Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I, too, have some interest in video. I've been thinking about short video clips of local wildlife, butterflies, insects, that sort of thing.

What I don't know is how much of my interest in the Z is influenced by 2020, where I was very much a covid shut-in. My hankering for a new shooting experience could be cabin fever... but that large EVF is, for me, a sun-breaking-through-the-clouds moment.

12-22-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #137
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I, too, have some interest in video. I've been thinking about short video clips of local wildlife, butterflies, insects, that sort of thing.

What I don't know is how much of my interest in the Z is influenced by 2020, where I was very much a covid shut-in. My hankering for a new shooting experience could be cabin fever... but that large EVF is, for me, a sun-breaking-through-the-clouds moment.

Oh yes. It should work excellently on manual focus lenses. Plus not having to AFMA all my auto focus lenses will be wonderful. Might get an IQ boost just from that.
12-22-2020, 10:17 AM - 2 Likes   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Oh yes. It should work excellently on manual focus lenses. Plus not having to AFMA all my auto focus lenses will be wonderful. Might get an IQ boost just from that.
I'm actually looking forward to some of the South Korean/Chinese manual focus lenses that can be picked up very inexpensive to play around with. Manual focus with the EVF is way easier than optical. Agreed on the boost to image quality without having to adjust the lenses now. I think many who didn't even know one was slightly out will get a bonus boost from some lenses they've used for years.
12-22-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a good point about AFMA. It's great for primes, but not as effective for zooms. The only 2 AF zooms I have are the DA 12-24/4 and DA 17-70/4, and often I'll compose or at least lock AF via the camera's LCD screen just so I can take advantage of the reliability of CDAF.

12-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #140
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'm actually looking forward to some of the South Korean/Chinese manual focus lenses that can be picked up very inexpensive to play around with. Manual focus with the EVF is way easier than optical. Agreed on the boost to image quality without having to adjust the lenses now. I think many who didn't even know one was slightly out will get a bonus boost from some lenses they've used for years.
My thoughts exactly. Well.. I'm trying to avoid Chinese ..but beyond that oh yeah. Even my old M series Pentax primes could be fun on this thing.

I really hope Tamron comes on board though. I want that new 28-75 f/2.8 and 70-180mm f/2.8 too that are currently only available for Sony. That 70-180mm f/2.8 seems to be a marvel. It's smaller and lighter than my 70-210mm f/4 but a stop faster. Never possible on DSLR.

I emailed some higher ups in marketing and product design a few weeks ago, got a canned response that they can't confirm or deny what they're doing in the future. Lame. haha But I still have hopes they'll launch some Z lenses in 2021.
12-22-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #141
mee
Veteran Member

That's a good point about AFMA. It's great for primes, but not as effective for zooms. The only 2 AF zooms I have are the DA 12-24/4 and DA 17-70/4, and often I'll compose or at least lock AF via the camera's LCD screen just so I can take advantage of the reliability of CDAF.
I've never been super happy with my 100-400mm due to all the different AFMA points. Tuned it for 400mm and it works fine there. Would be nice to not have to fool with adjustments again. Just maximal sharpness everywhere all the time.
12-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #142
Veteran Member

My thoughts exactly. Well.. I'm trying to avoid Chinese ..but beyond that oh yeah. Even my old M series Pentax primes could be fun on this thing.

I really hope Tamron comes on board though. I want that new 28-75 f/2.8 and 70-180mm f/2.8 too that are currently only available for Sony. That 70-180mm f/2.8 seems to be a marvel. It's smaller and lighter than my 70-210mm f/4 but a stop faster. Never possible on DSLR.

I emailed some higher ups in marketing and product design a few weeks ago, got a canned response that they can't confirm or deny what they're doing in the future. Lame. haha But I still have hopes they'll launch some Z lenses in 2021.
Tamron and Sigma I think are starting support this coming year for Z mount. If it's in mirrorless mount they'll have it for Canon/Nikon/Sony.

It would be nice to have a Pentax K to Z adapter with autofocus. I know they make the manual ones already. I think you can get a manual adapter for just about any lens for Z mount.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/06/15/rumors-tamron-to-make-mirrorless-lenses-f...-z-mount.aspx/

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/12/06/sigma-rumored-to-start-making-mirrorless-...-in-2021.aspx/

Apparently the 70-200 2.8 Z lens is amazing, but damn that trinity is expensive for the 2.8's. I think I'll be fine with the primes and a 24-200. But this Tamron is 1199 in E mount so if that makes its way over..... tempting.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.
12-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #143
mee
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm not spending that kind of money on the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 plus its huge and heavy. Which is the main reason I really don't own an f/2.8 variant. But that 70-180mm f/2.8 looks special and is priced right.

Only thing with 3rd parties is these lenses are going to be designed around the most inferior lens mount to ensure it operates on all camera makes. Not sure that matters much, if at all. But it is there.
12-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Yeah I'm not spending that kind of money on the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 plus its huge and heavy. Which is the main reason I really don't own an f/2.8 variant. But that 70-180mm f/2.8 looks special and is priced right.

Only thing with 3rd parties is these lenses are going to be designed around the most inferior lens mount to ensure it operates on all camera makes. Not sure that matters much, if at all. But it is there.
I don't ever see myself owning any of the 3 2.8 zooms for Nikon honestly. I've got 20/35/50/85 primes if I need thin DOF for a portrait or wide aperture for night landscape where I don't want to wait all night. I'll probably get the 14-30 F4 at some point though but it's more reasonable and not huge.

I just hope Tamron and Sigma keep up with the weather sealing. I like the Sigma 150-600 C lens i have, it's been pretty great for the price. But it's not weather sealed. Later Tamron came out with the 150-600 G2 which is what I'd have gone with making the decision today.
12-22-2020, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just set the Burst mode in my K-3 II to "Medium" which, interestingly enough, is 4.5 fps... same as the Z5.

Now I just need find some wildlife to photograph...
12-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #146
mee
Veteran Member

I don't ever see myself owning any of the 3 2.8 zooms for Nikon honestly. I've got 20/35/50/85 primes if I need thin DOF for a portrait or wide aperture for night landscape where I don't want to wait all night. I'll probably get the 14-30 F4 at some point though but it's more reasonable and not huge.

I just hope Tamron and Sigma keep up with the weather sealing. I like the Sigma 150-600 C lens i have, it's been pretty great for the price. But it's not weather sealed. Later Tamron came out with the 150-600 G2 which is what I'd have gone with making the decision today.
Thats the one Nikkor I'm eyeing too. I have the 16-35mm f/4 on the D750 and it's been nice. But that 14-30 f/4 looks like an upgrade. I like that it still accepts ring filters. 82mm though so I have to buy new ones (since I have 77mm).

I think weather sealing is one of Tamron's key aspects. So it shouldn't be dropped anytime soon.
12-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #147
mee
Veteran Member

I just set the Burst mode in my K-3 II to "Medium" which, interestingly enough, is 4.5 fps... same as the Z5.

Now I just need find some wildlife to photograph...
Time to find a 'wild lion' (house cat) to shoot!
12-23-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to find a 'wild lion' (house cat) to shoot!
My little lioness won't get far enough away from me to use my 400mm... Squirrels will have to do.
01-10-2021, 03:17 PM - 4 Likes   #149
Veteran Member

No regrets with this Z5 after a month. I could have used higher frame rate once but not that big of a deal, still got the shots I wanted. I’m finding with the EVF that I pretty much don’t leave M mode at all compared with DSLR. You don’t have to worry about accidentally having settings off as you’ll instantly know through the viewfinder if exposure isn’t what you want. Also zero chimping or reviewing shots now, I know I got what I wanted the first time for exposure. The 24-200 has been really good for travel. I’m also glad it’s 2 SD cards and not a compact flash. I know they’re faster but that would have meant more costs for the card and for a reader that works with my Ipad, then a reader that worked for my laptop, so 2x of those added to the cost.

If you really need the burst rate I’d go for the Z6 or ii. But the image quality on the Z5 is great and I’m not wishing I had the BSI sensor at all. Really it just comes down to do you need the high frame rate. Autofocus has been great. It’s the same as the Z6 there. Worth consideration too is the Z5 FSI sensor has slightly better dynamic range than the BSI sensor in the 6, which is slightly better at really high ISO.

I also don’t miss the top screen at all. Didn’t on the OMD so I already knew that. Settings are on the back or in the EVF so it’s just triple redundant to have them on top anyway. Plus IMO the dial is better positioned on the Z5 for modes and it has no lock button which I prefer. Lock button just makes it harder to switch with one hand.

A couple of shots around great salt lake while I’m out here for work.

From the 24-200 and 2mp from snapbridge. Which is what I typically use for sharing as no need for large files if your texting them to relatives or for here. They can transfer in realtime as you shoot or later, and it’s fast. You can also download the full size images if you want but I just pull the SD and use a reader for RAW if I want to really get into editing one. Edits were don’t on my iphone in it’s native editor within a few minutes.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 01-10-2021 at 03:31 PM.
01-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No regrets with this Z5 after a month.
That was a nice little "review",its working for you.The 24 to however many(200ish),lenses available are essential for travel imo.They are just so versatile.

It seems like most makers are offering them these days.