Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am following your progress from afar. An A7II or A7III has been on my "if I ever see one cheap" list for some time. Yes, 24 Mpx is enough pickles for me.

Steve
Honestly Steve - I personally don't know if I would have picked a 42mp FF camera for myself but this was Dad's doing. He found a guy near him that was selling the camera on Craigslist. It was a former studio camera - I need to check shutter count come to think of it - and had upgraded to the A7R4 and had an A7R3 backup so this had to go. Where the 28 and 85 came from I'm not sure. But the 24-105 is a loaner from the same guy who had the A7R2.

In any case it is an interesting journey. Dad would never have gotten it for me if I hadn't made an idle chit chat comment about the Monster Adapter... so here I am. LOL

I have enough set aside for a K3iii and had thought that was going to be the next purchase. It may still be my next Pentax... who knows. In the meantime I'm having a lot of fun trying to figure out how to use this dang thing. I was stoked that the sources online suggested that the Dine (Sunpak really) was a fairly low voltage device. Some say 4.4v - but in any case it works well with the Sony. Fully manual or light sensing auto - but that's hard to pull off with macro.

Here's a picture of the gear - I never noticed until now that the A7RII isn't on the front - they just put A7R on the front. The rear is where it shows the full name.

12-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice teeth! Dr. Dine would be very pleased!
LOL - I didn't think about the teeth! Nice to put that together. That was the first shot with this camera/lens/flash combo. How apropos.

It works well enough to allow me to avoid actual sensor cleaning for almost 14 years.
You are luckier than I am. I have had to use the rocket blower some but no wet cleaning or gummy sticks so far on my Pentax cameras (nor m43 for that matter).
03-06-2021, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I thought I would revisit this thread to give an update.

First, I bought a KP.

Second, I have been not great about getting out and shooting much due to various factors.

Third, I saw a nice conjunction of clouds and sky tonight. I had just gotten dinner (take out) and I had to go in and grab a bite knowing the sky was moving towards boring. (I know my priorities were backwards, but my wife would have been lonely. ) so I ate quickly and ran upstairs to get a camera. I briefly toyed with grabbing the Sony A7rII and my FA 31 but the KP was calling. So the DA* 16-50 and the HD 20-40 were popped into a small bag and I grabbed a big tripod.

I grabbed the KP for several reasons. 1) Iím more familiar with Pentax than Sony. Even with the change in menus from the K-3. 2) My Pentax lens collection is more familiar to me on apsc than full frame. I have nothing full frame that will work on the Sony at 24mm perspective other than the 24-105 f4 and perhaps the DA 12-24 or DA 10-17 in a few focal lengths.

I do need to try the A7rII in similar circumstances and try it more. But I really love my KP.
06-14-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know this sounds nuts. But my dad wanted the a7rII back - because he gave me an A7rIII that a buddy of his traded him for a rifle.

06-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #65
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I know this sounds nuts. But my dad wanted the a7rII back - because he gave me an A7rIII that a buddy of his traded him for a rifle.
what goes on over there?

(:
06-14-2021, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
what goes on over there?

(:
He has this idea I need this stuff. My KP is plenty of camera. The Sony is nice, but I donít NEED it.

I gave him a 28-70 Sony I bought and heís very happy himself. For now. Heís a bit of a gear head. He doesnít have a lot of money but he also has very little in the way of expenses. So he saves up a few months and he horse trades well also. It is honestly a little embarrassing that he gave me another expensive camera. The first had 20k activations and was in great shape. This new one has under 1500 and looks mint.

His buddy recently bought an A1 replace the A7riii and pair with his A9. His buddy is seriously thinking of getting a second a1. He has a case with both bodies an 85 f1.4, 16-35 f2.8, 24-105 f4, 100-400, 200-600 - heís got about $12k in equipment a briefcase sized case. Crazy how people spend their money.
08-09-2021, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me know if your dad's looking to adopt. I'm a nice boy, rarely get into trouble. :-)

08-10-2021, 02:03 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
Let me know if your dad's looking to adopt. I'm a nice boy, rarely get into trouble. :-)
Lol. Will do.