Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am following your progress from afar. An A7II or A7III has been on my "if I ever see one cheap" list for some time. Yes, 24 Mpx is enough pickles for me.

Steve
Honestly Steve - I personally don't know if I would have picked a 42mp FF camera for myself but this was Dad's doing. He found a guy near him that was selling the camera on Craigslist. It was a former studio camera - I need to check shutter count come to think of it - and had upgraded to the A7R4 and had an A7R3 backup so this had to go. Where the 28 and 85 came from I'm not sure. But the 24-105 is a loaner from the same guy who had the A7R2.

In any case it is an interesting journey. Dad would never have gotten it for me if I hadn't made an idle chit chat comment about the Monster Adapter... so here I am. LOL

I have enough set aside for a K3iii and had thought that was going to be the next purchase. It may still be my next Pentax... who knows. In the meantime I'm having a lot of fun trying to figure out how to use this dang thing. I was stoked that the sources online suggested that the Dine (Sunpak really) was a fairly low voltage device. Some say 4.4v - but in any case it works well with the Sony. Fully manual or light sensing auto - but that's hard to pull off with macro.

Here's a picture of the gear - I never noticed until now that the A7RII isn't on the front - they just put A7R on the front. The rear is where it shows the full name.

12-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice teeth! Dr. Dine would be very pleased!
LOL - I didn't think about the teeth! Nice to put that together. That was the first shot with this camera/lens/flash combo. How apropos.

It works well enough to allow me to avoid actual sensor cleaning for almost 14 years.
You are luckier than I am. I have had to use the rocket blower some but no wet cleaning or gummy sticks so far on my Pentax cameras (nor m43 for that matter).
03-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought I would revisit this thread to give an update.

First, I bought a KP.

Second, I have been not great about getting out and shooting much due to various factors.

Third, I saw a nice conjunction of clouds and sky tonight. I had just gotten dinner (take out) and I had to go in and grab a bite knowing the sky was moving towards boring. (I know my priorities were backwards, but my wife would have been lonely. ) so I ate quickly and ran upstairs to get a camera. I briefly toyed with grabbing the Sony A7rII and my FA 31 but the KP was calling. So the DA* 16-50 and the HD 20-40 were popped into a small bag and I grabbed a big tripod.

I grabbed the KP for several reasons. 1) Iím more familiar with Pentax than Sony. Even with the change in menus from the K-3. 2) My Pentax lens collection is more familiar to me on apsc than full frame. I have nothing full frame that will work on the Sony at 24mm perspective other than the 24-105 f4 and perhaps the DA 12-24 or DA 10-17 in a few focal lengths.

I do need to try the A7rII in similar circumstances and try it more. But I really love my KP.