Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2020
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,017
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The Pixii makes a lot more sense to me than this camera.
I'd be saving for a Pixii right now if it had a full frame sensor so the lenses wouldn't all be cropped. Just a conventional full frame sensor like the ones in every trendy camera now, leave everything else the same (well, maybe make the shutter button a little more traditional and comfortable).

11-20-2020, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,980
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I'm not sure uber rich people like waiting for gadgets to start working.

I can see a Type A personality bonds trader buying one. Then hurling it out the window of his Maserati.
Quattroporte or MC20?
11-20-2020, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,977
I think a good photographer will be able to capture good images with this camera. That probably goes without saying. But the experience of taking those photos will be frustrating compared to a traditional ILC or even a camera like a GR III.

There's a reason why most cameras have particular buttons and dials and replacing them with an OLED touch screen is not really adequate. I can change any exposure setting on my K-1 or K-3 camera without taking the camera from my eye -- not so easy with this sort of thing. It really isn't about the price -- that's really expensive, but if the camera looked really functional, I think people would just feel the way they do about Leica gear. This just doesn't look like a joy to use.
11-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pres589's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wichita, KS
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I'd be saving for a Pixii right now if it had a full frame sensor so the lenses wouldn't all be cropped. Just a conventional full frame sensor like the ones in every trendy camera now, leave everything else the same (well, maybe make the shutter button a little more traditional and comfortable).
A full frame sensor from five years ago would have been sufficient. I agree that having it be a crop body was an odd step backwards. Ultimately if this was the kind of camera I wanted I'd be shopping for a used Leica M9 or something similar. Pixii is an interesting concept but not one I would spend my money on.

11-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,980
It appears so far that the ZX1 has had a less-favourable reception than the K-01 had, even here. I realise they’re two quite different cameras.

On the plus side, the leaf shutter was probably a good idea, but it’s mated to a 35mm lens, which I don’t think was. Perhaps they’ll offer supplementary lenses for a wider or longer view, later.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-20-2020 at 04:05 PM.
11-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #36
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 14,377
Original Poster
The K-01 wasn't bad; just a bit unconventional, and you didn't really gain anything for the lost viewfinder. Even its AF wasn't the slowest.
11-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Kevin B123's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,368
I find it surprising that such an apparent dud could find it's way to market, did they do no testing of this thing? unless of course they did and this is the improved version.

11-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,980
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The K-01 wasn't bad; just a bit unconventional, and you didn't really gain anything for the lost viewfinder. Even its AF wasn't the slowest.
I wasn’t suggesting it was bad, but it did receive a hell of a drubbing here. Mostly, at the time, I recall the styling and price were the main points of objection.

In the case of the ZX1, I don’t mind its styling, but for what it is I wouldn’t consider the price to be anywhere near reasonable, especially when you stack it up against the Leica Q2. For the difference, you could buy a very nice Apple or Android tablet and have some decent screen real estate to do your processing on, let alone everything else one of those would provide.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-20-2020 at 10:07 PM.
11-20-2020, 07:31 PM   #39
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2020
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,017
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
A full frame sensor from five years ago would have been sufficient. I agree that having it be a crop body was an odd step backwards. Ultimately if this was the kind of camera I wanted I'd be shopping for a used Leica M9 or something similar. Pixii is an interesting concept but not one I would spend my money on.
The global shutter seems like a feature they were really touting, but it's at the expense of literally everything else in the camera. I'd have ditched it a long time ago, at least for an introductory model.
11-21-2020, 01:35 AM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 14,377
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I wasnít suggesting it was bad, but it did receive a hell of a drubbing here. Mostly, at the time, I recall the styling and price were the main points of objection.

In the case of the ZX1, I donít mind its styling, but for what it is I wouldnít consider the price to be anywhere near reasonable, especially when you stack it up against the Leica Q2. For the difference, you could buy a very nice Apple or Android tablet and have some decent screen real estate to do your processing on, let alone everything else one of those would provide.
Sure; I was just offering my opinion on why the ZX-1 is less favorably received. The K-01 had its issues, as you say its unusual styling and price (many MILCs didn't had a viewfinder back then), but the ZX-1 has more serious issues, and it's more seriously overpriced.
My issue with the K-01 is that it didn't give me anything for the removal of the viewfinder.
My issue with the ZX-1 is that it doesn't work as a camera. It's fundamentally crippled.

By the way, Mike hoped they'll implement an exposure compensation dial through a firmware update. Sorry, they can't. Both wheels are marked so their function is fixed, and there's just one programmable button.
11-21-2020, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,977
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I wasnít suggesting it was bad, but it did receive a hell of a drubbing here. Mostly, at the time, I recall the styling and price were the main points of objection.

In the case of the ZX1, I donít mind its styling, but for what it is I wouldnít consider the price to be anywhere near reasonable, especially when you stack it up against the Leica Q2. For the difference, you could buy a very nice Apple or Android tablet and have some decent screen real estate to do your processing on, let alone everything else one of those would provide.
The K-01 is like a stripped down K-50, stuck in live view and limited to three shot bursts in RAW. The K-01s were priced at 750 dollars, as I recall, which was quite a bit more than for the K-50s at the time.

I do think the recipe for a flop is poor functionality combined with high price and the hope that styling will carry the day.
11-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 15,075
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Quattroporte or MC20?
The advantage of the Quattroporte is that you can pretend it's your family sedan ... you pick up the kids in it, do the supermarket run, etc ...
11-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,980
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The advantage of the Quattroporte is that you can pretend it's your family sedan ... you pick up the kids in it, do the supermarket run, etc ...
I’m with you on that one. Did you ever read Alexei Sayle’s Maserati road test article (in Car or Octane, I think)?

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 11-23-2020 at 04:11 PM.
11-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 15,075
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Iím with you on that one. Did you ever read Alexei Saleís Maserati road test article (in Car or Octane, I think)?
No, but I admire Alexei Sayle's comic work.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dpr, issues, jpegs, lightroom, review, time, zeiss, zeiss zx-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real Estate Photography - Awful Colours FozzFoster Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 30 07-05-2019 07:12 PM
Sony A100 awful battery life Cerebum Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 05-18-2019 08:05 AM
Awful! 43mm f/1.9 limited silver. Just Awful tzrenz0 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-02-2013 04:13 PM
Olympus E5 Finally Reviewed on DPR MrPetkus Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 0 02-04-2011 08:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top