Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Supposed world marketshare of digital cameras in 2019 stats

Canon tops the world market for digital cameras in 2019 with 45.4%

The Nikkei Shimbun's article "74 items of world share for inspection" contains data on the world market share of digital cameras in 2019.
Inspection world share 74
  • The top five digital camera companies have a 93.7% share in 2019. Sales 14,830,000 units (-22.4%)

- Canon 45.4% (+ 2.4)
    - Sony 20.2% (+ 0.9)
    - Nikon 18.6% (- 1.6)
    - Fujifilm Holdings 4.7% (- 0.4)
    - Panasonic 4.7% (0.0 )

Google Translate translated from a digicame-info.com pst: 2019?????????????????????45.4%???? - ????info

-------------

Note: this is supposed world marketshare in 2019 of Japanese camera companies. Pre-Pandemic.

I find it rather Interesting that Canon is still holding their own (even gaining percentage), Sony has carved out a nice spot, and Nikon has sunk a bit as a result. Fuji and Panasonic combined are tiny. And Pentax is a total non-player. At least in these figures.

Last edited by mee; 08-14-2020 at 08:05 PM.
08-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
And Pentax is a
Player,this year may be a "bit" different!
08-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is absolutely a non-player as their sales probably barely register. I'm surprised by Nikon though. I always thought they were doing well as they seem to have compelling products.
08-15-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Pentax is absolutely a non-player as their sales probably barely register. I'm surprised by Nikon though. I always thought they were doing well as they seem to have compelling products.

There was a time many, many years ago when Nikon was competing with Canon and had a nearly even share.

Now Nikon are much closer to Pentax' market share than to Canon.

08-15-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

So, Pentax shares 6.4% of the remaining stats % with Olympus, Leica and (possible?) medium format payers such as Hasselblad or Phase One.
Question : why don't they appear in those figures ?
08-15-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
So, Pentax shares 6.4% of the remaining stats % with Olympus, Leica and (possible?) medium format payers such as Hasselblad or Phase One.
Question : why don't they appear in those figures ?
This only looks at Japanese companies. Leica, Hassy, and P1 are not Japanese companies. I'm surprised Olympus isn't on the list as they were bigger than Fuji and Panasonic in the last report I saw.The last time I saw anything on Ricoh/Pentax they were at 3%, but that was several years ago and since they have not released a new camera of note in 2019 they are probably close to 1%. Product release cycles heavily influence these numbers.
08-15-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax users looking at world market share. That has to be the height of futility.
SO, I have to ask... what's the point of doing this if you don't give figures for everyone?

Just marketing for the big players.

The article is no doubt click bait.

Last edited by normhead; 08-15-2020 at 07:26 AM.
08-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Over the last couple of years the only news that Nikon has made has been bad financial news. Their Z series of mirrorless cameras are pretty good, but lens options are pedestrian. Nikon is depending on adapted glass and that's not a good option. A few years ago if you wanted to get into a mirrorless system you had no choice but to deal with adapted glass and the AF of mirrorless was pretty bad so adapted glass wasn't much of a sacrifice. Today there are mirrorless systems with great native glass options and AF that is better than DSLR so there is no reason to settle for adapted glass. They have a 50mm F/1.2 that has yet to launch and the 35mm F/1.4 (or F/1.2) and the 85mm F/1.4 (or 1.2) aren't even on the road map. Until they have the native core primes and zooms on the market they will have a hard time. A lot of people didn't think the L-mount had much of a future, but with the glass that Sigma has been producing in the ART series coming in L-mount it looks better than Nikon at the moment. The new Sigma 85mm F/1.4 DG DN for L mount looks like an excellent lens for the money and the 35mm F/1.2 for L mount is one of the best 35mm lenses on the market. Canon has some nice glass on the RF mount.
08-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This only looks at Japanese companies. Leica, Hassy, and P1 are not Japanese companies. I'm surprised Olympus isn't on the list as they were bigger than Fuji and Panasonic in the last report I saw.The last time I saw anything on Ricoh/Pentax they were at 3%, but that was several years ago and since they have not released a new camera of note in 2019 they are probably close to 1%. Product release cycles heavily influence these numbers.
Yep exactly. Japanese companies only were included in this data. Olympus is all but DOA and they must have been just under the cutoff for this.

I'm guessing Pentax is somewhere around 2%. But that's not a shocker to anyone here I hope. I don't think a shiny K-3 III is changing it much.

What is really interesting, at least to me, is how well Canon has managed to stay in the lead. And secondly, how Sony has managed to stick it to Nikon by simply adopting a purely mirrorless platform. Which is probably why Nikon is launching MILC cameras and lenses en masse now. Caught sleeping at the wheel now trying to play catch up.
08-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yep exactly. Japanese companies only were included in this data. Olympus is all but DOA and they must have been just under the cutoff for this.

I'm guessing Pentax is somewhere around 2%. But that's not a shocker to anyone here I hope. I don't think a shiny K-3 III is changing it much.

What is really interesting, at least to me, is how well Canon has managed to stay in the lead. And secondly, how Sony has managed to stick it to Nikon by simply adopting a purely mirrorless platform. Which is probably why Nikon is launching MILC cameras and lenses en masse now. Caught sleeping at the wheel now trying to play catch up.
Canon is a marketing and distribution machine. The brand loyalty is strong. I think a lot of the Canon users who switched to Sony will switch back if Canon can put a real A7III competitor on the market. Sony will have to improve ergonomics and menus if it wants to keep the users they have stolen. Now that the R-5 is on the market we should finally see what Sony has been holding back. Sony had the A7sIII ready to launch Q4 of 2018, but held it back until there was real competition to the A7sII. The A9 & A9II are both basically 4 year old technology. I think the R-5 will finally push Sony to release an A9r. I think Panasonic is really close to making a big jump. If they can solve their AF issues and compete with dual pixel and PDAF they will have a very compelling offering. The Sigma ART glass in native L mount gives them an advantage over Nikon and Canon and the new DN ART glass looks really good.

Fuji needs to expand its GFX line. I think there is a lot of potential in this line. Its not just about mega-pixels. The transition between shadow and highlights is very nice and the color depth of the RAW file is really good. The GFX50s files are noticeably better than the A7rIII or A7rIV.
08-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think lens selection is a big reason why Sony is really carving out a path for themselves. There are so many quality 3rd party options available for Sony today. Canon and Nikon chose not to open their mount to 3rd parties so it's an uphill battle to introduce your products for these mounts. Sony did the opposite. I think we'll see more RF lenses before we see Z from 3rd parties just due to the marketshare numbers in my original post. Which hurts Nikon more than anything.

And the EF lens to Sony adapters let a lot of Canon users come onboard relatively easily. Will they move back to Canon now that they are introducing competent mirrorless FF bodies or have they already bought into the Sony system to the point they're going to stay in Sonyland?
08-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

And the EF lens to Sony adapters let a lot of Canon users come onboard relatively easily. Will they move back to Canon now that they are introducing competent mirrorless FF bodies or have they already bought into the Sony system to the point they're going to stay in Sonyland?
It was probably a good holiday but the $ony monopoly is over,PaNikCan are in the game and what they bring is quite good.Such a choice and by end of 2021,the lens lineups of the Newbys will have caught up.
08-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It was probably a good holiday but the $ony monopoly is over,PaNikCan are in the game and what they bring is quite good.Such a choice and by end of 2021,the lens lineups of the Newbys will have caught up.
I sure hope so.
08-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think lens selection is a big reason why Sony is really carving out a path for themselves. There are so many quality 3rd party options available for Sony today. Canon and Nikon chose not to open their mount to 3rd parties so it's an uphill battle to introduce your products for these mounts. Sony did the opposite. I think we'll see more RF lenses before we see Z from 3rd parties just due to the marketshare numbers in my original post. Which hurts Nikon more than anything.

Canon users are a loyal bunch and most of them have been using their Canon glass on Sony bodies so they still have a lot of Canon glass. Switching back to Canon won't be expensive. That said, the older Canon glass isn't all that great compared to the newer RF glass, Sony E-mount, or Sigma ART options. A glass upgrade is going to have to happen with anyone who is making the switch professionally. The 50mm F/1.2 and 85mm F/1.2 Canon L glass really shows its age and softness when compared to any of the new mirrorless glass. 3rd party is definitely and advantage. I really like the Sigma 105mm F/1.4 and if I decide to switch to L-mount Sigma will change it over from Sony to L-mount for me. That 35mm f/1.2 ART is probably the best 35mm on the market right now. If Sigma continues to launch mirrorless glass like the 35mm and the new 85mm F/1.4 they are going to be very successful and Sony and Panasonic users are going to have some great glass options. I have seriously been considering using Sigma only glass just for the flexibility of changing mounts.

I can only hope that Ricoh joins the L-mount with a mirrorless FF body.
08-16-2020, 09:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Canon users are a loyal bunch and most of them have been using their Canon glass on Sony bodies so they still have a lot of Canon glass. Switching back to Canon won't be expensive. That said, the older Canon glass isn't all that great compared to the newer RF glass, Sony E-mount, or Sigma ART options. A glass upgrade is going to have to happen with anyone who is making the switch professionally. The 50mm F/1.2 and 85mm F/1.2 Canon L glass really shows its age and softness when compared to any of the new mirrorless glass. 3rd party is definitely and advantage. I really like the Sigma 105mm F/1.4 and if I decide to switch to L-mount Sigma will change it over from Sony to L-mount for me. That 35mm f/1.2 ART is probably the best 35mm on the market right now. If Sigma continues to launch mirrorless glass like the 35mm and the new 85mm F/1.4 they are going to be very successful and Sony and Panasonic users are going to have some great glass options. I have seriously been considering using Sigma only glass just for the flexibility of changing mounts.

I can only hope that Ricoh joins the L-mount with a mirrorless FF body.
..Don't hold your breath!