Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #46
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I have a D750 and the issue with the Z series is what do they do better except for the tiny live view instead of optical. Image quality is the same or super damn close. AF on the D750/780 and the D850 is already really good. They're a great camera and if I were jumping from Pentax I'd go for that. For Nikon owners with a recent body though those cameras already are great and the sensors are super similar so upgrading is a tough sell.

I only bought a Nikon for the AF and longer zoom lense options in the first place. Image quality is great with Pentax, as it is on everything now.

My K3 focus's is rediculous with the 60-250 compared to the Sigma 150-600 with the D750, which is why I have the Nikon in addition.

Sensors are not improving much anymore other than MP count. If your already happy with 24 then what's the point in upgrading for a fraction more ISO performance and about the same DR.
The difference with the Z series is centered around the viewfinder and the mount specs. Namely in not needing AFMA, having focusing aids in the viewfinder (including a 100% zoom) for manual lenses, and video recording through the viewfinder. The huge mount diamater also means it is capable of adapting a ton of lens mounts and the IBIS means even those old lenses are stabilized. Plus the S line lenses have been really quality pieces.

The D750 is a capable body even today. It surpasses anything in the Pentax catalog in terms of AF and lens catalog (I sold a K-1 for a D750 so first hand exp). The D850 is even better. But the Z line is a different animal.

The 2nd gens look like what most wanted the 1st gens to be with the dual slots, portrait grip, and the improved AF out of the gate. First gen's AF improved largely through 3 firmware generations (version 1.0 to 3.12 [still getting updated today]). I think it is a competent system now. Would still like to see 3rd parties Tamron and Sigma release lenses for Z.

10-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The 2nd gens look like what most wanted the 1st gens to be with the dual slots, portrait grip, and the improved AF out of the gate.
It only took Nikon 2 full years to "re invent" mirrorless but $ony and Canon are still ahead @ this point in time.

Some who bought into the first 2 FF bodies will be disappointed that these 2nd editions have depreciated their now obsolete bodies.

---------- Post added 10-18-20 at 09:35 AM ----------

I think it is a competent system now.
Yes,espescially if the lens roadmap sticks to schedule.Over a dozen newbys by end of 2021.
10-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #48
Veteran Member

The difference with the Z series is centered around the viewfinder and the mount specs. Namely in not needing AFMA, having focusing aids in the viewfinder (including a 100% zoom) for manual lenses, and video recording through the viewfinder. The huge mount diamater also means it is capable of adapting a ton of lens mounts and the IBIS means even those old lenses are stabilized. Plus the S line lenses have been really quality pieces.

The D750 is a capable body even today. It surpasses anything in the Pentax catalog in terms of AF and lens catalog (I sold a K-1 for a D750 so first hand exp). The D850 is even better. But the Z line is a different animal.

The 2nd gens look like what most wanted the 1st gens to be with the dual slots, portrait grip, and the improved AF out of the gate. First gen's AF improved largely through 3 firmware generations (version 1.0 to 3.12 [still getting updated today]). I think it is a competent system now. Would still like to see 3rd parties Tamron and Sigma release lenses for Z.
I am curious what you thought of the K-1. I decided to just got to the D750 for the AF and way more lens options. I still have the K-3 and would update that if Pentax drops an APS-C worth upgrading too. Pentax AF is way behind at this point IMO.

The one thing the Z series has that I want is that 24-200 which would be great for travel.
10-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #49
mee
Pentaxian

I am curious what you thought of the K-1. I decided to just got to the D750 for the AF and way more lens options. I still have the K-3 and would update that if Pentax drops an APS-C worth upgrading too. Pentax AF is way behind at this point IMO.

The one thing the Z series has that I want is that 24-200 which would be great for travel.
In a word: Slow. Turning it on/off was slow, Menus were slow, burst rate was slow. Well maybe only sluggish just enough to annoy me. My much older K-5 II felt more responsive to me.

Also shutter sounded wonky, strange mechanical clacking like it would break at any point. I owned many Pentax digital crop bodies before that I enjoyed in the context of their era, but the K-1 never set well with me. The IQ was superb though. Single point AF wasn't terrible. Lock on was fairly peppy with a modern lens. D750 was still night/day better. I've had no regrets.

This was the mark 1 (original) version, maybe mark II improved on these?

10-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #50
Veteran Member

In a word: Slow. Turning it on/off was slow, Menus were slow, burst rate was slow. Well maybe only sluggish just enough to annoy me. My much older K-5 II felt more responsive to me.

Also shutter sounded wonky, strange mechanical clacking like it would break at any point. I owned many Pentax digital crop bodies before that I enjoyed in the context of their era, but the K-1 never set well with me. The IQ was superb though. Single point AF wasn't terrible. Lock on was fairly peppy with a modern lens. D750 was still night/day better. I've had no regrets.

This was the mark 1 (original) version, maybe mark II improved on these?
That was my worry. I also didn't think I'd see the third party lens support which seems to be true.

I see the benefits for manual lenses with mirrorless. I have an OMD so I've had the experience with one so far. I really like the x100s in that it has both optical and EVF, that's the best of both worlds.

For now It's really hard to justify going to anything on the market from the D750 as the sensors nearly the same as the Z6/A7iii and it still has really good AF and the battery lasts forever. It'll be interesting to see if Nikon develops and keeps a DSLR and Mirrorless line at the same time years into the future. Nikon made a really good camera in the D750 tbh.
10-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #51
mee
Pentaxian

Nikon made a really good camera in the D750 tbh.
That they did! For an all purpose 24 MP Full Frame, it is a solid performer.

I'm glad they introduced a proper portrait grip and included an SD slot on the body with the 2nd gen Z's though.

But it makes me think Nikon planned this for many generations in advance. I mean, I get the impression they decided before development that it would be a tic tock approach to generations. 1st gen gets the main parts, 2nd get refines those same parts. 3rd gen gets new parts, 4th gen refines those parts. That way they can keep a fresh product lineup, fill out the lower tiers with former higher tiered products, and stretch the development costs across generations.
I could be wrong though but that's how I perceive it.
2 Days Ago   #52
mee
Pentaxian

FF 6 minutes in (for some reason the time code isnt functioning) for the first vid

Last edited by mee; 2 Days Ago at 12:04 PM.