Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I'll stick with OVFs as long as they are available. I'm not particularly interested in most of the bells and whistles that show up in an EVF and I don't do much video (none with an ILC).

11-25-2020, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I'd heard that AF was more refined on the A7C but I can't see how much real-world difference it might make, or that it's not possible for Sony to release a firmware update to improve the A7iii's AF more inline with that of the A7C.
One highlight is touch AF with 4K video.

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
The battery life was what surprised me most. Excellent, not just for a mirrorless camera, but in general.
Indeed, it never seems to get depleted, and the percentage display is very interesting!

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Nice writeup.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I do like that mirrorless cameras have more AF points spread out to make composition & tracking easier. I'm doing major camera & lens purchases next year. Will be a Pentax K-3III or a FF Sony E-mount body or a FF Nikon Z-mount body? I guess I'll know by November of next year.
True about the AF points. Note that the K-1 with live view comes pretty close for all intended purposes. The Sony does offer the capability to create really small AF points.

I have good hopes that the announced AF K-to-E converter will let me live the best of both worlds.
11-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think I'll stick with OVFs as long as they are available. I'm not particularly interested in most of the bells and whistles that show up in an EVF and I don't do much video
I like the possibility to have live view + an OVF, but for traveling light, I do enjoy the small size of the A7C.
11-25-2020, 04:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have good hopes that the announced AF K-to-E converter will let me live the best of both worlds.
It will be interesting and lets hope its up to standard.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I do enjoy the small size of the A7C.

Yes very appealing, there should be some FF pancakes too(could be some now?)

11-26-2020, 12:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

So you did not miss the larger EVF for ease of manual focusing?

I'll probably upgrade my 7-8yr old A7 to the A7III if the Monster Adapter works well enough.
11-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes very appealing, there should be some FF pancakes too(could be some now?)
Tamron has a trio of small primes, 20-24-35 F2.8 (with 2:1 macro, not too shabby).

Samyang has the "tiny" lineup, some very small lenses with again F2.8 apertures. They also have some small primes outside the tiny line (most notably a 75mm F1.8 which is seen as a marvellously quirky and unique focal length by people not used to looking at other brands).

Sony has some decent-size lenses, but nothing close to a FF pancake. In APS-C they do to some extent.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
So you did not miss the larger EVF for ease of manual focusing?
I have never used a larger EVF so no opinion, what I have works well enough even with glasses.
11-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This was a good feature comparison, which is appropriate as most people want the most features - even if they never use them. I've been a film SLR user since 1965 (starting with the Pentax H1a), and never even moved to autofocus, let along dSLR. (Well, I've tried dSLRs including a K5, but could never get past the tiny tunnel-view viewfinders that are so poor for manual focus, even compared to my old H1a.) I finally tried the original Sony A7 body for my extensive film-era manual lenses, and found the EVF much superior to dSLR for manual focus, as it works well for judging sharpness (leaving the focus aids turned off). I haven't touched a dSLR since.
I like spot-metering, and the EVF of the A7 shows how the scene brightness changes as you meter different "spots" of the scene in manual exposure modes. A big plus for EVF implementation.
I know the Sony menus are criticized a lot, but I hardly use them once I had the camera set for the way I work.
The A7C might be a good replacement once my A7 stops working, but otherwise I see no reason to change.

11-27-2020, 07:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
could never get past the tiny tunnel-view viewfinders that are so poor for manual focus
The only solution for this on Pentax would be the K-1. Large, bright viewfinder, and the LCD screen (with a wonderful tilting mechanism) and magnification for MF. You're already set up, but if you ever wish to revisit Pentax that would be the way to go, or maybe the forthcoming K-3 mk 3.

The A7C doesn't have a lare viewfinder, although I find it very good in use.