Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #121
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Actually, what I need to do is make the 25 mile drive to Unique Photo to see for myself. Just looking at the specs I can see that the Z's EVF outclasses anything I've used.

One negative for the Z5 from my perspective is there is no battery grip available; I'd have to move up to the Z6 for that. Of course, the Z6 is currently $400 more than the Z5, so while not the great bargain the Z5 is, the Z6 is not a bad value at all, IMO.
That's dangerous talk there. Could be love at first sight (through the viewfinder).

FYI you can use the same grip on the Z5 as you can on the Z6

MB-N10 Multi Battery Power Pack | Nikon

Though the Z5 and Z6 don't support the newer portrait grip (with the shutter button on it). Just the battery grip linked is supported on Z5 and Z6 gen 1 as well as second gen Zs.

12-17-2020, 10:00 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's dangerous talk there. Could be love at first sight (through the viewfinder).

FYI you can use the same grip on the Z5 as you can on the Z6

MB-N10 Multi Battery Power Pack | Nikon

Though the Z5 and Z6 don't support the newer portrait grip (with the shutter button on it). Just the battery grip linked is supported on Z5 and Z6 gen 1 as well as second gen Zs.
Interesting. I did a search on Amazon for "Z5 grip" and the MB-N10 didn't come up. Thanks for the link. A usable shutter button on it would be nice, but for me the primary use for the grip is simply comfort and stability with big lenses.
12-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #123
mee
Veteran Member

Interesting. I did a search on Amazon for "Z5 grip" and the MB-N10 didn't come up. Thanks for the link. A usable shutter button on it would be nice, but for me the primary use for the grip is simply comfort and stability with big lenses.
You're welcome. I can relate. I always keep a battery grip on my camera bodies for the same reasons as you do. Wouldn't buy one unless a grip is offered for it!
12-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #124
Pentaxian

Actually, what I need to do is make the 25 mile drive to Unique Photo to see for myself.
Are you going to use your Pentax glass on it on a Z5?

12-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #125
Veteran Member

If these Z camera's get popular we may some day see fully functional converters for almost all types of lenses. Being its a huge mount it could happen. Pentax K to Z exists without electronic contacts for now.
12-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Are you going to use your Pentax glass on it on a Z5?
Some of my older K-mount glass, yes. I would sell off my Pentax DSLR's and DA lenses.

An initial Z5-centric lens lineup for me might look like:

- Nikon 50mm lens
- Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 24-48
- Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 80-200/2.8
- Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300/2.8
- Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 400/4
- Pentax A 400/5.6
- Pentax K 500/4.5
- Tamron SP 90/2.8 Macro (K-mount)

From there I could slowly and cost-consciously find my way in Nikon world, without the pressure of initially spending a large heap o' cash in order to have a useful cache of lenses.
12-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Some of my older K-mount glass, yes. I would sell off my Pentax DSLR's and DA lenses.

- Nikon 50mm lens
- Pentax A 400/5.6
- Pentax K 500/4.5

From there I could slowly and cost-consciously find my way in Nikon world, without the pressure of initially spending a large heap o' cash in order to have a useful cache of lenses.
I would just get the kit with the 24-200. It's not a super zoom of days yonder. This ones very sharp.

12-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I would just get the kit with the 24-200. It's not a super zoom of days yonder. This ones very sharp.
Yes, I've read mostly good things about the 24-200.
12-19-2020, 05:38 PM   #129
mee
Veteran Member

- Nikon 50mm lens
- Pentax A 400/5.6
- Pentax K 500/4.5

Used Z5 bodies in the next month or two should be sub 1000 dollars and easily available. I've already seen a couple around 950 bucks at major online retailers in the used section.

Nikon has/had a 30 day offer where you could buy a Z5 and use it for the 30 days. If you liked it, you kept it. If you didn't, you could return it.

They did the same thing last year for a previous model. After a 2 or 3 months I noticed a fairly nice amount of them on retailer sites in the used and refurb sections.

Point being it should be pretty cheap if you don't mind used. Plus, as you said, you can find an entry point into the Nikon world without having to up front a ton of cash.

I'm on the fence on getting a Z5 and doing something very similar to you -- just get my feet wet with MILC Nikon. Or go full send into a Z6 II this time next year. Will see what the world is like in 3 months.
12-19-2020, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

Used Z5 bodies in the next month or two should be sub 1000 dollars and easily available. I've already seen a couple around 950 bucks at major online retailers in the used section.

Nikon has/had a 30 day offer where you could buy a Z5 and use it for the 30 days. If you liked it, you kept it. If you didn't, you could return it.

They did the same thing last year for a previous model. After a 2 or 3 months I noticed a fairly nice amount of them on retailer sites in the used and refurb sections.

Point being it should be pretty cheap if you don't mind used. Plus, as you said, you can find an entry point into the Nikon world without having to up front a ton of cash.

I'm on the fence on getting a Z5 and doing something very similar to you -- just get my feet wet with MILC Nikon. Or go full send into a Z6 II this time next year. Will see what the world is like in 3 months.
That would be the move to take a dip and see if you like it. You could resell at the same price. I’m finding other than frame rate this Z5 is excellent. Unless you need the video or frame rate I think you’d be quite happy with it.
12-19-2020, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the specs, I'm going to have to think carefully about the 4.5 fps on the Z5... that's about half of what I currently get with the K-3 II, and I usually shoot short bursts with my wildlife stuff. I currently run a 2-camera setup - K-3 II for long tele, K-70 for everything else - so a comaprable setup in Z land would be a Z6 and Z5.

But like you said, need to see what the world is like next year.

Nikon still has the Z5 try-out program you mentioned: Nikon Yellow Program | Worry-Free Z 50 Camera Home Trial
12-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #132
mee
Veteran Member

Yes it does seem like the 'smart' option, money wise. Probably could resell at around the same price if it wasn't for me.

I also have to take in consideration I'll need the battery grip and the FTZ, so there are additional costs.

4.5 fps kind of concerns me too. But in the ~6 months I owned a K-1 (which also had a 4.5 fps burst) I managed to photograph an airshow and was pleased with the shots. It was more of pretending I was a sniper, in a way, in trying to anticipate THE shot and taking a narrow burst around that. So I had to be careful and creative in the technique. Lots of careful anticipating the direction of the aircraft.. and quick reaction timing. I really wish they'd up the rate to at least 6fps. I suspect this is a firmware locked framerate.

Probably not a concern of either of you, but I also am very much looking forward to shooting video on this thing. I hate using the LCD panel on the back, especially in daylight where it becomes next to impossible. Having a viewfinder will be excellent. It also looks like it takes THE best looking 1080p video out of all the MILCs and DSLRs https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z5-review/6 Even better than the Sony and Canons. Not bad.

With all that is going on in the world, a camera might be one of the lesser concerns though in a few months haha.

Last edited by mee; 12-19-2020 at 09:36 PM.
12-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #133
Veteran Member

Yes it does seem like the 'smart' option, money wise. Probably could resell at around the same price if it wasn't for me.

I also have to take in consideration I'll need the battery grip and the FTZ, so there are additional costs.

4.5 fps kind of concerns me too. But in the ~6 months I owned a K-1 (which also had a 4.5 fps burst) I managed to photograph an airshow and was pleased with the shots. It was more of pretending I was a sniper, in a way, in trying to anticipate THE shot and taking a narrow burst around that. So I had to be careful and creative in the technique. Lots of careful anticipating the direction of the aircraft.. and quick reaction timing. I really wish they'd up the rate to at least 6fps. I suspect this is a firmware locked framerate.

Probably not a concern of either of you, but I also am very much looking forward to shooting video on this thing. I hate using the LCD panel on the back, especially in daylight where it becomes next to impossible. Having a viewfinder will be excellent. It also looks like it takes THE best looking 1080p video out of all the MILCs and DSLRs https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z5-review/6 Even better than the Sony and Canons. Not bad.

With all that is going on in the world, a camera might be one of the lesser concerns though in a few months haha.
No I plan on using it for video as well. The way Nikon setup the easy flip between photo/video and it remembers the settings independently was a a factor. I wasn't concerned with the crop factor so much as if I'm using 4k I'll probably be using my Iphone 12 at wide angles because it had Dolby Vision HDR 4k built into it. So I'll be using telephoto on the Z5 for longer focal lengths in 4k anyway. I have a external sound recorder if I want really good audio as well and wouldn't use the on camera audio in that case. I also have no problem just using 1080P many times to keep the file sizes reasonable. That's what I'd do on a long trip anyway. Good 1080P looks the same as 4k at most typical viewing distances anyway. I know I can't see the difference from 11 feet on my couch between the two. The 1080P on the Z5 looks great.

As for 4.5fps I just took some time to think back how often I "needed" to have more than that and it's just a small portion of shooting situations. Most of the time 4.5 will be enough. I do wish that Nikon had capped that at 8 FPS that would have been a better limit. But I suspect it would have dropped Z6 sales. As it stands they built a really high-quality camera with just that limitation for 1199. That's a deal Imo.

I the 4.5 or 4k ever bothers me much I'll just sell if for the few hundred loss and get a Z6ii or Z7ii later down the line. For now I'm completely satisfied with the camera. And it feels good to have saved some money. I don't miss the top screen whatsoever and I prefer the unlocked dial on the right side, it's just much easier to use there.

I don't think the BSI sensor is a deal breaker at all. If you use ISO above 51000 then I guess it would be worth it for the 1/2 or 2/3rd stop of ISO in those very high ranges. But the FSI sensor in this Z5 actually does a little better in DR at low ISO, so there's that to consider. ISO looks very clean up to 12800 where I typically use it.

One other consideration that swayed me and I don't know if it's a factor for you. I use my iPhone or iPad for a lot of my editing so it's important to be able to use the SD card readers with those. I could have just used the SD slot with the Z6ii, but it's slow so would have limited the burst ability. The Z6 would have been a problem for readers for travel for me with the XQD/Compactflash. Plus the expense of buying those cards readers vs SD that i already have. That was part of the Z5 decision.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 12-22-2020 at 06:55 AM.
12-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Looks like these are just what the originals obviously should have been in the first place. Good to see the Nikon mirrorless plan getting on track (at least for FF).
12-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Looks like these are just what the originals obviously should have been in the first place. Good to see the Nikon mirrorless plan getting on track (at least for FF).
At/under 2000 they're pretty competitive right now I think. Sony claims more lenses but in reality Canon and Nikon can use any of the hundreds of current lenses for EF and F mount in addition to RF and Z mount better than sony can with adapters. And those Z and RF lines are catching up really fast to Sony, as well as third party support coming this year. Sony is definitely going to shrink in market share a bit and we'll probably see them number 3 again or very close with Nikon. In overall sales last year Canon was by far the number 1 spot and Nikon number 2 overall by a small margin to Sony. I think as those Nikon DSLR users migrate that will show in mirrorless market share versus Sony. It's the reality of trying to pry D850 and D500 owners away from those already excellent camera's to something that really does the same thing that's slowing that process to a crawl. So we will probably need a good Z8 or 9 that definitively outperforms the D850 before the real migration begins. And it looks like they're bringing that in the coming year.