Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rough and ready comparison between Pentax, Nikon and Fuji image processing engines.

Having a bit of time to spare, I thought it would be fun to do a bit of a comparison between my various digital systems. I was already doing a still life project on my KP and decided to take the same shot on my Fuji X-T1 and Nikon Df, just for the hell of it and to see what id any difference there was between the image processing capabilities of the various systems.The shots were all RAW files and then processed in camera to get them as best I could to look as similar as possible and to my taste. I always take still lifes this way using my K3 camera, as I find the Pentax system more versatile than either the Nikon or Fuji, but she is having her sensor cleaned at present so the KP had to fill in. I used a hand held two flash set up with manual exposure so there will be slight variations in lighting for this test, but the lenses were as near as dammit the same as I could get for FOV purposes and there was no change in the camera positioning between shots.

First the KP and K 28mm f3.5 lens @ f11:-

Next the Df and Voigtlander 40mm f2 SL

And finally the X-T1 and XF 27mm f2,8

The Df, as expected, clearly exhibits more dynamic range. Which for many purposes is to be preferred, but for this style of shot and for my taste, less DR is preferable as I want to be able to suppress the shadows. There is not much difference between the Pentax and Fuji on the colour shots, but the Pentax offers more versatility when processing the image. I think the Fuji B&W one is nicest of the 3 B&W images though. In terms of image capture, for this style of shooting, the Pentax is easiest to use. The tilting screen over the Df, and much better live view than either the Nikon and Fuji make the Pentax the winner in this regard

Last edited by richard0170; 07-25-2020 at 07:31 AM.
07-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi richard0170,

I've been watching the B/W conversions, and since they are on the same screen
it seems to me that the Pentax has a Cyan or Blue dominant over the others, do you know?
07-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I gave the Pentax a very slight blue tone. The "natural" B&W tone of my Pentax's looks a bit brown on my screen, and I prefer the cooler tone. Both Nikon and Fuji do B&W better than Pentax in my opinion, with Fuji being my favourite for B&W. I generally prefer Pentax and Nikon colours though, especially if I want vivid greens and blues. However, it is nice to have the Fuji colour pallet available. I often like the softer tones of their Astia profile.
11-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

I like them 1. Pentax, 2 Fuji, 3 Nikon

11-09-2020, 02:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gilzuma Quote
I like them 1. Pentax, 2 Fuji, 3 Nikon
I agree, but the Nikon image is "spoilt" by too much dynamic range.