Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Olympussies

When one is not enough!

11-19-2020, 12:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Another vote for Olympuses and what an excellent haul!
My better half has an OM-10 with 50mm f/1.8 and Manual adapter and it produces some lovely photos it has to be said.
11-19-2020, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the plural of octopus is octopodes, so, Olimpodes (O_lim_po_dees) gets my vote
11-19-2020, 03:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I haven't read the article.

When I really think about it, there can only be one answer. The word 'Moose' is both singular and plural for that animal, and so it would be just plain Olympus indicating both singular and plural forms.

11-19-2020, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Well, the plural of octopus is octopodes, so, Olimpodes (O_lim_po_dees) gets my vote
Again, my wife's conclusion based upon the same reasoning.

I really appreciate all the comments. Hopefully by the weekend I will have everything cleaned up and have batteries and seal kits ordered. The po was a super nice guy. I found his add on Craigslist and he lives a good four hour drive from me. I asked him if he would consider shipping them to me and that I would send an electronic payment as soon as he had the shipping figured out. After we talked cameras for awhile he told me he would text me the shipping cost after he dropped them in the mail. He told me to send him a check. He then took the add down, and on Monday morning I received a text with a picture of the postal receipt. He mailed them before getting paid. Needless to say, I dropped the check in the mail an hour later. Nice to know people like that are still around.
11-19-2020, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Again, my wife's conclusion based upon the same reasoning.

(...)
In octopus, 'pus' comes from Ancient Greek πούς (pous), 'foot', genitive ποδος (podos), plural ποδες (podes), hence octopodes. (ὀκτώ (oktō) means eight; ὀκτώπους = the eight-footed one, the one that has eight tentacles.)

Olympus comes from Ancient Greek Όλυμπος (Olimpos) and has nothing to do with a foot. It's a single location, therefore there’s no plural to it. If there was, it would be Όλυμποι (Olimpoi).
11-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #22
Banned

Get three more. Then go with a sixer of Olys. Reasoning that if you drank a six pack of Olympia beer (is it even still around you PNW'ers) you would say "I polished off a sixer of Olys". Hey, it's early, cut me some slack.

11-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
In octopus, 'pus' comes from Ancient Greek πούς (pous), 'foot', genitive ποδος (podos), plural ποδες (podes), hence octopodes. (ὀκτώ (oktō) means eight; ὀκτώπους = the eight-footed one, the one that has eight tentacles.)

Olympus comes from Ancient Greek Όλυμπος (Olimpos) and has nothing to do with a foot. It's a single location, therefore there’s no plural to it. If there was, it would be Όλυμποι (Olimpoi).
Now This is a quality response
11-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You have a lot of Olympus Gear, use it as an adjective.

wow
I agree - I would always follow it by a noun such as "body" or "lens".
11-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The 1.4 lens is a find. Take a look round the web for removing the foam from the prism tops on these. Some OMs had a foam cover on the prism. Its not needed, mine run fine without it, left to its own devices it will turn into an acid tar and desilver the prisms. Its easy enough to get out if your careful.

Canon used the same in some of their pre AE1 cameras. I have an FTb where the degrading foam has started to eat ghe prism retaining bracket, thankfully then foam was over the bracket which had protected the prism. On an OM the foam is UNDER the bracket so needs getting out pronto.
11-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
When I researched common issues, I found lots of references to the foam problem. I plan on looking into these since they have sat so much. That, and I think the advance gears on the OM1 need to be realigned.
11-20-2020, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Heres my two - say 'Hi' to to Olympia (with Zoom lens) and Ophelia (with 1.8 lens)

A friend of mine the the US donated them to me. They have seen some serious use as street cameras and also as astronomy cameras but I think some wear makes these look more beautiful and also makes me think of my original pair which were called Wotan and Freya. Both got a fair bit of braising back in the day and frankly I dont think I would love an OM1 as much if it didn't look a bit worn.

When I got them they both had issues, some of them related to having been out in the dark in places like Alaska for long exposure night sky work. The were both professionally CLA'd. The cameras were sent to me as bodies only so the lenses are not their original glass. I hanker after an f1.2 which is what I had back in the 70s but prices are bonkers. Failing that a nice silver nose 1.4 but prices are those on bonkers too

They both shoot fine, meters work perfectly and whenever I use them they remind me of my youth and what I love photography with film so much.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
11-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice !

I asked the po which one he liked the best. He said while he enjoyed all of them, he used the OM1 the most because it was the first. All of these cameras are well used and could tell many stories. He was an avid backpacker and he told me of one incident he had with the OM1. He and his wife were backpacking in the northern California mountains, and on a rather steep trail he lost his balance and fell over backwards onto his pack. He did not notice that the top of his pack had come open and as he was getting up the OM1 fell out and proceeded to go over the trail edge and down a steep incline. All they could do was watch it bounce down the mountain. He said it looked like one of those pictures of a boulder bouncing down a mountainside. They saw where it stopped, worked their way back and around, opened the hard case(the one in the picture) and found the camera still in working order. Lense did not even get busted. There are a few dings and dents in the top cover and I plan on keeping all of them.
11-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I never really used an OM2, Back then I was too in love with the OM1. Some years later in a moment of madness I splashed out for an OM4 Ti .....it was horrid. Ate batteries, metering was never ever right and always off by a mile. I had it for about two years but never really liked it and sold it in the end.
11-20-2020, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took the bottom cover off and found some old dry grease, I swabbed it out, flushed with IPA, swabbed again until dry. Then lightly oiled the gears. That did not take care of the problem so I lubricated any pivot points I could find and made sure everything was moving freely. I kept hearing this friction noise on the part that was causing the problem. I thought it was a weak spring at first but after closer scrutiny I found it was rubbing on a part under it. So I took my tweezers and carefully tweaked the part up. No interference now, and shutter/advance work as they should. So I buttoned it up, cleaned the outside up, and mounted the 1.4 on it. Lens is beautiful. No issues with the pads turning to goo. They are crumbling, so a seal kit will be ordered. As you can see on the lens, the rubber grip is long gone and a piece of sticky backed non skid material was cut and wrapped around the lens. This is the stuff that comes on aluminum running boards so your feet do not slip.
Attached Images