Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2020, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I like that on these forums the OP is being given info and advice on many options, not just Pentax
That might be because we're in the Non-Pentax Cameras section.

I see your points, but this is why I suggest renting if possible. Obviously it gets expensive to rent many body+lens combos. but even just one on each side to get a feel for the body or a combo outside of Pentax is great imo. The other option, if one cannot rent, is to maybe visit a camera shop if one is open in your area and at least handle some of these systems.

I think a lot of the more vocal people on this forum haven't ventured too far off the Pentax plantation to see there is a whole big world outside. Step outside. Try other gear, don't just read about it. Maybe it reinforces ones views on Pentax, maybe it challenges them.

09-03-2020, 04:16 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That might be because we're in the Non-Pentax Cameras section.

. . . this is why I suggest renting if possible. Obviously it gets expensive to rent many body+lens combos. but even just one on each side to get a feel for the body or a combo outside of Pentax is great imo. . . .
oops

I join in the recommendation to consider a rental for a try out:

QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

I can recommend LensRental.com out of Tennessee

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-03-2020 at 04:26 AM.
09-12-2020, 10:14 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm a bit late to this party having just seen this thread, but thought I'd throw in my two cents as I've gone to using two systems.

Much of my photography is wildlife (usually birds) and I've put up with the known limitations of the Pentax system and been very happy with the 560 and 150-450 over the years.

That being said, I ultimately broke down and purchased the D500 and 500 PF 5.6 which rapidly became my go to wildlife setup. The light weight of the 500 PF is simply amazing and handheld shooting is a breeze. I carry it with me on every hike. The D500 is as impressive as advertised with the joystick, auto focus, frame rate, buffer and ability to switch from single point to group focus with a simultaneous push of a front button. With this combo, I definitely get shots I would miss with my slower K3ii and above lenses.

Despite that, I have no intention of purchasing any other Nikon lenses or switching systems, I've just added to my quiver for a particular situation. If I want the luxury of a zoom for slower or larger wildlife, I'll stick with Pentax and the amazing 150-450. If I'm using a tripod, I'll stick with the 560. Overall, I still prefer Pentax menus and user modes. Like everyone else, I'm anxious to see the real improvements the Knew may offer (those that matter to me most have yet to be addressed in the trickle of teasers).
09-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
I'm a bit late to this party having just seen this thread, but thought I'd throw in my two cents as I've gone to using two systems.

Much of my photography is wildlife (usually birds) and I've put up with the known limitations of the Pentax system and been very happy with the 560 and 150-450 over the years.

That being said, I ultimately broke down and purchased the D500 and 500 PF 5.6 which rapidly became my go to wildlife setup. The light weight of the 500 PF is simply amazing and handheld shooting is a breeze. I carry it with me on every hike. The D500 is as impressive as advertised with the joystick, auto focus, frame rate, buffer and ability to switch from single point to group focus with a simultaneous push of a front button. With this combo, I definitely get shots I would miss with my slower K3ii and above lenses.

Despite that, I have no intention of purchasing any other Nikon lenses or switching systems, I've just added to my quiver for a particular situation. If I want the luxury of a zoom for slower or larger wildlife, I'll stick with Pentax and the amazing 150-450. If I'm using a tripod, I'll stick with the 560. Overall, I still prefer Pentax menus and user modes. Like everyone else, I'm anxious to see the real improvements the Knew may offer (those that matter to me most have yet to be addressed in the trickle of teasers).
Really great information and very helpful, appreciate your thoughts and experience. That's generally how I've been leaning, but at this point am waiting to learn about the K-new. That said, the D500 remains a great camera and prices for it are getting better. I was looking at it, as well as the D7500. I hadn't looked at the 500 PF. Just did, it looks amazing. Thanks much. I agree re all other aspects of photography and staying with Pentax.

09-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
That being said, I ultimately broke down and purchased the D500 and 500 PF 5.6 which rapidly became my go to wildlife setup. The light weight of the 500 PF is simply amazing and handheld shooting is a breeze. I carry it with me on every hike.
To me this addresses a real issue: weight. 1460g for a 500mm f5.6 is significantly less than most of the alternatives. The Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm zooms and the Pentax DFA 150-450 are all 2kg or more. It doesn't sound like much but there is a big difference in the real world between 1.5kg and 2kg (assuming the body is going to be about 700-800g).

The other way some people go lighter weight is with the Panasonic 100-400mm (about 1kg) on a M43 body. That gives a lot of reach (because of the smaller sensor) for the weight.

Of course everything is a compromise so you need to assess the whole package.
09-12-2020, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I know I'm old fashioned, etc., but I use my K5 and Sigma 150-500. I'm happy with this combo.

But I think the poster who suggested you try out a Nikon D500 and a Nikon 200-500 or the Sigma /Tamron zooms from whatever to 600 mm first...are good ideas.
09-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I use my KP with a DA 55-300 plus 1.4X TC. It focuses quickly, quietly and surely.
My reflexes are more of an issue for this sort of thing than Pentax equipment is.

02-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I'm still holding out, trying to find out best option now that more into on the K3 III is out. Prices on the D500 are coming down and the Nikon 200-500 costs less than the 150-450. If the K3 III is as good or better for wildlife I may stick with Pentax for wildlife, but it would be at a premium price. Still love my Pentax gear.
02-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Well, I'm still holding out, trying to find out best option now that more into on the K3 III is out. Prices on the D500 are coming down and the Nikon 200-500 costs less than the 150-450. If the K3 III is as good or better for wildlife I may stick with Pentax for wildlife, but it would be at a premium price. Still love my Pentax gear.
In case you haven't heard the release of the K 3 III is delayed indefinitely

QuoteQuote:
K3III Delayed... indefinitely
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/420641-k3iii-delay...ml#post5214021

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-20-2021 at 06:15 PM.
02-20-2021, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

delayed for a bit.....

Anyway..... I'll stick my neck out....

I doubt, at this time, anyone looking to get into wildlife photography would choose Pentax unless they are already invested in some significant form (ie own and use a K3/K1 etc)....

And the best advice is always to get to know your prey and position yourself to win. Gear is secondary.... potentially third in the list. The other thing that I reckon goes to first place is.... to be present and connected in appreciation of all around you.... if you cant see and feel the beauty and wonder.... how can you capture it?

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-20-2021 at 06:27 PM.
02-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Delayed while everyone else is delayed too.
02-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
In case you haven't heard the release of the K 3 III is delayed indefinitely

K3III Delayed... indefinitely - Page 24 - PentaxForums.com

"Indefinitely" is a word used by PetaPixel and copied by a user on this forum, not by Pentax.

In English, "indefinitely" is most often used as a less-final way of saying "cancelled", which the K-3 III isn't. In fact, reviews of the K-3 III are popping up in the Japanese press.

K-3 Mark III reviews in the Japanese press - PentaxForums.com
02-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
"Indefinitely" is a word used by PetaPixel and copied by a user on this forum, not by Pentax.

In English, "indefinitely" is most often used as a less-final way of saying "cancelled", which the K-3 III isn't. In fact, reviews of the K-3 III are popping up in the Japanese press.

K-3 Mark III reviews in the Japanese press - PentaxForums.com
did I say the K 3 III was cancelled ?

I did not

are you selling saying they are going on sale as expected this month?

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-21-2021 at 04:19 AM.
02-20-2021, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
delayed for a bit.....

Anyway..... I'll stick my neck out....

I doubt, at this time, anyone looking to get into wildlife photography would choose Pentax unless they are already invested in some significant form (ie own and use a K3/K1 etc)....

And the best advice is always to get to know your prey and position yourself to win. Gear is secondary.... potentially third in the list. The other thing that I reckon goes to first place is.... to be present and connected in appreciation of all around you.... if you cant see and feel the beauty and wonder.... how can you capture it?
Well said, on all counts. For whatever reason I spent the last couple days looking at vids of the latest from C, N, S (wasn't that a famous rock trio. . . ?) and it all seemed so much about frame rate, who has the best eye focus, spray and pray. (I'm not suggesting this stuff isn't important, but to me it's just part of the equation. I'm still surprised at all the sharp in-focus I took as a kid with my dad's old Nikon F.) Not my style, and I don't expect it to be should I get more into wildlife. Contemplation seemed the last on their minds, but of course wasn't the point of the vids anyway.

I posted today mainly because locally an as-new D500 was advertised at an incredibly price, and of course it sold right away. I'm thinking that's good, and after going through this evaluation like I did last year, I'm fine with my KP, may get a second. Will look for a D*300 and/or 150-450 at a good price. I'm happy with my Pentax kit, and while I'm bummed for Pentax the K3 III is delayed, I still have a lot to learn and appreciate about the KP.
02-20-2021, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Well said, on all counts. For whatever reason I spent the last couple days looking at vids of the latest from C, N, S (wasn't that a famous rock trio. . . ?) and it all seemed so much about frame rate, who has the best eye focus, spray and pray. (I'm not suggesting this stuff isn't important, but to me it's just part of the equation. I'm still surprised at all the sharp in-focus I took as a kid with my dad's old Nikon F.) Not my style, and I don't expect it to be should I get more into wildlife. Contemplation seemed the last on their minds, but of course wasn't the point of the vids anyway.

I posted today mainly because locally an as-new D500 was advertised at an incredibly price, and of course it sold right away. I'm thinking that's good, and after going through this evaluation like I did last year, I'm fine with my KP, may get a second. Will look for a D*300 and/or 150-450 at a good price. I'm happy with my Pentax kit, and while I'm bummed for Pentax the K3 III is delayed, I still have a lot to learn and appreciate about the KP.
CNS = Crosby, Nash, Stills?

I kind of do the same thing as you, making evaluations of various gear for wildlife, and then reach the conclusion that my Pentax stuff is mostly fine