Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have a Panasonic HC-VXF1?

I'm trying to find out if any of the "custom AF" modes help to focus on subjects like a bird in a tree. The "Stable" mode seems like it would work for this: "As it is easier to stabilise focus, the focus remains on the subject you are aiming at even if an obstacle passes in front or if you lose the subject. This is recommended when you don’t want to focus on obstacles or the background". The reason for this is I have an older Panasonic camcorder and the lack of a centre spot AF drives me crazy. It keeps focussing on the background instead of a bird or flower.

11-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'm trying to find out if any of the "custom AF" modes help to focus on subjects like a bird in a tree. The "Stable" mode seems like it would work for this: "As it is easier to stabilise focus, the focus remains on the subject you are aiming at even if an obstacle passes in front or if you lose the subject. This is recommended when you don’t want to focus on obstacles or the background". The reason for this is I have an older Panasonic camcorder and the lack of a centre spot AF drives me crazy. It keeps focussing on the background instead of a bird or flower.
Manual focus is the best way, Rob!
11-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Manual focus is the best way, Rob!
Manual focus on an LCD screen on a bright day with a bird or animal hopping around the place is not very practical. I did try it on the weekend with my camera (I think it's an HDC-750) and discovered that using the flip-out screen instead of the viewfinder, it seems to have live contrast detect AF. Interesting but also a bit of a pain to use when recording wildlife.
11-15-2020, 09:24 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Manual focus on an LCD screen on a bright day with a bird or animal hopping around the place is not very practical. I did try it on the weekend with my camera (I think it's an HDC-750) and discovered that using the flip-out screen instead of the viewfinder, it seems to have live contrast detect AF. Interesting but also a bit of a pain to use when recording wildlife.
That camera has no viewfinder?

If not, a loupe is called for.

If that's still no good, a different camera.

I can tell you, from shooting little birds with branches and twigs around them (as you do, too), manual focus is important.

11-16-2020, 03:02 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That camera has no viewfinder? If not, a loupe is called for. If that's still no good, a different camera. I can tell you, from shooting little birds with branches and twigs around them (as you do, too), manual focus is important.
OK, all that is cool, but I was actually hoping that someone might have had experience with the subject line camera.
11-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, all that is cool, but I was actually hoping that someone might have had experience with the subject line camera.
Very good luck to you on a Pentax forum, Rob!
11-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Very good luck to you on a Pentax forum, Rob!
It is a "Non-Pentax" forum.

11-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a "Non-Pentax" forum.
I think ... just a guess ... that despite your logic ... you're better off posting that in a Panasonic forum.

On another website.

You know what I mean, Rob.

Unless you enjoy long shots.
11-16-2020, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think ... just a guess ... that despite your logic ... you're better off posting that in a Panasonic forum.
I got that. I thought I'd try the long shot first.
11-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I got that. I thought I'd try the long shot first.
Yep, it's possible you are the only forum member who has both a Pentax and that particular old Panasonic camcorder!
11-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep, it's possible you are the only forum member who has both a Pentax and that particular old Panasonic camcorder!
The HC-VXF1 is a current model 4K camcorder. But I have no doubt you're right about the one I have (as opposed to the one I was considering buying)!
11-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The HC-VXF1 is a current model 4K camcorder. But I have no doubt you're right about the one I have (as opposed to the one I was considering buying)!
Yeah, you did say 'older' in the OP.

Anyway, good luck with the queries.