K-1 as well has many features as well, some of it useful, some I never use, and others I did not know they existed. K-1's menu in my view is designed so that users who have shot Pentax DSLR would have no problem jumping into it, right out of the box. In that regards we the Pentax users may not be the most reliable people to tell you how well menu has been organized. There is a certain degree of this in every camera these days, and intuitiveness of the menu itself is a big topic for manufacturers. If you go to the other extreme end, Leica for example, has almost overly simplified menu set up. M10 for example has undergone a complete revamp of that aspect, and compared to M240 it is really an exhilarating experience.

For what it's worth. you have committed yourself to 610, which I think is a fabulous camera, and Nikon interface from what I know is something that I am sure you can get used to once you spend some time with it.

Good luck!

07-16-2020, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you go to the other extreme end, Leica for example, has almost overly simplified menu set up. M10 for example has undergone a complete revamp of that aspect, and compared to M240 it is really an exhilarating experience.
M10 is my favorite digital, as I've been using Leica M cameras since 1968, all my old Leica lenses work fine on the M10, and using it feels the same as my old Leicas (which is a good thing). Today Leica announced the M10R - which is basically the same camera with a 41 MP sensor, better dynamic range, etc. I'll stick with the M10.
07-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
M10 is my favorite digital, as I've been using Leica M cameras since 1968, all my old Leica lenses work fine on the M10, and using it feels the same as my old Leicas (which is a good thing). Today Leica announced the M10R - which is basically the same camera with a 41 MP sensor, better dynamic range, etc. I'll stick with the M10.
Yeah there is certainly a buzz about M10R within the Leica forum for sure. I am in the same boat as you - I don't think it s a worthwhile upgrade for me either. I think M10 is the best digital Leica RF by a long shot (as it should be), and I love it. But I gotta admit, I have been thinking about M10D though for a while. It never ends. It's a disease.
07-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But I gotta admit, I have been thinking about M10D though for a while. It never ends. It's a disease.
I would have preferred the M10D - but once I had the M10 couldn't justify (or afford) it. I hardly use the rear LCD anyway.