09-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Ps if your giving them away I will take them off your hands

09-08-2020, 05:52 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That's an excellent lens lineup! Definitely compelling argument for a Canon setup!
Only in film, they won't fit the digital bodies. If anything it's a great reason to buy a Sony full frame body.
09-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's an excellent lens lineup! Definitely compelling argument for a Canon setup!
Oh, I wish I had the money for a second setup. And time. Still learning how to take good pictures with my K-5iiS and the lenses I have collected so far. I need to get over the lens collection fever and start composing and taking pictures

I have amassed a smorgasbord of (non-Pentax) lenses, bodies, adapters, filters and a bag or two so far in pursuit of a few Taks and Super Taks. I'll have to put them up for sale eventually.
09-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zeebanker Quote
8. 50mm f1.4
this should be a "new FD"/FDn line lens, which also has the SSC coatings. I've got a "CANON LENS FD 50mm 1:1.4" with a chrome filter ring and silver mounting ring, that should be the oldest version from 1971-1973 without SSC coatings (and also the heaviest of the bunch with 370g compared to 235g for the FDn and 350g for the SSC I and 305g for the SSC II).

09-08-2020, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zeebanker Quote
Oh, I wish I had the money for a second setup. And time. Still learning how to take good pictures with my K-5iiS and the lenses I have collected so far. I need to get over the lens collection fever and start composing and taking pictures

I have amassed a smorgasbord of (non-Pentax) lenses, bodies, adapters, filters and a bag or two so far in pursuit of a few Taks and Super Taks. I'll have to put them up for sale eventually.
I hear ya . . .

Of course, these lend themselves well to product shots such as my A-1 mounted on on my Canon Autobellows . . .

09-08-2020, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Only in film, they won't fit the digital bodies. If anything it's a great reason to buy a Sony full frame body.
Even now "third-party" companies provide adapters for EOS-M and EOS-R mount.
If a person is willing to use an EVF, he can get a digital Canon body that will use an FD-mount lens.
09-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Even now "third-party" companies provide adapters for EOS-M and EOS-R mount.
If a person is willing to use an EVF, he can get a digital Canon body that will use an FD-mount lens.
Good point. I forgot the mirrorless canon cameras finally offer a way to reuse the fd series lenses on a digital Canon body.

09-09-2020, 12:23 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
I hear ya . . .

Of course, these lend themselves well to product shots such as my A-1 mounted on on my Canon Autobellows . . .
That's a beauty!
10-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I deal in old lenses, the old FD prime lenses are very good sellers - I think a lot go to micro 4/3 and other mirrorless cameras as others have said. Good clean zooms are OK but not wonderful sellers, they don't offer huge advantages over lighter and more affordable alternatives. Anything with the FDn mount is a pain - I don't think I've seen one in good condition in the last couple of years. Fungus, damaged mounts, and other mechanical issues are the main problems.
10-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Rowland Quote
I deal in old lenses, the old FD prime lenses are very good sellers - I think a lot go to micro 4/3 and other mirrorless cameras as others have said. Good clean zooms are OK but not wonderful sellers, they don't offer huge advantages over lighter and more affordable alternatives. Anything with the FDn mount is a pain - I don't think I've seen one in good condition in the last couple of years. Fungus, damaged mounts, and other mechanical issues are the main problems.
The 50mm lens which was kitted with a Canon AE-1 Program when my Mother purchased it after her first grandchild was born in 1980 appears to be in good shape.
I seem to have inherited in when she died in March 2018, but since I switched from Pentax to Canon in 1995 specifically to get their auto-focus,
I don't expect to ever use it, and my heirs may be left to deal with it some day,
Attached Images

10-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

A nice clean AE1 program with a nice nFD would find a home easy. I have a 1977 AE1 with an original FD mk2 and an FTb with an FD silver nose both 50mm f1.8. Never been able to find any nFDs is good shape so I use Tamron gear to manage for extra lens options.
I have bought maybe 5 or 6 nFDs and none have been any good, usually zoom and focus rings are shot as the lube has dried out.
10-10-2020, 01:53 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not saying that there are no good condition FDn lenses out there - when I was using film my cameras were an AE1 and an F1 and I owned a couple of standard lenses with that mount which were OK until I sold them - but my experience has been that there are relatively few surviving lenses with that mount in good condition, and that the mount is often the point of failure. This is mostly on zooms and other biggish lenses, so I think weight and leverage are probably big factors - the mount simply wasn't as strong as the old breech lock and was often held in place by three very small screws, rather than the continuous metal ring of the original breech lock, so tended to distort more easily if the camera and lens were dropped or bashed.
10-10-2020, 02:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi Marcus, Back in the day they reliable enough. Some people used to argue that the breechlock system put less strain on the cameras mounting ring than a more ttraditional bayonet lock and also reduced wear on the mount ring. Opposing view was that the bayonet was fiddly to mess with when changing lenses.

I had an AE1 when it was a new thing and have to say I hated it. I found it clunky in manual mode and it just lacked any tactile feel, it was uncomfy in the hand and has as much charm as a plastic washing up bowl. Mine never took a single good pic and it wa eventually sold off. My experience back than was from using Spotmatics and OM1s.

A few years back I acquired a mint 1977 AE1 to see if my view had softened, my current one takes good pics but its still as charmless as it ever was, it feels plastic and cheap and although it was a tech marvel it seems like a step down from the FTb.

My experience back in the day with FD lenses was they worked about as well as anything but today, with them out of production the quality has been very poor on second hand. Old style FDs fare better whereas nFDs mostly seem cheap, nasty and assembled using a lot of glue and moulded parts which makes them impossible to fix even for small faults. I tried to get some nFDs to go with my AE1 but gave up, every one I acquired had issues, usually loose and cranky focus due to lubrication issues so I just stopped and went for Tamron.

The FLs I had were great though, easily as good in construction terms as the best of the best. The only two FDs I have now are both breechlock pre nFD and both work well, one is an early silvernose and the other is the later version ...no silvernose but same spec.
10-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Hi Marcus, Back in the day they reliable enough. Some people used to argue that the breechlock system put less strain on the cameras mounting ring than a more ttraditional bayonet lock and also reduced wear on the mount ring. Opposing view was that the bayonet was fiddly to mess with when changing lenses.

I had an AE1 when it was a new thing and have to say I hated it. I found it clunky in manual mode and it just lacked any tactile feel, it was uncomfy in the hand and has as much charm as a plastic washing up bowl. Mine never took a single good pic and it wa eventually sold off. My experience back than was from using Spotmatics and OM1s.

A few years back I acquired a mint 1977 AE1 to see if my view had softened, my current one takes good pics but its still as charmless as it ever was, it feels plastic and cheap and although it was a tech marvel it seems like a step down from the FTb.

My experience back in the day with FD lenses was they worked about as well as anything but today, with them out of production the quality has been very poor on second hand. Old style FDs fare better whereas nFDs mostly seem cheap, nasty and assembled using a lot of glue and moulded parts which makes them impossible to fix even for small faults. I tried to get some nFDs to go with my AE1 but gave up, every one I acquired had issues, usually loose and cranky focus due to lubrication issues so I just stopped and went for Tamron.

The FLs I had were great though, easily as good in construction terms as the best of the best. The only two FDs I have now are both breechlock pre nFD and both work well, one is an early silvernose and the other is the later version ...no silvernose but same spec.
I have found that "plastics" is often said by Nikon and Pentax users as though it were spelled with four letters.
Frankly, I find no difference in "feel" between the three lenses left behind by my Mother and my own Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses of the same era.
10-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Red...its entirely possible if they have been well cared for and perhaps little used that the lube is fine and they may well be ok.
The Canon NFDs I had all had wonky focusers and zooms due to lubrication and helicoid wear issues.

Plastic...I have a Nikon E series and after rebuild and re lubrication is runs as well as any lens, very smooth and slick. Same with Minolta MDs I have after rebuild, they are quite slick and smooth but compared to something epic like the Minolta PG or pretty much any MC series which are mostly metal the plastic MDs just cant keep up.
I think the biggest difference is plastic to plastic helicoids means wear and the mechanism relies on the lube very heavily where as older kenses typically used brass to aluminium which meane less lube is needed and the helicoids are less dependent on the lube to keep stuff tight.

Best feel of any lens I have at the mo is probably the Pentax M series 50mm pair I have for lightness but with good feel. Worst would be my Nikon 50mm f1.4 which was rattly and loose but after a pro rebuild seems too tight to me.

The plastic stuff can get a horribke gritty feel to it. I have a Pentax A series thats scheduled for rebuild when ai get round to it that works ok so long as you are gentle but if you spin the focus fast you get a kind of gritty feel and a lot of resistance. New lube will fix it I expect.