Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The "A for auto" is available on almost any camera (except Leica, I think - or maybe they have it too?), and fixed lens simplification can be achieved by attaching one's favourite lens to any ILC and never removing it
None of my cameras even have a shutter speed or iso dial. Some of my lenses have A settings but they won't change my camera to TV mode. So in other words you are missing the point. It's a very elegant ui to achieve what Pentax do with a whole bunch of buttons dials and options.

Fixed lens cameras are different as they make you work differently. It's not just the tech that makes a camera as Pentax users should know. I find I take different pictures with different style cameras. The most efficient isn't always the best, again as we should know. If you consider the money it makes absolutely no sense for most but so many people have senseless amounts of money. A different experience might be enough.

11-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
None of my cameras even have a shutter speed or iso dial. Some of my lenses have A settings but they won't change my camera to TV mode. So in other words you are missing the point. It's a very elegant ui to achieve what Pentax do with a whole bunch of buttons dials and options.

Fixed lens cameras are different as they make you work differently. It's not just the tech that makes a camera as Pentax users should know. I find I take different pictures with different style cameras. The most efficient isn't always the best, again as we should know. If you consider the money it makes absolutely no sense for most but so many people have senseless amounts of money. A different experience might be enough.
I can't dispute your preferences, I can only say I have a very different opinion. If you like it and find it elegant...

But no, the ZX-1 cannot possibly achieve what Pentax does. For example, it has no direct access to ISO and exposure compensation.
I can appreciate different styles of interface, but not ones so limited.
11-19-2020, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm absolutely not missing the point... I just see things differently than you.

You make it sound as if Pentax's reliance on buttons and dials is a negative aspect compared to the ZX1's screen-based UI and minimal physical controls, and perhaps for you it is... whereas I contend that enthusiast and professional cameras need a good number of dedicated, well-placed, physical controls (that Pentax is adding more to the K-3III delights me).

A tablet or phone with an on-screen keyboard is cool, elegant and uncomplicated - until you need to type more than a few characters in one sitting, or have to keep switching back and forth between different elements of the character set. A physical keyboard may not be as elegant, but it works best for that application. The most elegant solution, it seems, isn't always the best.

As I say, we just see things differently

I have fixed lens cameras too (indeed, I cut my teeth with the Lomo LC-A 35mm compact ), and I agree they make you work differently. Incidentally, my old Samsung GX-1L is fitted with my DA35 f/2.4, and I haven't changed that lens in over a year. I use it just like my fixed lens cameras... I think with that field of view when I'm using that combo.

I'm not saying the Zeiss ZX1 doesn't offer some neat design features. It definitely does. I haven't used the camera myself, and nor have you (I think?), so we can only base our respective, differing opinions on what we've read and watched online. I'll repeat what I said previously - I hope Zeiss does well with the ZX1. I have my doubts that many folks will see it being worth $6K plus Lightroom subscription. Maybe, though, there will be enough - especially if you add in those who buy it just because it's Zeiss, and because they can...
11-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Its a different camera than the K-1 no use comparing features.

Its just a nice idea to focus so much on the exposure triangle, haptics and deliver a fixed lens. If it gets there I dont know.

Hopefully we'll see more cameras like this and the x-pro 3 that push the experience rather than the tech. I think some company made a video about principles showing they are onto a similar thing.

11-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Its a different camera than the K-1 no use comparing features.

Its just a nice idea to focus so much on the exposure triangle, haptics and deliver a fixed lens. If it gets there I dont know.
They don't seem to have fully thought through the exposure triangle aspect, though.

From DPR's review:

QuoteQuote:
that ISO dial should really be an exposure compensation dial or at least a multi-purpose dial with exposure compensation as an option: using the touchscreen takes my focus away from my image as I try to dial in +2/3 EV instead of +1 2/3 EV
Hopefully they'll implement that in a firmware update.

Also from DPR's review:

QuoteQuote:
The design is striking, and there are probably well-off photographers out there who want as simple a shooting experience as possible, but still want to be able to fine-tune their images in post
Here, I think the reviewer hit the nail on the head. It's an impressive-looking camera that, for the most part, offers a simple shooting experience (assuming you don't need to dig into screen-controlled settings mid-shot) and in-camera post-processing, aimed at those for whom $6K+ really doesn't matter. I think there's a market - I just hope for Zeiss' sake it's big enough.

Hopefully we'll see more cameras like this
We'll have to agree to disagree on that A big part of the shooting experience - for me - is the dials, buttons, wheels etc. That's how I want to control a camera. It's not about tech... it's about being in immediate control in a way that I find comfortable and convenient. My preferences won't be the same as others, of course...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.
11-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Even the K1000 allowed for compensating the exposure (by using the film speed setting). Elegance in operation is not crippling.
11-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a dumpster fire, I'm afraid. 'Build mirrorless, and customers will come'. 'Make it expensive, and rich customers will come.'

11-19-2020, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sounds like a dumpster fire, I'm afraid. 'Build mirrorless, and customers will come'. 'Make it expensive, and rich customers will come.'
I'm sure folks will think I'm being unduly negative in saying this, but when the pandemic restrictions are lifted and Hollywood awards events return, I truly expect the ZX1 to be front and centre in the celebrity gifting suites. If they can get the camera into the hands of a few movie stars and other attending celebrities, that should be good for generating a few hundred or 1,000+ sales purely from the impressionable "I want the same camera as actor X" crowd. Add that to sales from genuine, well-heeled enthusiasts (and professionals?) who are prepared to look past the significant shortcomings, and Zeiss might just make a fist of it...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-19-2020 at 05:34 PM.
11-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I very much doubt Leica’s Q2 will be worried by this new Zeiss competitor.
11-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm sure folks will think I'm being unduly negative in saying this, but when the pandemic restrictions are lifted and Hollywood awards events return, I truly expect the ZX1 to be front and centre in the celebrity gifting suites. If they can get the camera into the hands of a few movie stars and other attending celebrities, that should be good for generating a few hundred or 1,000+ sales purely from the impressionable "I want the same camera as actor X" crowd. Add that to sales from genuine, well-heeled enthusiasts (and professionals?) who are prepared to look past the significant shortcomings, and Zeiss might just make a fist of it...
Everyone has that game plan, Mike - the social influencer.

But you have to hand over serious cash to the movie star, not just the product. It's worth it for big cosmetics or clothing lines, or phones, but I think a camera, like a fishing boat, would struggle with today's celebrities as a fit.

Zeiss certainly have no history of this sales strategy, and I think it's a brave time for them to start. That's if they do it. The product's launched, it doesn't seem to have any celeb signed up.
11-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price point was always going to put it well out of my range, but it's still a bit disappointing to see such an innovative concept seemingly dead in the water.

The Pixii rangefinder, while yet another gimped concept, might have a better idea than this software-packed camera by making a very robust smartphone connection instead of trying to give you everything you could want on a screen on the camera. It would be really cool to see something in between both of these, like a great sensor/lens combo with minimal extraneous controls other than exposure settings, but an always-on connection and a robust app with complete editing as well as camera settings built in.
11-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

This camera seems to me like a status symbol and test like Nikon's Noct Z lens. I think they introduced it for the sake of introducing an idea. Obviously it will sell in very small numbers, some to random wealthy people and some to collectors (also wealthy).

I personally see the biggest flaw in this camera is that it has a slow interface, which takes 20 seconds to start up. And you have to turn it off or the battery will drain like crazy.
11-19-2020, 08:17 PM - 3 Likes   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I personally see the biggest flaw in this camera is that it has a slow interface, which takes 20 seconds to start up. And you have to turn it off or the battery will drain like crazy.
Yes, I'm not sure uber rich people like waiting for gadgets to start working.

I can see a Type A personality bonds trader buying one. Then hurling it out the window of his Maserati.
11-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pixii makes a lot more sense to me than this camera.
11-19-2020, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, I'm not sure uber rich people like waiting for gadgets to start working.

I can see a Type A personality bonds trader buying one. Then hurling it out the window of his Maserati.
hahahaha that is so funny!