Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 09:16 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Working the automotive primer. It will soon be ready for whatever color is chosen.
White will look like a ghost of a once nice camera.... hmmmm
Nahhhh

Thanks,
Are you going to keep it white and put Moroccan blue leatherette on it?

11-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

Sam, that would look good but I have an idea I'll show you soon. Besides, I only have a small sample of Moroccan blue. Just about a square inch.

Here is some more progress. If you are asking "Why wasting time on a dead body?" I'm asking the same. Let me know if you find the answer.

Masked, sanded and painted the ASA/DIN conversion table in the back door.

While still showing some pitting, I'm happy how the mount and meter ring reacted to the treatment.

Mount face was cleaned, prepped and sanded before applying primer. It also turned really smooth.

Some of the toughest leatherettes I've ever dealt with.

Could not paint today as it was raining. Also hot and humid.

Thanks,
11-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would happily have that rough leatherette. I just brought home an ME that someone replaced the leatherette with poorly cut camo colored felt...
11-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried any of those metal cleaners they used to clean stainless kitchen steel sinks ?

11-16-2020, 12:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Hats off to Ismael on this one, I would have just strip mined it for spares and screws.

Sam...Hugo Studios would hook you up with replacement leather for not much coin.
11-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Mel, I just went and looked at their website....I hate you. I see me spending money with them. :-)
11-16-2020, 04:40 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes Sam, We are a bad influence
I was going to suggest Hugo Studio as well.

Thanks,

11-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

If they do the right leather for the model of camera I prefer Asahi Leather from Japan, the fit and quality was better on my Asahi leather for my XD than the Hugo Studios leather for my X500.

Be wary of replavement leather on the Xxoo series, there are a few booby traps built in.
11-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #39

Progressing nicely I see. I envy your patience and skills
11-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello,

I was sent this poor Minolta SRT 100. It is all corroded, seized and stuck. I honestly don't think it can be saved. I have no idea and zero experience with Minoltas, so this will be a learning experience. That is not dirt. That's corrosion.

Even opening the back was a huge challenge. Need both hands to open. I'm sure that dead bug is not original equipment

Thanks,
lubricate the daylights out of it and re calibrate the shutter springs
11-18-2020, 05:09 PM - 4 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Ladies and Gentlemen... It is Done!

Hello,

I'm waiting for a lens cap and for a small clock that are in transit by mail but it is otherwise done.

The year was 1971: Minolta launched the SRT100 and Chevrolet offered the Mediterranean blue color option. That's the color chosen here.

All Show and No Go

I found a T2 adapter and put a small filter inside for this pic. But I will eventually put a cap with a clock.

No parts were replaced. Everything was restored and or refinished. All screws were polished. All the bright parts were polished back to shine.

I said...

I hope you approve.

Thanks,
11-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ismael, that is one drop dead gorgeous SRT 100 !!!

I want one !!!
11-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Looks like it was stores under the bathroom sink. I would bake it to 180 degrees prior to touching it...
I had a lady who wanted me to look at her computer to see if I could find out why it kept shutting off.
I pulled the screws out of the side cover, cracked it open, then immediately slammed it closed and carried it out to the garage.
It was infested with those small, brown german roaches. They have an affinity for warm places, and had infiltrated the power supply to the point the fan would no longer work.
After bug spraying an area 3 ft wide around the box, and the box, I closed it up, brought it back to her, told her the problem and said I couldn't fix it.

Kirk B.
Man, I have heard of computer bugs but that's ridiculous!

---------- Post added 11-18-20 at 09:42 PM ----------

Thanks!
I started with a little white vinegar to remove any surface rust. Then non-acetone nail polish remover.
Since this is all metal, I went with a wire wheel on the Dremel but very lightly. Barely touching it. Since it looked very promising, that's when I took it fully apart so I could concentrate on each part. Finally Blue Magic metal polish after assembly.
I admit I was surprised on how good it turned out.
Will try now the advance lever.

Thanks,
I am in awe of this restoration. I worked on hundreds of slide projectors but never wanted to tackle a camera.

I wonder if you can tell me which of your treatments, vinegar, nail polish remover or metal polish might be more appropriate for removing corrosion on a half-dozen camera tripods that were under a leaking air conditioning unit. Most if not all of the metal seems to be aluminum . None of it is terribly extensive but there is some on every one of the tripods and my first thought was just to go at it with a low speed drill and a wire brush on it.

Last edited by derekmadge; 11-18-2020 at 07:43 PM.
11-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Wow, that's an interesting-looking SRT. At least it's looking nice, even if it still doesn't work.
11-19-2020, 03:02 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekmadge Quote
I am in awe of this restoration. I worked on hundreds of slide projectors but never wanted to tackle a camera.

I wonder if you can tell me which of your treatments, vinegar, nail polish remover or metal polish might be more appropriate for removing corrosion on a half-dozen camera tripods that were under a leaking air conditioning unit. Most if not all of the metal seems to be aluminum . None of it is terribly extensive but there is some on every one of the tripods and my first thought was just to go at it with a low speed drill and a wire brush on it.
Thanks! Can you post a picture of those? Vinegar is usually used for rust in steel or iron. Maybe some steel wool pads with a metal cleaner may work. It will all depend on the material.

Thanks,