Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2020, 03:28 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Dead" Kodak Instamatic 124: This has to stop!

Hello,

We all have limits. Or should have.
Here is further evidence of:
1- I'm not normal
2- I do this just for fun

Ok, so a distant relative gave me this instead of throwing it away. Which I was close to do as well. But then I started looking at it. You can still get boxed "as new" samples on ebay for $15. But what fun would that be?
So, my plan is to "custom paint it" for display only using automotive paint. (Read point #1 above)

Kodak Instamatic 124
This was a cheap point and shoot for it's day. Used 126 film. According to my quick research it was made from 1968 to 1971.

First impression is that it is un-salvageable

Frozen solid. Nothing moves.

Conversation with myself: "What the heck are you doing?"

"Really dude? you are nuts..."

Let's see where this goes.

Thanks,
Ismael

08-01-2020, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

if the shutter spring is intact you should be able to clean this lil booger up and start firing!

interested in the coming paint job
08-01-2020, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote

"Really dude? you are nuts..."

Thanks,
Ismael
I think you may be possessed by the spirit of a camera repair guy, you are definitely obsessed. I can't wait to see this one, if anyone can you're the guy. I had one (I don't remember the model) for a while when I was a kid. It was my brothers and he threw it away. I still have a photo or two from it somewhere.
08-01-2020, 05:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should be fun! I remember getting an Instamatic when they came out. I'd been using a 127 Brownie Holiday Flash, so the Instamatic seemed high tech, with modern styling and flash cubes! The 127 Brownie then went into a home-made plexiglass underwater housing that I used around the Michigan lakes - until I drifted down a drop-off in Torch Lake and it imploded at about 100 ft. Then my dad gave me a 35mm Stereo Realist and my 35mm days started in 3-D. I used the Realist into college, then got an H1a.

08-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #5

I remember taking my mother's 126 on field trips in the mid to late 60's. It was good in full light, but not so much in heavy shade and low-light.
Can't wait to see the end product!

Kirk B.
08-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

Found the date code YIOI which translates into 0868. Now you would immediately think of August 1968, which is probably right. However, for decades, Kodak used a weird 13 month calendar for date codes, where each month is exactly 4 weeks (28 days) long. This is known as the Cotsworth calendar and for some reason George Eastman adopted it for datecoding Kodak cameras and was used for decades. In this calendar, the eighth "month" of 1968 was from July 14 to August 9. But regardless, it was built in late summer of 1968 (2 years ahead of me ).

Thanks,
08-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was my first camera that I took on a trip to Europe in 1972, shooting Kodachrome 64 in 126. (Probably the worst choice of film for that type of camera)

Hope you get it working again, good luck in your repair project!

Phil.

08-02-2020, 06:34 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

You didn't think for a minute I was going to just leave it for dead like that without CPR... did you?

Major cleanup operation including fighting the rust with all I had, including a wire wheel and a Dremel with an attitude. This was done during the past week or so. This thread is now caught up to today.

Far from completely clean but moving along.

The best part? Yes dear,
IT IS WORKING!

The cube flash linkage was removed for the video so holding it would not block the view, but it is also working properly.

Thanks,
08-02-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Your work in bringing old gear back to life is inspiring, and this example is another case in point

Aside from the plastic casing - which, in any case, looks to be quite substantial - it's amazing how much of the workings are metal inside this little Kodak. Demonstrative of the era, I guess - but impressive nonetheless...
08-02-2020, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Bloody hell....I thought I was mad starting work on a Yashica auto electro ( eBay price for a runner £35 ).

Mind you thats an eBay runner which probably means it doesnt work at all and the cat was sick in it

Thats really bonkers for an Instamatic but it does look fun, I probably need help as well.
08-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Blurring the line between cameras and scale modeling and automotive hobbies.

A Dremel with a wire wheel, automotive lacquer primer, glazing spot putty and lots of sanding.

Thanks,
08-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool Ishmael !!!

My mom bought a 124 new and used it all the time. I used it for years as a kid myself. I think my sister has two large family photo albums filled with pics from that camera. It would not die, and was still working when it was sold in a garage sale in the early '80s.
08-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

I still can't believe I'm doing this
The "leatherette like" cover, which is most likely some sort of vinyl, can not be removed as it started to crack and disintegrate. So I'll carefully mask it and work around it. Both taking and viewing lenses are plastic so I have to be careful not to scratch them when cleaning. I was tempted to blow away those plastic rivets but... nahhh.

Thanks,
08-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at all that crud....makes me want to cry.

I am looking forward to seeing it all painted up. Are you going for a tiedye look? ;-)
08-08-2020, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I can say is wow...

Steve