Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2020, 06:24 AM   #1

NIKON FM3A..... why so expensive????

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The NIKON FM3a was made from 2001-2006, is a film camera but why so expensive? The lowest price I've seen is $800 but it's a film camera. Why so high??

09-12-2020, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why does a K1000 sell for over $100? Why does a Canon AE-1P sell for over $150? Why does a Nikon FM10 sell for over $100? Why does a broken LX sell for $230?

The film market makes little sense, but the price of the FM3a is driven by reviews like this...

Nikon FM3a Review - A Nearly Perfect SLR - Casual Photophile

PENTAX LX + SMC PENTAX-M 28mm F3.5 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay
09-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why does a K1000 sell for over $100? Why does a Canon AE-1P sell for over $150? Why does a Nikon FM10 sell for over $100? Why does a broken LX sell for $230?

The film market makes little sense, but the price of the FM3a is driven by reviews like this...

Nikon FM3a Review - A Nearly Perfect SLR - Casual Photophile

PENTAX LX + SMC PENTAX-M 28mm F3.5 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay
But the broken LX is listed at $230 + $50 shipping, but it hasn't sold for that. But you are absolutely right. The current market for K1000s is astounding. I am shocked at the prices they are going for on shopgoodwill, where there are no returns and horrible descriptions.
09-12-2020, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Nikon FM3A is the only aperture priority camera today that has all shutter speeds available when batteries die. There have been some attempts at this capability - such as the Canon New F-1 and the Pentax LX but these two only had sync to max speed available when batteries expire. I suppose being the only camera with this capability makes it desirable but on top of that it was also a merger of features from two other very successful Nikon cameras - the FM2 and FE2.

Making it an instant classic . . .

For myself, the fact that Nikon had to keep engineers from retiring to achieve this design was what pushed me over the edge . . . Manual-focusing SLR camera "Nikon FM3A" born in the 21st century

BTW, that pancake 40mm lens shown in the magazine cover - released with the FM3A, is also very desirable and commands a hefty price tag. Kills me when I see Pentaxians complain about the Pentax pancake lens price which is usually available for much less . . .

09-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Film camera prices are bonkers but at the end of the day its a limited supply. Even cameras that were crappy in their day often go for serious cash and if the thing has any cachet at all it goes mad.

Full runners always pic up a premium and of course lots of old glass has a quality all of its own.

All it takes is some wunderkid on You Tube to blather away and to carry on as if he invented film and wham....instant appeal and before you know it prices have skyrocketed.

I would love an FM3A just because it was the last masterpiece for film from Nikon but its waaaayyy too pricey. Even an FM2 is out of reach for me for a good one.
09-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I would love an FM3A just because it was the last masterpiece for film from Nikon but its waaaayyy too pricey. Even an FM2 is out of reach for me for a good one.
I bought a FM from Seattle Goodwill 2 years ago and paid $76, it's not even a very good one. I didn't want a later model because I wanted it to use non-ai lenses. A black Nikkormat FT2 on the other hand was only $50.
09-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
BTW, that pancake 40mm lens shown in the magazine cover - released with the FM3A, is also very desirable and commands a hefty price tag. Kills me when I see Pentaxians complain about the Pentax pancake lens price which is usually available for much less . . .
Which is the better performer optically, the Nikon 40 or the Pentax 40(s)?

The FM3A seems like a wonderful camera. It costs as much as it does because, from what I can tell, it's that good.

09-12-2020, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Which is the better performer optically, the Nikon 40 or the Pentax 40(s)?

The FM3A seems like a wonderful camera. It costs as much as it does because, from what I can tell, it's that good.
The Pentax 40mm is by any measure exceptional but I am sure Pentaxians scoff at it because it's not far from a 50mm in coverage but cost "so much more" not considering it's utility because of size.

But no I don't have that Nikon pancake yet cause it cost so much more then their 50mm which has similar coverage . . .
09-12-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer the field of view that a 40mm optic gives on full frame over a 50mm. I prefer both to a 35. So I've no issue with a 40mm even if it does cost more than the available 50's.

Your MX and 40 looks very similar to mine though I use the JJC hood that is similar to that of the 40mm Ltd.

I should get out and shoot with mine more.
09-12-2020, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as were're playing show & tell...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
09-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I bought a FM from Seattle Goodwill 2 years ago and paid $76, it's not even a very good one. I didn't want a later model because I wanted it to use non-ai lenses. A black Nikkormat FT2 on the other hand was only $50.
I will just have to be as happy as I can be with my ol’ Nikon F and my tiny collection of has beens and almost were cameras for the time being
09-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I will just have to be as happy as I can be with my ol’ Nikon F and my tiny collection of has beens and almost were cameras for the time being
My F was purchased at a sale that supports an art center...A 1968 body with a working FTn finder and a 55/3.5 Micro for something like $125 iirc.
09-12-2020, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azpentax Quote
Why so high??
Because they are very cool. So tell me, what does it being a film camera have to do with anything? (A 2006 K10D is worth how much? $150 in Ex+ condition?)

Steve
09-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You know today the biggest trend, Cassette tape
Who the hell is buying cassettes in 2020? NME investigates
The same few years ago was for cast iron power tool. I will stay with my KP and Spotify...
09-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always admired the FM3A hybrid shutter idea, but it comes at a huge premium.

FWIW my $100 Nikon FE bodies have never let me down.
I have the Nikon DB-2 "Anti Cold" Battery Pack if I ever need use them in arctic cold.

Chris