Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2020, 02:21 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So some small improvements and an extra card slot. Eh, it puts the Nikon offerings at a more or less competitive level with Canon and Sony. The Z6ii is actually the one that got the better deal of the two options now IMO, 14 fps and roughly the same price as the previous model's going rate*. Unless you're printing huge (and by huge I mean A1 or so), 24 MP are plenty.

*Officially the same (indeed, both Z6 and Z6ii at $1996 on B&H); on Amazon.de the Z6 is currently selling for 1600€ with FTZ adapter and 2100€ if you toss in the 24-70/4, and the Z7 also has hefty discounts. I guess Nikon needs the inventory out.
Well we will see soon comparisons... 😉 I would believe they do want inventory out. Who knows if we are coming to the bottom of why one can still have Sony A7 bought new. New model does and another layer of models. Some are just waiting for that to happen in order to afford oldnew models with bargain combo. It is long term trap.

10-14-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So some small improvements and an extra card slot. Eh, it puts the Nikon offerings at a more or less competitive level with Canon and Sony. The Z6ii is actually the one that got the better deal of the two options now IMO, 14 fps and roughly the same price as the previous model's going rate*. Unless you're printing huge (and by huge I mean A1 or so), 24 MP are plenty.

*Officially the same (indeed, both Z6 and Z6ii at $1996 on B&H); on Amazon.de the Z6 is currently selling for 1600€ with FTZ adapter and 2100€ if you toss in the 24-70/4, and the Z7 also has hefty discounts. I guess Nikon needs the inventory out.
The Nikon Z6II is now on my radar. It seems like a better bang for the buck camera than the 1st Z6.

I'm curious about the upcoming Sony a7IV. It will supposedly have better "ergonomics" among some of its improvements. As it is, the current Sony a7III is pretty great already, except for the low resolution EVF & cramp inducing ergonomics. They really need to make their a7/a9 bodies a bit larger.

Still waiting on the K-new, but I've been looking at the FF Nikon Z-mount & FF Sony E-mount systems as possible Pentax replacements if the K-new turns out to be so-so. Hopefully that doesn't end up being the case.
10-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
It will supposedly have better "ergonomics" among some of its improvements.
The A6600 and A7R4 were supposed to have the same "better ergonomics" treatment, but clearly Sony's definition of 'better' isn't a very high bar
I wouldn't hold my breath there but apart from that, excellent spec sheet monsters at a reasonable (at least for the bodies) price.
10-14-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

^ Ya know? Hahaha!

But yeah. Sony's AF technology is insane. That's the main reason for me considering Sony, plus their lens selection. The Nikon Z bodies have great ergonomics & AF, though not as good as Sony's AF, but their AF is only going to get better over time.

10-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Everyone agrees that Fuji AF is pretty much the worst of all mirrorless cameras.
AF tracking Fuji vs. Sony - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 10-15-20 at 04:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
poorly functioning adapters do not make the situation any better.
Feel free to tell everyone about your vast personal experience.
10-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #36
Pentaxian

This is a good discussion.

10-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #37
Pentaxian

My Nikon AW130 died after 500 exposures, and two trips, after my Option W90 lasted 10 years and thousands of pictures. Nikon is a bad word around my house. You can't say I didn't give them a chance.

You only get one chance to make a first impression.

10-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ll just say this

If I was choosing a camera system from scratch to suit my shooting interests and to print the results at decent size, it would be a Z-7 or Z-7ii with a few Nikon lenses. It’s the cheapest high-resolution full-frame milc system, doesn’t weigh as much as others for long hikes, feels about as good in the hand as my Pentax dslr and the camera’s performance is all I could wish for. It’s not gonna happen unless someone leaves me serious money, so this is just a pipe dream and don’t flame me. But if it ever became possible ...

Last edited by StiffLegged; 10-15-2020 at 10:48 AM.
10-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Neither the Z 6II or the Z 7II will have "pixel shift" - so, I would never consider buying one of them.

I would not trade my Pentax K-1 camera for either of them!

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 10-15-2020 at 11:30 AM.
10-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nikon Z 7 and 6 cameras have had IBIS since they were released. I see no point in changing a perfectly good camera system for another for no good reason either.
10-15-2020, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
If I was choosing a camera system from scratch to suit my shooting interests and to print the results at decent size, it would be a Z-7 or Z-7ii with a few Nikon lenses. It’s the cheapest full-frame milc system, doesn’t weigh as much as others for long hikes, feels about as good in the hand as my Pentax dslr and the camera’s performance is all I could wish for. It’s not gonna happen unless someone leaves me serious money, so this is just a pipe dream and don’t flame me. But if it ever became possible ...
I hear you! I'm dead set on replacing my Pentax gear with either a Nikon Z6II or a Sony a7III or future a7IV if the K-new turns out to be another so-so camera. The Z bodies have some insanely good ergonomics & decent AF, while the Sony bodies have some insanely good AF with not so good ergonomics. The Z bodies might be cheaper, but when you start factoring the cost of lenses, the Z system is way more expensive than Sony. The Z lenses do seem to have some pretty good quality control, though. I guess I'll figure out what to do once the K-new is out & reviewed by everyone. I do hope to stay in the Pentax fold, but it all depends on how much effort Ricoh placed into the K-new.
10-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The outfit in mind wouldn’t cost as much as Sony equivalents and wouldn’t top 2.5kg. Game over for my requirements. But, again, only if I both had the means and was starting from scratch.
10-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I have a D750 and the issue with the Z series is what do they do better except for the tiny live view instead of optical. Image quality is the same or super damn close. AF on the D750/780 and the D850 is already really good. They're a great camera and if I were jumping from Pentax I'd go for that. For Nikon owners with a recent body though those cameras already are great and the sensors are super similar so upgrading is a tough sell.

I only bought a Nikon for the AF and longer zoom lense options in the first place. Image quality is great with Pentax, as it is on everything now.

My K3 focus's is rediculous with the 60-250 compared to the Sigma 150-600 with the D750, which is why I have the Nikon in addition.

Sensors are not improving much anymore other than MP count. If your already happy with 24 then what's the point in upgrading for a fraction more ISO performance and about the same DR.
10-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
If I was choosing a camera system from scratch to suit my shooting interests and to print the results at decent size, it would be a Z-7 or Z-7ii with a few Nikon lenses. It’s the cheapest high-resolution full-frame milc system, doesn’t weigh as much as others for long hikes, feels about as good in the hand as my Pentax dslr and the camera’s performance is all I could wish for. It’s not gonna happen unless someone leaves me serious money, so this is just a pipe dream and don’t flame me. But if it ever became possible ...
I would purchase a Z-6 - the 24mp Nikon cameras are better for graceful high ISO performance - but I am perfectly happy with my Pentax KP, and have no intention of going anywhere.
10-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The new cameras look pretty good. I'm hoping Nikon releases an APS-C Z mount camera with IBIS though.