Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I was originally a Pentax shooter and still have a couple of camera bodies (K20D and K-5) and quite a few K mount lenses, mostly for APS-C (incl. DA 15 21 40 70 mm Ltd). But for many years I have been shooting mainly with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk I for two reasons: weight and AF.

While Pentax makes DSLR bodies that are light compared to most other brands, there is still a significant weight difference to carry around compared to the MFT system. Second, I have never been quite happy with Pentax AF. Even AF-S has never been very reliable on any of my Pentax bodies (K200D, K20D, K-x, K-5). I am sure users tell me it is much better in more current bodies and I have no doubt. But all the same, it is year 2020 and many users aren't happy with the AF of even the latest models.
For my MFT, I have a small semi-decent lens collection (Olympus 12-40 mm f/2.8 Pro, Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8, PanaLeica 25 mm f/1.4 and Olympus 45 mm f/1.8). As my E-M5 is already a bit older and has seen some action, I have been thinking about upgrading. But now with this JIP sell, I am hesitant to spend any more money in MFT as I see this as the beginning of the end of MFT. And frankly, I think that the time for MFT has gone. MFT used to be a great compromise between IQ and camera weight/size/price. APS-C cameras were bigger, not to mention FF. But this has changed. There are now FF cameras about the same size as my E-M5. Admittedly many lenses are significantly bigger, but not all. In today's situation I would certainly not buy into MFT if I was starting from scratch. I think that over the years Olympus lost its way. In stead of keeping to making great compact cameras they started making huge pro models which are bigger than many FF cameras and cost up to $3000.

Selling my current gear and starting over is not an option (for I would not get much money from them and I really really really hate selling stuff). So now I am thinking of two main possibilities and a third different one:

A) I'll buy one of the last OM-Ds (probably an E-M5 Mk III) and keep shooting with it until it dies. But as camera IQ in general gets better year after year, I wonder how long would I be happy with a new E-M5.

B) I'll return to actively using a Pentax and will finally buy the long awaited FF camera. The problem is that I don't really have a great lens collection for this. While my DA 40 and 70 could apparently be used with some vignetting and I also have an FA 50 f/1.4, a DFA 100 mm WR, a Sigma 24-80 mm f/2.8 HSM and a DA 55-300, this is by no means a great full frame lens collection. And buying a K-1, I would not be willing to spend a lot on new lenses. I am sure some will say why not get a modern APS-C body like a KP (or Knew), but I am not tempted. While I am sure they're in every way better than my K-5, I just don't feel the desire to buy yet another APS-C body with its sensor short comings.

C) My third option is just waiting to see where all this camera business turbulence takes us and meanwhile stick to mainly using my Ricoh GR II. The thing is that as camera sales go down year after year and now there's this pandemic to complicate things further, I am not sure which camera companies will be around in a few years to begin with. Canon and Sony?

So, what do you folks say of these thoughts and ponderings?
I find the Pentax KP to be totally satisfactorily in every respect, from landscapes to photographing speeding trains.
I see no "sensor" shortcomings, and I really suspect any MFT body would not come anywhere close.

11-06-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

The best option is to probably wait at this point in time.

For Pentax the K-33 is coming and will likely have best in class APS-C sensor and that will also likely be very close in performance to full frame as the sensors seem to have hit the wall for gains. It it improves AF-C performance to modern standards that would be excellent as well.

For Olympus, I would wait and see what JIP does before investing any more money into M43, Panasonic too for that matter as they seem to be going for full frame at this point.

For Nikon/Canon/Sony

Mirrorless wars are full steam ahead and Nikon in particular may bleed out. At any rate those camera’s are going to get refreshed fast as they compete and waiting a bit until the dust settles means you’ll get more features and performance anyway. Who knows if Canon and Nikon will continue on with DSLR alongside mirrorless. I suspect they will at least refresh models like the D850 with mirrorless features on the live view like they did with the D780.

Fuji is Fuji and will continue on with the analog feeling controls and if that feels good it’s a great brand to go with. Or just get an X100 series and enjoy the 35mm rangefinder experience.

I have an OMD and really it still focuses fast and the 16mp images still look great. The EVF is still 2.36m dots which is still what Sony has in the A7iii (although magnified) so I’m finding it fits the mirrorless bill for now. At some point I’ll probably pickup a Nikon Z camera for the IBIS/Sync features more than anything but I’m in no rush. It would be nice to see Canon and Nikon’s lens lineups mature before making that decision. And they may just continue on with support for SLR anyone so who knows. I like the direction the D780 went in offering the mirrorless advantages through the liveview with the dual AF systems. Honestly I’d rather have Optical/EVF combo in a DSLR form factor personally as I prefer that on my X100. Best of both worlds.
11-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
The best option is to probably wait at this point in time.

For Pentax the K-33 is coming and will likely have best in class APS-C sensor and that will also likely be very close in performance to full frame as the sensors seem to have hit the wall for gains. It it improves AF-C performance to modern standards that would be excellent as well.

For Olympus, I would wait and see what JIP does before investing any more money into M43, Panasonic too for that matter as they seem to be going for full frame at this point.
I think it's also okay to get micro 4/3 gear if you don't care about selling it afterwards. Usually I just get gear to use it up. In fact I'm thinking of getting a micro 4/3 camera for video later if my video foray has some success.
11-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I think it's also okay to get micro 4/3 gear if you don't care about selling it afterwards. Usually I just get gear to use it up. In fact I'm thinking of getting a micro 4/3 camera for video later if my video foray has some success.
If it’s not something you want to grow 5 years down the line then I’d say go for it. They’re fun camera’s to use and the EM10/5 series are super compact.

Live bulb and Live composite are also super useful modes i wish other brands had.