Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,107
CANON closing in on $ony(in Japan)



FF mirrorless.

The latest BCN figures show Canon rising and $ony dropping.BCN surveys the major camera sellers in Japan.This covers 40/50% of the market there.

Canon's Market Share Spikes in Japan, Threatens to Overtake Sony

10-27-2020, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,548
I suspect a lot of Canon mirrorless sales are from existing Canon users either adding or switching to the mirrorless platform. Also, there's a portion of the photography community that simply has a downer on Sony (often for similarly silly and/or baseless reasons and prejudices to those who discount Pentax), so an offering from the biggest "real" camera company in the world is bound to be attractive. Lastly, there's the "shiny new thing" aspect... Whilst Sony continues to release new (usually excellent) cameras, the DNA is quite old - or it can look and feel that way, at least. Canon's mirrorless offerings are still very new, and exciting to some for that very reason. I think that's especially true where glass is concerned. Sony's lens catalogue is mature in breadth and age... Canon's mirrorless lenses are the latest "thing"; though it's fair to say the excitement isn't without substance. They have some interesting glass...
10-27-2020, 02:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,107
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They have


The existing stuff is tip of the iceberg(yes I exaggerated),another 16 on the radar by the end of 2021.At both ends of the scale.A 1200mm big bertha(if ya own a bank).Some of the patents are duplications of the EF big whites as well as
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
some interesting glass.


---------- Post added 10-27-20 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sony continues to release new (usually excellent) cameras,
A7 lV should come soon too with the new menu.

Considering $ony invented the segment they have been slow to fix all the negatives that attract the complainers.I like that they have introduced the compact FF,A7c.It will become popular due to the size.10 points for innovation!
10-27-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,600
Canon has made the transition for its SLR shooters as seamless as possible and they have a large number of lenses available in the SLR EOS line up. Add to that the fact that they have decided to make interesting glass (f2 zooms, smaller 70-200 f2.8, etc) and you can see why they've made a bit of a splash.

Sony all the way along as seemed focus on replicating the SLR experience with a little thinner cameras that have EVFs. I think some of it has to do with the the FE mount not having a large enough diameter to be able to design some of these faster aperture lenses for it. I am sure overall Sony will be fine, but they are no longer the only full frame MILC player and they will need to think about what that means going forward to maintain their edge.

10-27-2020, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,174
Market share doesn't say a lot by itself. Is it Sony's sales dropping? Is it Canon converting DSLR users and therefore increasing the FF MILC total market? How dire are Nikon's straits in reality? It seems they are a bit behind on the moving picture front, but maintining market share means different things depending on the market size variation... Although I certainly don't see Z cameras on every street, far from it in fact.
10-27-2020, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,600
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Market share doesn't say a lot by itself. Is it Sony's sales dropping? Is it Canon converting DSLR users and therefore increasing the FF MILC total market? How dire are Nikon's straits in reality? It seems they are a bit behind on the moving picture front, but maintining market share means different things depending on the market size variation... Although I certainly don't see Z cameras on every street, far from it in fact.
I think Canon has said that they feel that people are just replacing SLR purchases with MILC purchases. I guess the question to me is how many of these "Spam-tastic" new lenses they are selling to their users. Because if most people are just purchasing EOS-R cameras to mount their old EOS lenses on with an adapter, then the move is not terribly beneficial to Canon. On the other hand, if most EOS-R purchasers eventually get one or two lenses for that mount, then it probably helps their bottom line in a way a that a 5D MK V release probably wouldn't.
10-27-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,501
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suspect a lot of Canon mirrorless sales are from existing Canon users either adding or switching to the mirrorless platform. Also, there's a portion of the photography community that simply has a downer on Sony (often for similarly silly and/or baseless reasons and prejudices to those who discount Pentax), so an offering from the biggest "real" camera company in the world is bound to be attractive. Lastly, there's the "shiny new thing" aspect... Whilst Sony continues to release new (usually excellent) cameras, the DNA is quite old - or it can look and feel that way, at least. Canon's mirrorless offerings are still very new, and exciting to some for that very reason. I think that's especially true where glass is concerned. Sony's lens catalogue is mature in breadth and age... Canon's mirrorless lenses are the latest "thing"; though it's fair to say the excitement isn't without substance. They have some interesting glass...
Sony does feature excellent focusing.
10-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,501
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suspect a lot of Canon mirrorless sales are from existing Canon users either adding or switching to the mirrorless platform. Also, there's a portion of the photography community that simply has a downer on Sony (often for similarly silly and/or baseless reasons and prejudices to those who discount Pentax), so an offering from the biggest "real" camera company in the world is bound to be attractive. Lastly, there's the "shiny new thing" aspect... Whilst Sony continues to release new (usually excellent) cameras, the DNA is quite old - or it can look and feel that way, at least. Canon's mirrorless offerings are still very new, and exciting to some for that very reason. I think that's especially true where glass is concerned. Sony's lens catalogue is mature in breadth and age... Canon's mirrorless lenses are the latest "thing"; though it's fair to say the excitement isn't without substance. They have some interesting glass...
Canon is now benefiting from their decision in 1985 to 'abandon' the "FD" mount to go with their then-new "EF" mount.
Unlike their competitors, all their "FF" AF lenses {and they have many good ones} are usable on their MILC cameras.


Last edited by reh321; 10-27-2020 at 09:32 AM.
10-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,107
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
all their "FF" AF lenses {and they have many good ones} are usable on their MILC cameras.
As well as all their crop AF lenses(EFs).

---------- Post added 10-28-20 at 05:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
if most people are just purchasing EOS-R cameras to mount their old EOS lenses on with an adapter, then the move is not terribly beneficial to Canon. On the other hand, if most EOS-R purchasers eventually get one or two lenses for that mount, then it probably helps their bottom line
Yes,there are some that are only using the EF/s glass but others who have sold all previous gear and gone completely RF.Mostly though,I read that the majority of users have native and adapted.

The people who have sold other systems to join RF usually just buy native unless there isnt a RF available in the desired FL or speed.
10-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
KiloHotelphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Glen Mills, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 785
I picked up the R5 this past weekend and it’s pretty amazing. The autofocus is better than my 1DX2 I think but still need to shoot it some more. It definitely has more coverage with just about the entire frame and the animal eye af is impressive, not perfect but better than anything else I’ve shot.

I’m just using adapted EF lenses now but will not buy another one. I would like to pick up a RF mount lens but will probably wait until after the new year. The 28-70 F2 is tempting but I think the 85 1.2 will be my first.

A lot of the RF L lenses are sold out right now, or at least this past weekend they were.
10-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,107
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I picked up the R5 this past weekend and it’s pretty amazing.
its been in short supply, I'll wait till theres plenty and the early price drops a bit;

I adapt to my RP a few EF Ls,a few primes some big zooms...they work well.

My RF lenses are the 35 f1.8 when im indoors and the 24-240 for outdoors.Will look at the 600/800 down the track.
10-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,501
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,there are some that are only using the EF/s glass but others who have sold all previous gear and gone completely RF.Mostly though,I read that the majority of users have native and adapted.

The people who have sold other systems to join RF usually just buy native unless there isnt a RF available in the desired FL or speed.
The benefit is that current users of DSLR systems can use their current EF collection of lenses, and only purchase RF lenses as their budget allows,
so they can purchase an RF system with less strain on their budget than would be the case if they had to purchase a whole new collection from scratch.
10-27-2020, 09:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,107
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The benefit is that current users of DSLR systems can use their current EF collection of lenses, and only purchase RF lenses as their budget allows,
so they can purchase an RF system with less strain on their budget than would be the case if they had to purchase a whole new collection from scratch.
Its an easy transition, they started with 3 adapters whjch all work seamlessly.Others are developing and there are 3rd parties as well.

Canon will release a few more budget lenses in the next year or so too.plasticFantastic 50f1.8 is one.

In recent days theres been whispers of a Apsc RF body,its been rumored a longtime but apparently its coming.
10-28-2020, 04:18 AM   #14
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,501
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
As well as all their crop AF lenses(EFs).

---------- Post added 10-28-20 at 05:44 AM ----------



Yes,there are some that are only using the EF/s glass but others who have sold all previous gear and gone completely RF.Mostly though,I read that the majority of users have native and adapted.

The people who have sold other systems to join RF usually just buy native unless there isnt a RF available in the desired FL or speed.
Canon users are just like Pentax users; in fact, I was a Canon user six years ago; the more they spend on bodies, the less they can spend on lenses.
The saying I hear so much of - “glass is forever” - is no more or less true for them. For example, I am the owner of something like seven 50mm K-mount lenses - but I do not use any of them regularly, because none of them is AF .... but I could.
In the case of Canon, all of the EF-Mount lenses are AF {EF/usm is the reason I became a Canon user}, so some other reason has to be the reason to purchase RF- mount lenses, and that reason has to be enough to get users to separate from their hard-earned cash.
10-28-2020, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian
LeeRunge's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northern Alabama
Posts: 527
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I picked up the R5 this past weekend and it’s pretty amazing. The autofocus is better than my 1DX2 I think but still need to shoot it some more. It definitely has more coverage with just about the entire frame and the animal eye af is impressive, not perfect but better than anything else I’ve shot.

I’m just using adapted EF lenses now but will not buy another one. I would like to pick up a RF mount lens but will probably wait until after the new year. The 28-70 F2 is tempting but I think the 85 1.2 will be my first.

A lot of the RF L lenses are sold out right now, or at least this past weekend they were.
The R5 is what I'm honed in on right now if I decide to jump to mirrorless. I feel like this will come down to a Sony/Canon market as the dominant players.

The image stabilization is nuts on that R5. Also I find the 800 F11 a weird but actually cool lens and not expensive by telephoto standards. With what? IBIS at 8 stops of stabilization! that makes F11 not so bad.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-28-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, cameras, canon, japan, lenses, market, people, rf
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
$ony A7 Compact FF surfar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-28-2020 04:45 PM
$$$ony loses major client. surfar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 20 08-20-2019 10:52 PM
Those sweet little pussycat eyes(are in focus)$$$ony. surfar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 04-11-2019 06:00 PM
$$$ony A7000? surfar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 10 12-30-2018 12:32 PM
Hoya Closing Japan Pentax Factory - The end of the FA Limiteds? loafer Pentax News and Rumors 72 09-20-2009 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top