Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
09-29-2020, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Z 6II and Z 7II on the way

?THE NEXT CHAPTER?Z 7II?Z 6II | ?????????

09-29-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I guess we'll see what they've been up to with these upcoming releases. The Z bodies feel ergonomically good in the hands. The AF performance is the one thing where they fall a bit behind Sony. They do have animal & eye-AF, but Sony's animal & eye-AF is a bit more accurate. The FF Nikon Z system is one of the possible migration paths for me if the Pentax K-new ends up being the same-old, same-old. The FF Sony E-mount is another possibility.

But yeah. I'm still looking very forward to the K-new & will keep an eye out on these upcoming Z cameras.
09-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Just needs a proper portrait grip. It would be super if they make it fit previous Z bodies too.
09-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I showed up when Nikon's "road show" to introduce the original versions came through town. I was suitably impressed, including with Nikon's converter to allow use of existing F-mount lenses.
Apparently they have not sold as well as expected, which surprised me - the Z6 would have been high on my list if I had been a Nikon, instead of a Pentax, user.

09-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Z 6II and Z 7II on the way
These will be the cameras that should have been released in 2018 when they "redfined mirrorless".

Dual card slots/effective battery grip are 2 of the deficiencies that will be updated.Their AF trails $ony/Canon at the moment,it should be improved as well.

Exciting (about)times if you shoot Nikon.
09-29-2020, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I showed up when Nikon's "road show" to introduce the original versions came through town. I was suitably impressed, including with Nikon's converter to allow use of existing F-mount lenses.
Apparently they have not sold as well as expected, which surprised me - the Z6 would have been high on my list if I had been a Nikon, instead of a Pentax, user.
Their FTZ is markedly inferior to Canon's hassle-free EF-RF... if only because Nikon maintained screwdrive lenses in their portfolio for much longer, à la Pentax. So a host of older Nikon F glass doesn't autofocus on the Z cameras. That's strike one. Strike two was, from what I read, the lack of "interesting" glass - Nikon already had great DSLR pro-grade and mid-tier lenses... so they repeated them in Z mount. Canon said "we already have f/1.4 glass and consumer-grade stuff so the monsters come first", which certainly piqued the interest of people even if they didn't sell a whole lot of them.

The Z6 and Z7 were ridiculously expensive at launch - with both being strictly inferior in performance to their DSLR equivalents (D750 and D850, respectively), there wasn't a whole lot of incentive to spend 4-5000€ in new gear just to do what you were doing before. Canon also didn't sell very many cameras until they dropped the RP as a honeypot for the people who were interested in trying the system*, but Nikon took almost two years to release the Z5 after someone decided, somehow, that the Z50 was a good idea.

I'm only comparing to Canon because it's the other DSLR-to-MILC player; Sony more or less started from scratch and so did the L-mount guys, so not quite comparable I'd say.

*And even then it looks like *the* cameras were the R5 and R6, which are spec monsters and seem to be very well received, overheating notwithstanding.
09-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I always keep an eye on these. There was a really good deal in the local shop here for a 10/10 used + 64 GB xqd card + 24-70/4 a day ago (sold quite quickly) for 1550 euro for a z6, but gosh...there always seems to be something off IQ-wise on these 24mp z6s when you zoom in the raw sample files online.
And the z7 is quite expensive.

09-30-2020, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I feel a bit nervous about Nikon. It seems as though they are making the same mistakes with the Z series of cameras that they made with their SLR line ups.

It feels like now is the time to stream line things a bit. Have better, less frequent camera lines released. They are going to end up having a bunch of Z6 and Z7 cameras sitting in stores, selling at discounted prices versus the version II of those cameras. This at a time when the economy has turned down and probably will till spring of next year.
09-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I guess we'll see what they've been up to with these upcoming releases. The Z bodies feel ergonomically good in the hands. The AF performance is the one thing where they fall a bit behind Sony. They do have animal & eye-AF, but Sony's animal & eye-AF is a bit more accurate. The FF Nikon Z system is one of the possible migration paths for me if the Pentax K-new ends up being the same-old, same-old. The FF Sony E-mount is another possibility.

But yeah. I'm still looking very forward to the K-new & will keep an eye out on these upcoming Z cameras.
I doubt you're getting comparable performance out of a Pentax. It's just not in their wheel house to compete on tech which is probably why they advertise and market more on experience these days.

It's exciting though to start fresh on a new system with much more future potential. That is, if you're shopping mirrorless. E, Z, and RF are all wonderful systems for varying reasons that should only grow in the future.
10-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Just a couple of days now?

Some are saying this release could make or break Nikon.

The Z mount lenses are gradually increasing but no third party support yet(maybe the odd manual lens).

It will be interesting to what new features come along.
10-11-2020, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

^ Seems like the biggest complaints about the Z6 & Z7 were the AF performance when compared to Sony & Canon plus the lack of 2 card slots. If they improve the speed, accuracy, & reliability of the AF plus add the 2nd card slot, most of the complaining will stop.

Here's the funny thing. I've played around with the Z6 & I think the AF on the Z6 is pretty great as it is. Can it be better? Yes. I can only imagine what those people would say about the AF on the KP or K-1II if they tried one. Hahahaha!
10-11-2020, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

2 card slots. If they improve the speed, accuracy, & reliability of the AF plus add the 2nd card slot,
And add a proper battery grip.

I hope Nikon gets it right this time around,their sales were probably less than what they wanted with Zee6/7.

CaNiks foray into FF mirrorless was reasonably parallel, the thing was Canon fixed the AF reasonably quickly and then brought a big jump forward in innovation with the R5.Both evolving systems and I know which horse I'm backing.
10-11-2020, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Meh.

All the rush to the next techno bell or whistle makes me wonder about the deliberate, artistic process. Why not just an AI chip and you tell it to make a nice landscape or macro for you. . .

I guess this may come off as sour grapes, or me as a luddite, but companies seem to be competing for features that are just automating the process on high end cameras. Maybe that's what most people want.

I sometimes thinks if someone like Pentax or Fujii would come out with a rock solid camera with a great metering system and focusing system, and manual meter only, it might sell really well. But I'm probably in the minority here, and know you can set all these cameras to "manual."

But trying to convince people they need the latest thing every year or two seems pointless.
10-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ Seems like the biggest complaints about the Z6 & Z7 were the AF performance when compared to Sony & Canon plus the lack of 2 card slots. If they improve the speed, accuracy, & reliability of the AF plus add the 2nd card slot, most of the complaining will stop.

Here's the funny thing. I've played around with the Z6 & I think the AF on the Z6 is pretty great as it is. Can it be better? Yes. I can only imagine what those people would say about the AF on the KP or K-1II if they tried one. Hahahaha!
I thought they were dissapointed of the AF compared to D850, camera they were suppose to move from and which was similar priced as Z7.

I suppose that is fixed now.
10-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I suppose that is fixed now.
I guess Nikon is not in a position where "fixed" is anywhere good enough. That would still leave the "why buy that toy and not the others?" question open in a way that the probable answer is not to their liking.