Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony A7sIII

Probably not of much interest to this forum since we don't have many video-centric members, but the low-light stills photography capabilities are pretty impressive. Back when I was shooting music venues I would have loved this camera.

07-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It’s definitely packing a mighty amount of specs. Bet it’s stellar at what it’s designed for.
07-28-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
It’s definitely packing a mighty amount of specs. Bet it’s stellar at what it’s designed for.
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
when I was shooting music venues I would have loved this camera.
Just dont take it outside and shoot video,2 testers report overheating at the 23 minute mark.
07-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Just dont take it outside and shoot video,2 testers report overheating at the 23 minute mark.
Post the video links.

07-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Post the video links.
Dan has posted one by Dan the reviewer in the R5 thread.Look at that one there.

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 12:34 PM ----------

pretty impressive.
Quad card slots!....almost 10 million EVF...iso near half a million! AND at last a Menu! which even has a workable touch screen.

It will please plenty of $ony people who can use its features.Cinema5D have put together some nice stuff.

Last edited by surfar; 07-28-2020 at 06:36 PM.
07-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dan has posted one by Dan the reviewer in the R5 thread.Look at that one there.

Sony a7s III First Look: Most Compelling Video-Centric Hybrid Since GH5 - But We May Have a Problem - YouTube

---------- Post added 07-29-20 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quad card slots!....almost 10 million EVF...iso near half a million! AND at last a Menu! which even has a workable touch screen.

It will please plenty of $ony people who can use its features.Cinema5D have put together some nice stuff.
Yeah. Its not a camera that I need or will buy, but the technology is interesting and it provides a glimpse of what to expect on future mirrorless cameras. I'm a little disappointed that we have not seen the quad-bayer sensor in a camera yet.

I have jumped through a couple of reviews (Fro-knows, Tony N, & Gerald Undone) and none of them had over-heating issues while filming outside in 90+ degrees. Being a workhorse 4K camera it needs to be able to run all day and under all conditions or it just sits in a bag.
07-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Fro-knows, Tony N, & Gerald Undone)
Ive seen those 3 and half dozen more,all of which didnt report OH.Now, do you think these early reviewers are completely honest?Some may overlook some things for cliks or purchases from affiliate links.

Proof of the pudding is what happens under what conditions when the buyers get them,end of Sept i believe.

Correct me if i'm wrong,but hasnt $ony said before that their cameras dont overheat?...And this is true if you dont turn them on!

07-28-2020, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ive seen those 3 and half dozen more,all of which didnt report OH.Now, do you think these early reviewers are completely honest?
I think they are honest in that they honestly don't care about accuracy.
07-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ive seen those 3 and half dozen more,all of which didnt report OH.Now, do you think these early reviewers are completely honest?Some may overlook some things for cliks or purchases from affiliate links.

Proof of the pudding is what happens under what conditions when the buyers get them,end of Sept i believe.

Correct me if i'm wrong,but hasnt $ony said before that their cameras dont overheat?...And this is true if you dont turn them on!
Gerald Undone has been a long time Blackmagic/Panasonic/Canon guy so I don't see him being dishonest about his Sony Review. Same with the Guys at DPR. Jordan has been a big fan of the Panasonic S1-H and GH-5. They were all critical of the R-5 for over heating.... Why didn't they overlook that for clicks and purchases? They all roasted the early Sony cameras for overheating. Those affiliate links don't pay squat.

R-5 is still the better all around camera with excellent stills performance. I think the R-5 will be a great studio stills camera and natural light portrait camera.

---------- Post added 07-28-20 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I think they are honest in that they honestly don't care about accuracy.
LOL and you think this because why? Care to share some examples of their inaccuracy?
07-29-2020, 12:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

dishonest
completely honest?
i didnt say anyone was dis honest,the reviewers are entertainers.No more,no less.

Those affiliate links don't pay squat.
They pay squat enough,Cameraville spilled the beans.
07-29-2020, 03:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

i didnt say anyone was dis honest,the reviewers are entertainers.No more,no less.
And mostly unskilled (for reviewing and comparing things).

You see fools comparing IBIS efficiency with random usage of software stabilization (which you can do in post for any camera lacking IBIS) mixed in or not.

You see fools comparing overheating with different codecs, bitrates etc, sometimes even different FPS.

Caveat: The Sony A7SIII can not use the 50% space saving efficient H.265 with ALL-I at all and generally seems to be limited to about 1/4 to 1/3 of the comparable bitrates of the new Canons. x3 to x4 the compression/detail data loss going on.

You see fools making comparative claims between cameras when not really shot side-by-side on the same rig.
07-29-2020, 05:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
And mostly unskilled (for reviewing and comparing things).
Anyone can be a "reviewer",competency is the key and thats highly subjective.

There is over 20 million YT channels,probably hundreds or more doing photography and its who you enjoy watching(imo).

All the gear is exceptionally good,just match the features to an individuals requirements.

This new $ony will be great for whoever buys it,gradually they are improving on most of the complaints of past users.Another generation and capability will be astounding.However long that takes.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You see fools comparing overheating
$ony have led this class,maybe Canon have surpassed them?lol.In reality plenty of reviewers have run the things till shut down instead of turning off when the warning comes.Consequently the bodies take quite a while to cool.If the warnings are heeded,usability is increased.Condemning pre release gear is ludicrous.
07-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

07-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The new MENU

....its about time,only 7 years since they were first complained about.

---------- Post added 07-30-20 at 07:41 AM ----------

---------- Post added 07-30-20 at 07:45 AM ----------

Now I See Part 2: Filmed with the Sony A7S III - YouTube
07-29-2020, 03:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Another run through of the tech stuff.