Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I suppose it may hinge on how well that AF K to E adapter works, at least it would in my case.
Agreed. It could be a real let down but I’m hoping it works well.

12-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nothing new to report on the Sony Front today. It continues to be an adjustment, those infernal menus surface a frustration in me.
12-18-2020, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The good thing about the Sony is that you can always buy an Adapter and smack a Pentax lens on it. I have a Canon system, Pentax system , and a small but growing Nikon system. I like all three for what they do, some have advantages over others.
12-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I like all three for what they do, some have advantages over others.
Yes, thats correct.Its nice to have choice.

12-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
The good thing about the Sony is that you can always buy an Adapter and smack a Pentax lens on it. I have a Canon system, Pentax system , and a small but growing Nikon system. I like all three for what they do, some have advantages over others.
My first love in SLRs was Nikon but I never owned much in the way of lenses since I could borrow almost anything back then. I do get the point however.
12-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today it dawned on me that as I use DXO primarily I’m going to have problems with adapted Pentax lenses correction profiles on Sony in DXO. At least I think I will.

Has anyone tried this using existing manual adapter and editing Exif? Does DXO Select the correct profiles?

Also more broadly, K-1 shooters, do you have correction profiles for use of DA lenses that happen to cover or mostly cover the sensor? For example, is there a DA 60-250 profile for FF use on any commonly available processing software?
12-28-2020, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Who knew that one of the things I took for granted about Pentax was the dust removal system.

The a7rII has a shake stabilization system but no dust removal either at startup or on demand. I’m not saying that the Pentax system works well - I haven’t got a clue how often it has kept me from having to use my rocket blower. But I expect it has reduced the need to clean significantly.

So if you spot dust on my example shots I apologize. I’m still learning.

PS - I also can't find my rocket blower at the moment. I'm moving my home office/hobby room out of the downstairs guest room to the upstairs ex-bedroom of my flown-the-nest daughter. This gives me more space but I haven't spent enough time moving things around to have everything in one place.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-29-2020 at 03:22 PM.
12-29-2020, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

I suspect that there are a lot of things that Pentax users take for granted that are are not available in other systems. For example, being able to process a RAW file in-camera. I don't think that's possible on Sonys, at least most of them.

Pentax cameras are very practical and things we assume are everywhere are glaring omissions on some systems.
12-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I suspect that there are a lot of things that Pentax users take for granted that are are not available in other systems. For example, being able to process a RAW file in-camera. I don't think that's possible on Sonys, at least most of them.

Pentax cameras are very practical and things we assume are everywhere are glaring omissions on some systems.
Lol. True also. I can do it only with external software it appears. I know other brands like Fuji also do this. It seems an odd omission.
12-29-2020, 02:29 PM - 3 Likes   #55
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I thoroughly confused the Fuji forum (not here) when I was trying to figure out how I could get focus confirmation with adapted lenses...
12-29-2020, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sony a7RII has an “on demand” cleaning option accessed via the “Sensor Cleaning Mode”.
Here is a youtube explanation how to do it:

Best regards,
12-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
The Sony a7RII has an “on demand” cleaning option accessed via the “Sensor Cleaning Mode”.
Here is a youtube explanation how to do it: Sony Alpha A7R II | FAQ Tutorial | Sensor Cleaning Mode - YouTube.

Best regards,
I did find it just a few hours ago. Lol. Still less easy than a startup option and it clearly isn’t ultrasonic it reminds me of the older k-50 style dust removal.
12-29-2020, 09:56 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some D FA 100 shots made with Dine Ringflash on Sony.

It ain’t easy being cheesy by -vanya_42nd-

Macro Ringflash Test by -vanya_42nd-

Aperture estimated f8 or f11. Handheld but flash makes that easy.
12-30-2020, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Some D FA 100 shots made with Dine Ringflash on Sony.

It ain’t easy being cheesy by -vanya_42nd-
Nice teeth! Dr. Dine would be very pleased!

I’m not saying that the Pentax system works well - I haven’t got a clue how often it has kept me from having to use my rocket blower.
It works well enough to allow me to avoid actual sensor cleaning for almost 14 years.

Steve
12-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nothing new to report on the Sony Front today. It continues to be an adjustment, those infernal menus surface a frustration in me.
I am following your progress from afar. An A7II or A7III has been on my "if I ever see one cheap" list for some time. Yes, 24 Mpx is enough pickles for me.

Steve