Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2020, 04:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Wondering where to go camera-wise (especially re: MFT)

I was originally a Pentax shooter and still have a couple of camera bodies (K20D and K-5) and quite a few K mount lenses, mostly for APS-C (incl. DA 15 21 40 70 mm Ltd). But for many years I have been shooting mainly with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mk I for two reasons: weight and AF.

While Pentax makes DSLR bodies that are light compared to most other brands, there is still a significant weight difference to carry around compared to the MFT system. Second, I have never been quite happy with Pentax AF. Even AF-S has never been very reliable on any of my Pentax bodies (K200D, K20D, K-x, K-5). I am sure users tell me it is much better in more current bodies and I have no doubt. But all the same, it is year 2020 and many users aren't happy with the AF of even the latest models.

For my MFT, I have a small semi-decent lens collection (Olympus 12-40 mm f/2.8 Pro, Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8, PanaLeica 25 mm f/1.4 and Olympus 45 mm f/1.8). As my E-M5 is already a bit older and has seen some action, I have been thinking about upgrading. But now with this JIP sell, I am hesitant to spend any more money in MFT as I see this as the beginning of the end of MFT. And frankly, I think that the time for MFT has gone. MFT used to be a great compromise between IQ and camera weight/size/price. APS-C cameras were bigger, not to mention FF. But this has changed. There are now FF cameras about the same size as my E-M5. Admittedly many lenses are significantly bigger, but not all. In today's situation I would certainly not buy into MFT if I was starting from scratch. I think that over the years Olympus lost its way. In stead of keeping to making great compact cameras they started making huge pro models which are bigger than many FF cameras and cost up to $3000.

Selling my current gear and starting over is not an option (for I would not get much money from them and I really really really hate selling stuff). So now I am thinking of two main possibilities and a third different one:

A) I'll buy one of the last OM-Ds (probably an E-M5 Mk III) and keep shooting with it until it dies. But as camera IQ in general gets better year after year, I wonder how long would I be happy with a new E-M5.

B) I'll return to actively using a Pentax and will finally buy the long awaited FF camera. The problem is that I don't really have a great lens collection for this. While my DA 40 and 70 could apparently be used with some vignetting and I also have an FA 50 f/1.4, a DFA 100 mm WR, a Sigma 24-80 mm f/2.8 HSM and a DA 55-300, this is by no means a great full frame lens collection. And buying a K-1, I would not be willing to spend a lot on new lenses. I am sure some will say why not get a modern APS-C body like a KP (or Knew), but I am not tempted. While I am sure they're in every way better than my K-5, I just don't feel the desire to buy yet another APS-C body with its sensor short comings.

C) My third option is just waiting to see where all this camera business turbulence takes us and meanwhile stick to mainly using my Ricoh GR II. The thing is that as camera sales go down year after year and now there's this pandemic to complicate things further, I am not sure which camera companies will be around in a few years to begin with. Canon and Sony?

So, what do you folks say of these thoughts and ponderings?

Last edited by Raffwal; 10-10-2020 at 04:15 AM.
10-10-2020, 05:17 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy what you have, buy what you want and use it to the fullest.
10-10-2020, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would not recommend any equipment for you, but instead you should just keep shooting with your Olympus. You really seem more interested in the future of the manufacturers than your photography. You also state that you use MFT because Pentax APS-C was to big to carry around, yet now you want full frame, that just tells me you are not happy with your Olympus output, or is it that you are just bored with it? You really sound conflicted with what you want in camera gear. Obviously you want faster autofocus, don’t get caught up in reviews, a slight difference in speed can sound like a big difference in a review, nobody sells a bad camera, they just have different strengths, which often are over exaggerated in reviews. I had a Sony a6000 for a while, it was billed as the fastest autofocus camera when it came out, it was not that much faster than my K-50. AF speed is often more in the lenses anyway, the old 55-300 like yours is dreadfully slow, but the new PLM version is very fast. If you do change systems, or if you don’t, you should get rid of the gear you don’t use, yea it’s a hassle to sell it, but why keep what you don’t like or want. If that’s too much there are companies that will buy or trade for it, but you will lose a lot of value that way. What I did not see is what you shoot.
10-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would not recommend any equipment for you, but instead you should just keep shooting with your Olympus. You really seem more interested in the future of the manufacturers than your photography. You also state that you use MFT because Pentax APS-C was to big to carry around, yet now you want full frame, that just tells me you are not happy with your Olympus output, or is it that you are just bored with it? You really sound conflicted with what you want in camera gear. Obviously you want faster autofocus, don’t get caught up in reviews, a slight difference in speed can sound like a big difference in a review, nobody sells a bad camera, they just have different strengths, which often are over exaggerated in reviews. I had a Sony a6000 for a while, it was billed as the fastest autofocus camera when it came out, it was not that much faster than my K-50. AF speed is often more in the lenses anyway, the old 55-300 like yours is dreadfully slow, but the new PLM version is very fast. If you do change systems, or if you don’t, you should get rid of the gear you don’t use, yea it’s a hassle to sell it, but why keep what you don’t like or want. If that’s too much there are companies that will buy or trade for it, but you will lose a lot of value that way. What I did not see is what you shoot.
Tom, good points. I realize this may sound a little contradicted. But as my K-5 did not have a much better IQ - if any - than my E-M5, I was not willing to carry the heavier camera. And while Pentax AF can be very slow and loud, especially with screw AF lenses, my problem was always with the accuracy of AF. Even after lens calibration it has always been a hit and miss experience. But if a FF K-1 gives me a much better IQ and low light performance, I might be willing to carry the heavier camera.

It could be that I am a bit bored with the Olympus (or have GAS), but also it is my only MFT body and I don't think they'll be around much longer. So I have to sooner or later decide whether to get a new one or not. I actually once even dropped the camera (luckily with the kit zoom) to the concrete floor from 1 m but it has so far been working OK.

But as camera tech and IQ goes further, I think many of us always lust for the newer and better in stead of the camera that was good 10 years ago.

Last edited by Raffwal; 10-10-2020 at 05:51 AM.
10-10-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I have never been quite happy with Pentax AF. Even AF-S has never been very reliable on any of my Pentax bodies (K200D, K20D, K-x, K-5). I am sure users tell me it is much better in more current bodies and I have no doubt. But all the same, it is year 2020 and many users aren't happy with the AF of even the latest models.
What were you shooting when you found Pentax AF unreliable? Were you choosing appropriate targets for the PDAF? Pentax AF-C isn't as powerful as some competitors, it's true, but AF-S works extremely well - if it's used properly, AF fine tune has been correctly set for each lens, and the PDAF sensor is clean. I get reliable AF-S on all my Pentax cameras going right back to the *ist DL - so long as I provide it with a suitable target and enough light.

Selling my current gear and starting over is not an option (for I would not get much money from them and I really really really hate selling stuff). So now I am thinking of two main possibilities and a third different one:

A) I'll buy one of the last OM-Ds (probably an E-M5 Mk III) and keep shooting with it until it dies. But as camera IQ in general gets better year after year, I wonder how long would I be happy with a new E-M5.
If you're happy with the image quality from a camera today, there's no reason why you shouldn't be equally happy with it in five or ten years time, regardless of what other cameras can offer by then. There's a tendency with some of us to constantly chase the best possible image quality with the latest and greatest gear, but most of us don't actually need it. I have the K-3 and K-3II, both of which offer excellent image quality and decent high ISO capability from their 24MP CMOS sensors... but I frequently choose to shoot a 2006-vintage Samsung GX-10, with a 10MP CCD sensor and maximum ISO of 1600 (really only good from ISO 100 - 400). For much of my photography, the lower resolution, more limited high ISO capabilities and lower dynamic range really don't matter.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-10-2020 at 11:45 AM.
10-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I get reliable AF-S on all my Pentax cameras going right back to the *ist DL - so long as I provide it with a suitable target and enough light.
Well, the thing is that we may not want to take pictures only in sunshine and of zebras.

Last edited by Raffwal; 10-10-2020 at 10:07 AM.
10-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Olympus isn't shutting down, just changing owners and name. I believe it's going to be OM now. You also have Panasonic m4/3. So you can keep your lite gear going.

10-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Olympus isn't shutting down, just changing owners and name. I believe it's going to be OM now. You also have Panasonic m4/3. So you can keep your lite gear going.
Yes, that is what they say officially but I'm not too confident. Panasonic is investing in L mount so they may not produce m43 forever. And while JIP is officially saying they'll go on with camera production, it is all about making the company profitable and if they can't do it, that's it.
10-10-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestions as someone with both m43 and Pentax gear:

Rumors and predictions of demise are not worth working yourself up over.

Either get the updated Olympus body, or look at the KP. It is much smaller than the K1 and fits your requirements. The iq should be excellent and all your lenses you own for Pentax would fit. Or do both for less money than switching systems.

If you're just not going to be happy unless you're with a brands with a better predicted future, then look at Fuji.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-11-2020 at 07:46 PM.
10-10-2020, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the thing is that we may not want take pictures only in sunshine and of zebras.
Well, it appears you definitely have your mind made up about Pentax. I've shot Canon, Nikon, and have been with Pentax for years. A big majority of my photos are of animals, and birds. I've not seen any shortcomings in using Pentax. It sounds like you want to be convinced to go back to Pentax, when in the back of your mind; you feel you won't be satisfied.

I'd also say stick to what you now have, and like; and get out and start shooting.
10-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
It sounds like you want to be convinced to go back to Pentax, when in the back of your mind; you feel you won't be satisfied.
You may be right. On the other hand I'd like to finally get the FF camera that I used to dream of before I started using MFT. But due to my experience with the AF of older models makes my afraid I'd be disappointed with it. Again.
10-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #12

If you are planning to switch from Olympus to another system, why not consider Nikon/Sony/Canon/Fuji instead of pentax, if you move over to sony/canon you won't have to worry about your manufacturer dying out too soon. And pentax also is not as quick as other manufacturers to come out with the latest and greatest techs in video and mirrorless, so if latest tech and improvements are what you are after you should consider switching to Nikon/Sony/Canon/Fuji as an option as well
10-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
... why not consider Nikon/Sony/Canon/Fuji instead of pentax, if you move over to sony/canon ...
That is what I'd do if I was starting from scratch. Sony probably. But getting both a new body and even a couple of decent lenses at this point is a bit steep.
10-10-2020, 10:05 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the thing is that we may not want take pictures only in sunshine and of zebras.
For sure... but when we're not taking photos of zebras in the sunshine and our subject and/or lighting is trickier, we have to meet the camera half way and provide it with a suitable target. PDAF is clever, but it can't perform miracles... we can't just point the camera at any old thing and expect AF to work perfectly every time. PDAF needs a certain amount of light and clearly-defined, contrasting elements in the target to work effectively. Instead of a zebra, imagine you're photographing a white horse... if you place a single AF point over the white coat, the camera will have an awfully hard time determining accurate focus. Instead, you might focus on its eye, the base of its ear, or mouth, where there's a clear contrast between that and the white coat. This is an extreme and obvious example, of course, but in any subject there are usually those elements that are suitable as AF targets, and those that simply aren't.

I'm quite convinced that a number of folks having AF problems don't actually know how to use it properly. That was certainly the case for me when I first got into photography...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-10-2020 at 12:33 PM.
10-10-2020, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think micro four thirds will be around for quite awhile. Olympus may have a lot more time between their releases, but I don't think they are closing up for good at this point. Panasonic is still around as well and will continue to release new cameras for mFT, albeit on a bit spaced out schedule as well. And odds are pretty good that there will be generic Chinese brands that start to make mFTs cameras as well.

If you are happy with what you shoot now, keep going with it and don't worry so much about the future of a particular brand name.

I will say that Pentax continues to move forward and the K-1 has been a very satisfying camera to shoot. I doubt it is the sort of camera you would enjoy shooting, though, because it is not small, nor are the lenses for it small. If you thought that the K5 was big, then a K-1 is much too large for you to enjoy.